Charles McPherson

catesta

Arguably my favorite is - Charles McPherson - Live At The Cellar - Cellar Live 000726

This is simply a fabulous session that anyone who likes McPherson needs to get.

A big strong HELL YEAH on that one! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll add this to my list. I looked at it on Amazon a moment ago and there's no real info. I don't recognize the cats. Also, where's the Cellar?

Edited by Mark Stryker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arguably my favorite is - Charles McPherson - Live At The Cellar - Cellar Live 000726

This is simply a fabulous session that anyone who likes McPherson needs to get.

A big strong HELL YEAH on that one! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll add this to my list. I looked at it on Amazon a moment ago and there's no real info. I don't recognize the cats. Also, where's the Cellar?

The Cellar is in Vancouver and I heartily join in the praise on the Cellar Live date.

i just love Charles and always have. i might have written about this earlier but i used to literally sit at his feet (in the audience, that is) when he played with Mingus in NY in the '60s. most recently, i saw him in August in NY at the Charlie Parker Festival playing with Barry Harris et al. he's as wonderful as ever.

• 7 months later...

A happy 70th birthday to Mr. McPherson--I devoted this week's Night Lights program to him by way of tribute, focusing primarily on his 1960s and early 70s recordings (including one side with Charles Mingus--the other strong influence in McPherson's music, in addition to Charlie Parker):

Charles McPherson's Post-Bird Bop

Happy Birthday!

I picked up this Gambit boot in the summer sales, some terrific blowing by McPherson on it:

c4503.jpg

The Many Faces of Art Farmer

line up is:

Art Farmer (flhrn), Charles McPherson (as), Tommy Flanagan (p), Steve Swallow (b), Ron Carter (b), Bobby Thomas (d).

• 8 years later...

I think Charles McPherson got his influences from the more mellow side of Bird. His playing, even with Mingus always reminded me of a relaxed more laid back side of Bird. He is a wonderful musician and I can enjoy his playing very much.

I think my first hearing experiences were the post Dolphy Mingus recordings, stuff like "Monterey" and "Minneapolis", and the marathon session 1970 for the french America label.

He was part of the 1980 edition of Nat Adderley`s tourband consisting of

Nat Adderley cornet, voc
Charles McPherson as
Jerome Richardson ts, fl
Hal Galper piano
Walter Booker bass
Roy McCurdy drums

Wonderful music, unfortuntaely this band was never (official) recorded ....

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

jhoots, can you send me information on the Santa Fe Jazz Festival. I may decide to come to Santa Fe to hear Charles McPherson in July.

I was unable to find any useful information online.

Go to: outpostspace.org & click on NEW MEXICO JAZZ FESTIVAL

• 3 years later...

That's the way it should be. I remember giving my copy of Michael Howell's LP "The Looking Glass" to conga player Tom Nicholas who was on the album but didn't have a copy. 

And when I learned from Tjader biographer S. Duncan Reid that Paul Horn, with whom he was very close, didn't have a copy of his own album for RCA "Jazz Suites For the Mass Texts" I contacted a friend who had a copy. He digitized the album and de-noised it, and we sent cleaned-up CDR copies to California. Paul was delighted.

52 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

That's the way it should be. I remember giving my copy of Michael Howell's LP "The Looking Glass" to conga player Tom Nicholas who was on the album but didn't have a copy. 

And when I learned from Tjader biographer S. Duncan Reid that Paul Horn, with whom he was very close, didn't have a copy of his own album for RCA "Jazz Suites For the Mass Texts" I contacted a friend who had a copy. He digitized the album and de-noised it, and we sent cleaned-up CDR copies to California. Paul was delighted.

Very cool. :tup

• 1 year later...
On 27/04/2003 at 1:00 PM, JSngry said:

Although tagged (perhaps fairly) as a "bebop ghost" early in his career, he soon moved past the recreative and established his own distinct, wholly personal voice.

This is a old thread (19 years), but I’m struck by this excellent turn of phrase, which I assume wasn’t meant pejoratively.

58 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

This is a old thread (19 years), but I’m struck by this excellent turn of phrase, which I assume wasn’t meant pejoratively.

I think "bebop ghost" was likely meant pejoratively. For instance, in the liner notes (by Ira Gitler) to the "Live at the Five Spot" album an anonymous "foreign pianist" is quoted describing the group "contemptuously" as "ghosts".

"bebop ghost" was not my phrase, not exactly, and it had no intent one way or the other except to convey the sense that some had (and expressed) at the time. Given the fervor of those times, one might be excused for thinking this at a first, superficial listening 

No matter, McPherson wasted no time in becoming a quite individual voice.