Upcoming box sets

According to the March issue of Downbeat, the following boxes on on the horizon:

Mosaic: The Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet Sessions.

Prestige: The Complete Dexter Gordon Prestige Recordings.

Verve: The Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions. This is the studio equivalent of the JATP. I assume it will include players like Parker, Webster, Hodges, Shavers, Peterson, Kessell and Heard. Downbeat says most of these sessions have never been released on CD.

Had not heard any of this before. The Jazztet recordings are particularly welcome. I had been toying recently with the idea of picking up Japanese reissues of all these recordings. Now I can just sit tight and wait for the Mosaic.

Up over and out.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the March issue of Downbeat, the following boxes on on the horizon:

Verve: The Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions. This is the studio equivalent of the JATP. I assume it will include players like Parker, Webster, Hodges, Shavers, Peterson, Kessell and Heard. Downbeat says most of these sessions have never been released on CD.

Had not heard any of this before. The Jazztet recordings are particularly welcome. I had been toying recently with the idea of picking up Japanese reissues of all these recordings. Now I can just sit tight and wait for the Mosaic.

Up over and out.

Wow! The Jazztet!!!!! HELL, FINALLY SOMEONE IS DOING THEM JUSTICE!!!!

I only hope this is not a bad joke!!

The Granz Jam Sessions will have lots of cool stuff for anybody who likes JATP, I guess. One of those sessions, or rather, a half session, was included in the Parker 10CD Verve box.

ubu

About time that Verve doid something about these jam sessions. They only dealt with the Charlie Parker material for the Bird Box. All of the great players from the Granz stable took part in those jams. I'll add in the names of Wardell Gray, Stan Getz, Lionel Hampton to the list.

Some superb music there.

All those Verve jams will be great to have on cd, and I believe only the one including Parker was officially released on cd (I could be wrong). I've enjoyed them for a while. Not ground-breaking, but great to hear, and different (to my ears at least) than the JATP performances. . . a bit less "grandstanding". . . . ("Grantzstanding?")

All the Jazztet material will be great to have under one roof as well, especially done the "Mosaic way"!

("Grantzstanding?")

:g

http://www.jazzdisco.org/verve/

This site - I have no idea how accurate it is - gives you an idea what these Jams were about. Browse through the chronological session indices. I don't know in what year the Granz Jam Sessions started, but I think it was 1950.

Later today I could post the info, if you're interested. I copied all those entries into a word-file recently.

ubu

Verve: The Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions.  This is the studio equivalent of the JATP.  I assume it will include players like Parker, Webster, Hodges, Shavers, Peterson, Kessell and Heard.  Downbeat says most of these sessions have never been released on CD.

The Granz Jam Sessions will have lots of cool stuff for anybody who likes JATP, I guess. One of those sessions, or rather, a half session, was included in the Parker 10CD Verve box.

If this stuff is as good as the session with Parker, this is one to get.

Hell, I haven't even got the JATP set! :rolleyes:

What astonishes me most, however, is this--that Mosaic has evidently gained access to the Argo vaults!

Considering their rather good relationship to Universal - maybe there's some insight that they can make a little money, as the deal with European distribution of the Verve Mosaics shows.

The prospect of dozens of possible reissue projects from the Argo vaults almost makes me faint.

Mosaic has to look for new claims after Blue Note has been exhaustingly reissued.

Verve: The Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions.  This is the studio equivalent of the JATP.  I assume it will include players like Parker, Webster, Hodges, Shavers, Peterson, Kessell and Heard.  Downbeat says most of these sessions have never been released on CD.

Had not heard any of this before.  The Jazztet recordings are particularly welcome.  I had been toying recently with the idea of picking up Japanese reissues of all these recordings.  Now I can just sit tight and wait for the Mosaic.

Up over and out.

I did get all the Japanese Jazztet reissues... Oh well, the Mosaic set will probably have more material by this great band.

So this will cover the 1969-73 era, I take it. Man, that's a chapter of Gordon that my ears have completely failed to tap yet... what's the group consensus on early-70s Dex Prestige? (I'm assuming they won't include the 1960 album RESURGENCE, which was released on Jazzland.)

Edited by ghost of miles

So this will cover the 1969-73 era, I take it. Man, that's a chapter of Gordon that my ears have completely failed to tap yet... what's the group consensus on early-70s Dex Prestige?

I'll not presume to speak for the group, but for my tastes, picking and choosing amongst the individual albums might be the best way to go unless

• You're a TOTAL Dex-head
  • There's a BUNCH of prime newly issued material here
  • The set is priced at "can't say no" levels

I'd like to see more material from THE CHASE & THE JUMPIN' BLUES sessions myself. Those are truly great, "essential" items I think. The rest ranges from "damn good" to "ok". Although, sometimes an album is worth getting for the sidemen more than for Dex, like the date w/Thad & Hank Jones. So maybe the box would be the way to go if you have little or none of this stuff already. Could be!

Just my opinion.

All these projected sets are good news, but I'm really happy about the Jazztet one.  A "must have" for me.

:)  :tup  ;)

A Mosaic Jazztet set is a dream come true for me too! I will most definitely pre-order this one! :excited: $$$ :w

I picked up several of the Jazztet's albums on LP, too. "Another Git Together" on a very very expensive japanese pressing... But hey! It's great news that these records will get the Mosaic treatment!

Jazztet meets John Lewis is a killer, by the way!

ubu

I'll not presume to speak for the group, but for my tastes, picking and choosing amongst the individual albums might be the best way to go unless

I'd like to see more material from THE CHASE & THE JUMPIN' BLUES sessions myself. Those are truly great, "essential" items I think. The rest ranges from "damn good" to "ok". Although, sometimes an album is worth getting for the sidemen more than for Dex, like the date w/Thad & Hank Jones. So maybe the box would be the way to go if you have little or none of this stuff already. Could be!

Just my opinion.

If it truly is 11 (!) CDs as stated on Jazzmatazz it MUST include lots of unreleased material! There were only 10 LPs and 1 CD with a live concert from the vaults.

It just occurred to me that I could go to Tower and return the Birdhouse CD, then wait for the box.

Now I have to decide if I want the box or not. I'm not as much of a box set fan as others here, but this one just might be worth it.

Does anyone know how many CDs this will be? What is contained in this set (personnel etc.)

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Just my opinion.

If it truly is 11 (!) CDs as stated on Jazzmatazz it MUST include lots of unreleased material! There were only 10 LPs and 1 CD with a live concert from the vaults.

I'm thinking maybe more live stuff from THE CHASE sessions, which would only be good news. BLUES A LA SUISSE was pretty much the entire set, right? Otherwise, it might mean lots of alternates, and I don't know how excited I'm going to be about that.

Also, did Dex do any cameos on Prestige besides on that Booker Ervin date? Oh yeah, the Hampton Hawes Montreux side, right? One cut?

What's all the albums anyway? Here's what I know of. Ratings are mine alone, and might seem harsh, but w/Dex, the bar was high, so was he, and sometimes that worked out better than others.

• The Tower Of Power (****)
  • More Power (*** 1/2)
  • The Panther (*** 1/2)
  • The Chase (*****)
  • The Jumpin' Blues (*****)
  • Ca'Purunge (***)
  • Generation (*** 1/2)
  • Tangerine (***)
  • Blues Ala Suisse (don't remember)
  • the Left Bank thing - not a Prestige side per se, but hey... (haven't ehard yet)

Anything else, asides from the two aforementioned cameos?

Geez, if they can get 11 cds out of THAT by doing anything other than straight single-album reproductions, and maybe another Left Band date...