Andrew Hill "Mosaic Select" SPECULATION thread...

Good news discographically, and bound to be at least interesting musically, but the One for One not-yet-on-CD stuff is not really a priority, to be honest, and the stuff that was less good than what got on the LP might not be that thrilling.

Folks who don't yet have all the issued BN LPs should probably be wishing for those.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, about the already-released "One For One" material, I happen to really like half of it. That side with Tolliver, Maupin, and Pat Patrick is as good as anything Hill recorded for BN after 1966. And, it's totally got that early 70's "Strata East / Tribe" vibe to it too. :wub:

I'm certainly less enamored with the other side (the one with the string quartet), but I still find it interesting (or at least two of the three cuts are).

As far as "priority" goes -- once "Dance With Death" comes out on CD in October, then the only Hill BN material that hasn't ever been released anywhere on CD is that second "One For One" LP, plus all the unreleased sessions. Seems like exactly the right priority to me.

I think there's a good chance we'll see more Hill Conns in the future, of "Andrew!!!" and "Compulsion". And then "Judgement" and/or "Smokestack" are likely to be RVG's at some point too.

Judgment and Smokestack are already out there as JRVGs.

Plainly for those of us who have everything else by Hill this box will be a priority, if only in the sense that there is no more Hill to hear. But plainly if, at the time of One for One, the unreleased material was judged less interesting than the string quartet sides, then maybe it just isn't that interesting.

A set for the collector who already has everything, maybe? My sense is that people with the spare $$$ should get on to Hiroshi if they don't have Judgment and Smokestack in any version.

Anyway I am not dissing this issue - I'll buy it.

PS I am sure there is other Hill material (non-BN) which has never made it to CD. AFAIK California with Love was never issued after the original LP.

Have you ever heard 'Les Trinitaires? I have never even seen it.

Edited by David Ayers

I have Trinitaires on CD. I can't remember right now where I got it, probably an import through Amazon. I like it, though not as much as his classic BN sessions or Beautiful Day for that matter.

I have Trinitaires on CD.  I can't remember right now where I got it, probably an import through Amazon.  I like it, though not as much as his classic BN sessions or Beautiful Day for that matter.

I had this and traded it in that old jazz CD trading group (damn, what was the name of it - probably dormant since 1999 or 2000 - oh yes, Jazz Trading Post).

Anyway ... this was not my cup of tea. I enjoy most of his solo stuff but this really seemed dense and plodding. As I recall, my issue was more with the plodding than the dense. Seems the piano was not all that well recorded either.

"From CA ..." is a nice one.

Edited by Eric

I have it and enjoy it although I will confess to sometimes being a little less than objective when it comes to Hill. Its not my favorite Hill solo outing, but it is interesting to compare the versions of a couple of the titles done on the solo disc, with the later versions done by the sextet on Dusk.

As far as "priority" goes -- once "Dance With Death" comes out on CD in October,

Did you happen to find out if there might be an extra track (alt. take, etc) on this one?

Yes, there's an alternate of the title track, which is good - cuz I think the album is otherwise less than 40 minutes long (my memory tells me something in the 37-ish range).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Sounds like Trinitaires is not a keeper. Still, I might pick it up pre-owned if I see it.

I don't have one yet, so if anyone gets one -- and doesn't care for it -- I'd be happy to take it off your hands (and I've got some trade-bait).

Or if anyone has one to spare, drop me a PM.

Sounds like Trinitaires is not a keeper. Still, I might pick it up pre-owned if I see it.

I don't have one yet, so if anyone gets one -- and doesn't care for it -- I'd be happy to take it off your hands (and I've got some trade-bait).

Or if anyone has one to spare, drop me a PM.

Cadence stocks the CD for $14.00

Andrew, told me shortly after Passing Ships was released that Mosaic was planning to put this stuff out...great news to see that it is confirmed.I have not heard any of this music but he once told me that he was personally satified with "all" of the things he had recorded for BN.

As of a few months ago there were no recording plans in the works with Palmetto.Most recently he has been working with the Anglo American Big band in Europe.

As for Les Trinitaires it gets better with repeated listening,BTW the great man himself gave me the copy thats in my collection.

As of a few months ago there were no recording plans in the works with Palmetto.Most recently he has been working with the Anglo American Big band in Europe.

I find it astonishing that no label is actively and regularly recording him. If I owned a label the first thing I'd do is sign Andrew Hill, surround him with some good young players, and set the tape rolling like Norman Granz did with Art Tatum.

LES TRINITAIRES is a keeper as far as I'm concerned...pretty much anything by Hill is. Look, they may not all work out to be "his best" but the guy isn't capable of making an indifferent recording. There are always little high points and fascinations. LES TRINITAIRES is no exception, and the opportunity to hear him play solo at that length (most of the pieces are VERY long and the running time of the disc is generous) is a real luxury. Well recorded too. The whole, way too small Jazz Friends catalog is worthy of close attention. Wish they had better distribution in the U.S., only place I was able to find any of their titles new was in New York City where I snagged the whole lot.

Edited by DrJ

• 1 month later...

Andrew is tentatively scheduled to record a new session for Palmetto in October - let's keep our fingers crossed.  I've known him for 25 years, and have never known anyone so reluctant to go into the studio!

Frank, any idea what size or kind of group he's planning to record with in October?? Whatever it is, I'm there!! Hope is a smaller group, actually, with plenty of room for more solo time from Andrew.

And a belated welcome to the board!! Good to have you around these parts. :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

There are some interesting free downloads on the Palmetto web site right here. Not the least of which are 2 tracks by Andrew described as follows:

Andrew's "A Beautiful Day" live sessions involved a great deal of editing in order to be able to present all of the tunes on one CD. Here are the complete unedited versions of 2 pieces that are on the CD.

There are a couple of tracks by Frank Kimbrough, too! B)

Hi guys - last I heard, it was going to be a mix of trio and quartet. Andrew is quite mercurial, though (that's why we love him and his music), so anything could happen. Andrew and his wife Joanne, Matt Wilson and I had a lovely dinner with the Palmetto folks last week after the Jazz Awards in NYC, and though we didn't discuss it there, later conversation led me to believe that it's happening. We'll stay on his case, and with any luck we'll have something new to listen to by next year.

Thanks for the welcomes, plugs, etc. - much appreciated - this is a great board!