Andrew Hill "Mosaic Select" SPECULATION thread...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very exciting news. If this one can come out, perhaps the complete New York Art Quartet recordings (with the ESP aside) can come out.

Note that Andrew plays curved soprano on the Chained session. There's actually a photo of him with this horn in the Wolff book. The tray insert photos from Passing Ships and Grass Roots, which are actually the same photo, are also, I'm pretty sure, from the Chained session. It will be very interesting to hear how Andrew approached the saxophone. Didn't he start off as a saxophone player?

It will also be very interesting to hear Robin Kenyatta play Andrew's music. Man, I hope this one truly does come out.

I don't expect them all to be good. I expect some, maybe even most, to be problematic in one way or another.

BUT I DON'T CARE!

This is a "silent period" of a major artist, a period that has long had me curious (notably re:Leonard Feather's assertation in the ONE FOR ONE liner notes that this was a "difficult" time for Hill, whatever that may or may not mean...) and the historical importance of these sessions will outweigh any such matters.

:tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup

My thought is that they can't be all that choppy, if both Michael and Andrew are in agreement about releasing them. Sure, there'll be rough places, and stuff that coulda had more (or better quality) rehearsal time.

Still, I'll take a "off-day" Andrew Hill session any day, over a whole hell of a lot of other things that I can think of (but I won't name names).

It's like "Passing Ships" -- all over again!!! :excited:

EDIT: And obviously (picking up on Jim's post that I'm quoting)... -- I DON'T CARE EITHER!! - if there's problems with some or most of these sessions.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Man, you are a dreamer... sweet dreams but highly unlikely. ... Good luck untangling all or any of those Fontana sides from whatever legal netherworld they exist in ...

Maybe I am a dreamer. I did e-mail Cuscuna about a year ago, however, regarding this very topic. He replied that he'd love to do it, and would — given the go-ahead from Universal, who owns the rights to most (if not all) of this stuff. Some of it was actually recorded at that place ... what's it called ... some studio in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. Never heard of it. :P

seriously, not to make my previous post sound too silly, we know Hill has been rather critical of his releases. Has he heard the tapes again and has he given the green light already or is this still more in the planning phase? I can imagine that some stuff we die to hear will not be included simply because Hill doesn't want it to be heard. That's what I meant with "trainwrecks." To indicate a reluctance from the artist/producer side to put certain stuff out there.

Well, I guess only time will tell. Hopefully most of the material will see the light of day, and I suspect there's at least a decent chance that all of it will (given what Michael has said most recently).

Before today, however, I would have never guessed that Andrew would green-light this. Maybe one or two sessions, perhaps (at most), but to get all of it - was really something I never expected to fly.

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed... :w

Edited by Rooster_Ties