Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Mercer Mosaic Select, CD1!

Have mixed feelings so far...

Really? I've been groovin' along to it far more than I thought I would. A 'sleeper' of a Mosaic IMO - pleasant suprise. Although maybe not one to play back to back all 3 disks (unless it's a choice between that and the entire FF Set ! :) ).

Johnny Mercer Mosaic Select, CD1!

Have mixed feelings so far...

Really? I've been groovin' along to it far more than I thought I would. A 'sleeper' of a Mosaic IMO - pleasant suprise. Although maybe not one to play back to back all 3 disks (unless it's a choice between that and the entire FF Set ! :) ).

I was not in the right mood for this when I started listening to it.

Got better when I jumped to disc 2 and getting even better now that I am listening to disc 3!

Edited by brownie

Jackie McLean 1964-1966

The Consequences recordings. Decent session.

David Rosenthal in his notes remarks " ...for reasons equally hard to understand - it remained unissued until the late '70s when it appeared as part of the 'Blue Note Classics' series." I don't think it's hard to understand why it remained unreleased for almost 15 years. Who needed another one of these in the '60s?

I was not in the right mood for this when I started listening to it.

Got better when I jumped to disc 2 and getting even better now that I am listening to disc 3!

Great to hear - I was beginning to doubt my hearing/judgement ! His interpretations of the tunes are in many cases memorable, I think. Unexpectedly so.

Definite :tup to Scott for compiling this set.

Edited by sidewinder

Jackie McLean 1964-1966

David Rosenthal in his notes remarks " ...for reasons equally hard to understand - it remained unissued until the late '70s when it appeared as part of the 'Blue Note Classics' series." I don't think it's hard to understand why it remained unreleased for almost 15 years. Who needed another one of these in the '60s?

It's one of my favorite McLean dates. :P

Jackie McLean 1964-1966

Mine, too.

P.S. I wrote the notes for that belated 1979 Blue Note Classic issue (the guys in Japan jumbled up the notes, got the typed pages out of order -- think that may have been corrected for the later CD). Also, it's "Consequence," not "Consequences."

Jackie McLean 1964-1966

Mine, too.

P.S. I wrote the notes for that belated 1979 Blue Note Classic issue (the guys in Japan jumbled up the notes, got the typed pages out of order -- think that may have been corrected for the later CD). Also, it's "Consequence," not "Consequences."

As far as the music goes - different strokes.

I never had the LP release or the CD release. Just went by the title given in the Mosaic booklet - listed there as Consequences. I knew the tune was "Consequence", but thought that the album title was Consequences. My bad.

51dz7BamGdL._SL500_AA300_.jpgDiscs 2 and 3

The Jimmy Rowles Trio dates are probably my least favorite sessions of this collection mainly because of the less than ideal sound quality which I was aware of beforehand. The material is ok, but who is to say that I wont come around to it at some future date? The Claire Fischer dates on the otherhand are outstanding. Fischer closes out disc 2 with 4 tracks and the entire 3'rd disc. All in all, a very fine collection. Glad to have been fortunate to get this collection at a reasonable price. Thanks to all for plugging this one.

Edited by Tom 1960

Very fine indeed!

I finally took out my Grachan Moncur Select tonight and had a very first listen to "Evolution" (played discs 1 & 2).

Don't think Morgan adds that much, all in all, and Cranshaw is less interesting than Khan and Ridley. I think among the three McLean/Moncur/Hutcherson albums, "Destination Out" will remain my favourite - because of Roy Haynes and because of the great compositions! But it's a very close call! And of course "Some Other Stuff" is excellent, too - but pretty different in mood, more... sombre, dark. I love it! Will play it tomorrow, along with the "Hipnosis" session, which I've never heard either!