Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My copies of the Ellington Small Groups and Hampton sets arrived today - so I enjoy the first disc of the Duke set on my recently acquired Focal Spirit Classic headphones - great music, great transfers, great listening - I won't regret it.

elling_duke_complete1_102b.jpg

These remasterings sound so much better than the French double LPs ....

My copies of the Ellington Small Groups and Hampton sets arrived today - so I enjoy the first disc of the Duke set on my recently acquired Focal Spirit Classic headphones - great music, great transfers, great listening - I won't regret it.

elling_duke_complete1_102b.jpg

These remasterings sound so much better than the French double LPs ....

I'm glad you snared a copy - and that you're enjoying it.

Charles Mingus The Complete Candid Recordings

Disc 1

I am new to this forum, and perhaps this is the wrong thread for this, but:

I recently listened to a friend's copy of the Mosaic Charles Mingus Candid Rcordings. It is really good with very good sound, IMO. It is out of print and quite spendy. Most of these tracks are on the following albums:

Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, Mingus, Reincarnation of a Lovebird, Mysterious Blues and Newport Rebels.

Has anyone compared these CDs to the Mosaic Box? Recommendations?

256.jpg

Pharoah Sanders - Izipho Zam, disc 4 from the Clifford Jordan set. I'm guessing that this will be my least-played disc in the box in future years.

I was listening to the Izipho Zam session in the car last week. The only track I found a bit 'challenging' on the ear was the one with the yodelling. Other than that - I like it.

Edited by sidewinder

256.jpg

Pharoah Sanders - Izipho Zam, disc 4 from the Clifford Jordan set. I'm guessing that this will be my least-played disc in the box in future years.

I was listening to the Izipho Zam session in the car last week. The only track I found a bit 'challenging' on the ear was the one with the yodelling. Other than that - I like it.

"Challenging" is not a problem for me. (I'm a big Ayler fan.) I just found the Sanders session uninteresting.

Disc 1

I recently listened to a friend's copy of the Mosaic Charles Mingus Candid Rcordings. It is really good with very good sound, IMO. It is out of print and quite spendy. Most of these tracks are on the following albums:

Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, Mingus, Reincarnation of a Lovebird, Mysterious Blues and Newport Rebels.

First, welcome to the forum!! If I may, I'd suggest you start a new thread on this under "discography." You'd be far more likely to get responses there than under this thread!

gregmo

Disc 1

First, welcome to the forum!! If I may, I'd suggest you start a new thread on this under "discography." You'd be far more likely to get responses there than under this thread!

gregmo

Thank you.

The Woody Herman Select, the mid-60s Phillips stuff.

My first (and for a long time, only) exposure to this material was 1964 and I still think that's one of the best "traditional" big band records of the decade. The rest of the material in this set is fine or better, but, really, that 1964 album is one of those "moment in time" things, fresh band, fresh book, everything coming together right before your ears.

No matter what, though, the Nat Pierce/Chuck Andrus/Jake Hanna rhythm section was as identifiale as any, ever, Phil Wilson & Sal Nistico immediately identifiable soloists who always came to play, and Bill Chase...I know, but..you know?

"Hip", sure, and/but whatever. NOT the point, no matter what anybody thinks, one way or the other. The best Woody Herman bands had personalities, big, brash, rude, y'all do that, we'll do this, let's GO. This band had as much personality as any of them, and if they were in the shadow of the First & Second herds chronologically, hey, time is time, can't do anything about that.

I mean, if you're gonna be "that kind" of band, dammit, be THIS that kind of band!

Hard to hit a moving target, ya' know?

And you know how a positive times a negative will result in a negative but a negative times a negative, that magnetpolicity of theoretical-real numberlife? Well, how many ever negatives there are in this times-equation, it must be an even number, because, how/why/HUH, there's no other real explanation.

And ok, one more and I'm out, but does Phil Wilson's break sound like about the only other person would would do that would be Lockjaw?