Blue Note 10" Rarities

Rooster_Ties

Conn SERIES IX (1998) - Which one is your favorite???  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Perhaps I'm not the only one who doesn't own any of these. :unsure:

I own three of them, the McGhee Vol. 1, Foster/Wallington, and Gil Melle, all of which are great. For sheer ear-opening uniqueness I'd vote for the Melle. I was tempted to vote for the one I want the most, Howard McGhee Vol 2/Tal Farlow Quartet. I ended up voting for the one I listen to the most: Frank Foster/George Wallington Showcase.

Others have said this, but I'll reiterate---I wish Blue Note would keep these valuable re-issues in print a little longer.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

i have a special feeling about this particular series since it´s the only one i´ve completed ;)

here in Rio, thoses discs never sold well so it wasn´t so hard to get'em.

my vote is for Julius Watkins. loved that french horn sound :excited:

peace

Marcus Oliveira

Just picked up the Gil Melle'. I may have to change my vote. This is a really good session. I think it really has that 50's feel. It really captures the period. I was surprised how inventive the music is however. A really nice, mellow, set.

I voted for the Howard Mcghee/ Tal Falow because it was my first introduction to the amazing Tal Farlow. This would be a hard choice for me. Both are really great sessions.

This was a good thread and a fun poll. :D:D

I'm really glad to see all of the positive remarks about this group of releases. I've mentioned on this thread and elsewhere that these are my favorite Conns - for many of the same reasons cited above - the unique sounds, first exposures to these artists etc.

BN really did a great job with these.

• 4 years later...

Looking for a thread on Urbie Green and found this. Voted for Watkins. I own/heard all except the Melle and the Foster/Wallington. As others have said about Watkins, its astonishing to hear someone swing so hard on an unwieldy instrument such as a french horn. I like the tunes, Mobley is in fine form and Watkins is ON. Great disk. Runner up would have to be the Tal Farlow side on the flip side of Howard McGhee. Would really like to hear the Melle set.

In case some of you missed it, the Urbie Green was recently reissued on this Fresh Sound CD:

51YG3oJQ8ZL._SS500_.jpg

In addition to the Blue Note 10-incher, it also contains his Vanguard 10-incher, as well as all but one track from his Bethlehem 12" album. Love Locked Out seems to be missing from the latter. Oh well, that album has been reissued in full on its own anyway, so the Fresh Sound in any case at least combines two complete 10" albums.

c4791-3.jpg

c4791-2.jpg

With this I believe all Blue Note 10" albums (not counting leased material) have come out on CD.

Edited by Swinging Swede

Just for info:

Is it because of who owned this material originally (or only leased it on BN) that the FATS SADI 10" BN Lp has escaped most (if not all) of those reissue programs?

Yes - it originally was a Vogue 10" LP. Vogue is now owned by the BMG group. There was/is a Japanese LP sleeve reissue.

At one time I had a few on 10 inch LPs. Then picked up the Japanese 12 inch LPs that combined many of them. Now have the complete CD series. I very much enjoy all of them.

I don't recall mention of the Wynton Kelly Trio session that was out as a 10 inch Lp. That material was later issued on a Blue Note CD which I am pleased to have in my collection.

Since my previous post I'd have to say that the one I listen to the most is the Sal Salvador. Love that disc.

Eddie Costa!

As usual, you hit the nail on the head.

A while back I got a Japanese CD version of a 1956 Sal Salvador Quartet session on Bethlehem called Frivolous Sal. The personnel is almost identical to the bands on the Connoisseur: Salvador, Costa, George Roumanis on bass, and Jimmy Campbell on drums. Nice stuff!

When I saw the results of the poll, I was a bit surprised that the Watkins was so far ahead of the others. But after listening to them all in a row tonight (well, I'm still in the middle of the Melle, so I haven't quite finished yet) I'm no longer surprised. Great session there. But these are all top-notch as far as I'm concerned. Thanks to all for inspiring me to listen to these again.

The first one I bought (in fact, I think it was the only one I bought when they first came out) was the Watkins, primarily because Mobley was on it. At the time, I was more into sixties jazz and found a lot of fifties stuff I'd heard to be too stiff. Several years later, I started getting into jazz recorded during the fifties and before and I picked up the Melle. Then I got a note from True Blue that this batch of Conns was being deleted, so I ordered the McGhee discs.

By this point, the discs had largely become OOP, and I was frustrated because I was finally getting into the ones I owned. I obsessively searched for the others in the series (this was before I was buying things online). Finally, I came upon a used record store that had the entire series...new! It seemed that they had gotten them in when the came out, and nobody had bought them! I was able to get the rest, and I'm very fond of all of them. I listened to them all recently. Hard to pick a favorite! Have to say that I really like that Frank Foster date...

Since my previous post I'd have to say that the one I listen to the most is the Sal Salvador. Love that disc.

Eddie Costa!

As usual, you hit the nail on the head.

A while back I got a Japanese CD version of a 1956 Sal Salvador Quartet session on Bethlehem called Frivolous Sal. The personnel is almost identical to the bands on the Connoisseur: Salvador, Costa, George Roumanis on bass, and Jimmy Campbell on drums. Nice stuff!

He's anything but frivolous. The combination of Salvador and Costa is magic.