A Jazz Crusaders Mosaic!!!

In response to a mail I sent Mosaic regarding the nature of a possible Jazz Crusaders set, as well as some kind of Select of Clare Fischer's Pacific Jazz albums, I got this:

We are working on a Jazz Crusaders Pacific JAzz studio sessions for late

next year. Also a Mosaic Select with the Pacific Jazz trios of Clare

Fischer, Jimmy Rowles, Russ Freeman and Richard Twardzik.

We hope to do something with Fischer's orchestral stuff at some point.

:)

Edited by Daniel A

I suppose these albums would be covered by the Select:

Richard Twardzik The Last Set (1955), Pacific Jazz PJ-37

Richard Twardzik / Russ Freeman Trio (1956), Pacific Jazz PJ-1212

Clare Fischer First Time Out (1962), Pacific Jazz PJ-52

Clare Fischer Surging Ahead (1962), Pacific Jazz PJ-67

and, if World Pacific counts as Pacific Jazz:

Clare Fischer So Danço Samba (1964) World Pacific WP-1830

The only Jimmy Rowles I've found on Pacific Jazz is JWS-506 (Jazz West Coast Series), a compilation named Pianists Galore!, shared between Freeman, Al Haig, Hampton Hawes, Pete Jolly, John Lewis, Carl Perkins, Rowles, Bobby Timmons and Twardzik.

Edited by Daniel A

and, if World Pacific counts as Pacific Jazz:

Clare Fischer So Danço Samba (1964) World Pacific WP-1830

The only Jimmy Rowles I've found on Pacific Jazz is JWS-506 (Jazz West Coast Series), a compilation named Pianists Galore!, shared between Freeman, Al Haig, Hampton Hawes, Pete Jolly, John Lewis, Carl Perkins, Rowles, Bobby Timmons and Twardzik.

Some of the Mosaics containing Pacific Jazz recordings did include WP stuff. So let's hope!

And about Rowles, there was one Rowles trio track on the Shank/Perkins West Coast Classics BN reissue. There might be more, maybe other tracks that are unreleased or recorded during soundchecks or whatever. And then there is - as always with Pacific - the chance that some stuff turns up that has only been released on some of their various artists albums back in the days.

ubu

I guess that's the Jimmy Rowles Liberty album that will be part of the Mosaic Select. Rowles had only a couple of sides under his name out of the Pacific Jazz sessions he took part in.

Always liked that 'Rare - But Well Done' LP. The copy I have is a secondhand one with a number of small scratches. Will look for that Select if this session is there.

Nice versions of 'Remember Me' and 'Chloe' in the eleven tracks that made up the LP.

Great news about the 'Jazz Crusaders' Mosaic and sounds like it's a full Mosaic set and not a Select. Now that I've got hold of just about all their studio sessions on vinyl I'll probably end up getting the Mosaic just coz I want the booklet and the picture on the front of the box.. :D

I can't imagine the piano stuff sounding any good on cd compared to the vinyl.

You don't HAVE to buy it...

and if you do buy it, you don't HAVE to listen to it.

that's what many around here do I believe.... :w

:g

Listen? What's that??

Is THE LAST SET material that's different from TRIO? I was under the impression that TRIO contained all of the work that Twardzik had recorded for PJ as a leader.

Is THE LAST SET material that's different from TRIO? I was under the impression that TRIO contained all of the work that Twardzik had recorded for PJ as a leader.

As I don't have a discography, I just tried to figure out the scope of the set by using the AMG and the Pacific Jazz album listing found here:

http://jazzlabels.klacto.net/pacific.html

The albums I listed were only LPs. Perhaps all of Twardzik's sessions were on the CD release a few years back, no?

Both Twardzik Pacific Jazz LPs had the same titles except 'Just One of Those Things' was missing from PJ 1212.

THE LAST SET (PJ 37) contained the almost the same Twardzik tracks as 1212 (the alt take of "a crutch for the crab" was also first issued on PJ 37), and was released around 1962 I believe, not 1955. Perhaps AMG made a mistake? :o;)

Edited by Jim R