Illinois Jacquet RIP

Michael Fitzgerald

Just got an email starting as follows:

The great tenor saxophonist Illinois Jacquet has just passed away in New York of heart failure this morning Thursday, July 22 around 2 A.M.

Mike

Apparently he played this past Friday with his big band at a Lincoln Center Midsummer Nights Swing event. I didn't catch that, but I did see him play that same gig a few years back and it was a great night.

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

I don't believe in the supernatural, but yesterday I loaded up my living room 5CD with the Mosaic and the Verve " Kid and the Brute set. Played it all day. When the 5 discs came to an end, just pushed the start button again....

10 am 'til 2 am this morning non stop Jacquet................

Now this....

I was loading some of my new CD's on my mp3 player, and skipped over the new LPR release of "Desert Winds." At the last minute, I changed my mind and threw it on there. I'm glad I did. I just discovered Illinois Jacquet in the last year with the Mosaic, and I'm glad I did. Queueing "Desert Winds" up now...

I am going to turn the volume up to 10 tonight for about three or four versions of Flying Home.

Then I'll cool down with that special Blue and Sentimental that he cut for Prestige.

RIP (Will somebody up there let us keep at least a few giants among us for awhile?)

Another original passes.

When the time comes for me to sit down, listen, and honor his memory, I'll probably put on some of his Columbia sides recorded under his own name or with Kenny Burrell, and definitely the version of "Harlem Nocturne" that he recorded for Verve. (I'd try dancing to some of his uptempo early sides, but my wife says that I dance worse than Al Gore, so that's out.)

Rest in peace, Mr. Jacquet. And thanks for sharing your music.