Any RVG Suggestions for 2005?

Kevin Bresnahan

I kinda wish that the RVG series was given over to Reginald "Vicky" Gutenberg at Water. This way, the name of the series could be sustained, and we could hear Water's take on more of the Blue Note catalog.

Either that, or — remember Swinging Swede's old (April 1st) thread on Ron "Verve" Goldblatt?

In all seriousness, I'm glad the series is around, but that last batch greatly dampened my enthusiasm. The pinnacle of the series, for me, was the Doug Hawkins material that Rudy remastered — particularly the unearthed Bud Powell track. Too bad the Elmo Hope sessions didn't make it into that batch.

In 2039, Toshiba/EMI will celebrate Blue Note's centennial by reissuing ... Blue Train, Moanin', Somethin' Else, Cool Struttin', Maiden Voyage, The Sidwinder ... and, if you save all your OBI's and mail them in within six months ... Kenny Burrell's Freedom.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

etherbored, i've got a lot of relatives in italy, i'll be buying that one!

you won't be disappointed. stefano's playing is spot on while the rest of the group (barron/bolto/bonaccorso/riley) does not disappoint. airy + spacious mix courtesey of an all-french engineering/mastering team.

:tup ,

-e-

ps: the one title i've always wished for a nice remaster on is 'matador'... very wasted in it's current state in which all the instruments are mashed together.

The two LPs combined on this were originally recorded for and released on Pacific Jazz and United Artists, respectively. Nothing much to be done about the sound here, I'm afraid.

The two LPs combined on this were originally recorded for and released on Pacific Jazz and United Artists, respectively. Nothing much to be done about the sound here, I'm afraid.

you are absolutely right. well, some titles simply can't be helped... it seems donald byrd's tryin' to get home is another whose master seems wonky to my ears.

on another note, can anyone tell me of a single u.s. RVG title that isn't currently or wasn't available in japan first...?

???,

-e-

At least one of the sessions -- and I think both -- on Turrentine's New Time Shuffle was recorded by RVG. This is an interesting big band session led by Turrentine. It might work better as a Conn though. The material could then be paired with the first disc from the 2-LP Best of Turrentine. One session was largely the compositions of Jobim and one was originals and standards. As far as I can see, only one track has come out on CD, and that was the Blue Note Plays Jobim compilation.

I would think that I am the RVG poster boy. I had quite a few Blue Notes prior to the series but now I have nearly all the RVGs. I have upgraded every title possible and have bought discs that I knew I wouldn't like, simply because they were in the series. I got into jazz just a few years ago and so many good titles haven't been in print during that time. I know a lot of people here want to see unreleased Andrew Hill or Grachan Moncur III but it would seem this series would be focusing on more popular titles by more well known artists. It would be a shame for the series to end (God forbid something happen to Rudy or Blue Note go belly up (thanks Norah for making that a less likely)) and there be no remastering of BACK TO THE CHICKEN SHACK or THE GIGOLO or THE CONGREGATION. Anyway, a few I would like to see.

Hank Mobley REACH OUT, SLICE OF THE TOP, any of those early ones that are on the Mosaic

Lee Morgan GIGOLO, GIGOLO, GIGOLO (I thought the idea was to upgrade the sound on the essential Blue Note catalogue. If GIGOLO is selling well, it seems to fit the bill) Also CORNBREAD would be nice

Kenny Drew UNDERCURRENTS

Jimmy Smith BACK TO THE CHICKEN SHACK, MIDNIGHT SPECIAL, CRAZY BABY (see comment about GIGOLO)

Art Blakey THE BIG BEAT

Johnny Griffin THE CONGREGATION

Grant Green STREET Of DREAMS

Kenny Burrell - Isn't there anything out there worthy of RVG other than MIDNIGHT BLUE?

John Patton - Isn't there anything out there worthy of RVG?

How about Dizzy Reece (I know there's a Select,) Freddie Roach, Booker Erwin, Horace Parlan, Duke Pearson, Curtis Fuller? Instead of yet another Jackie McLean and Horace Silver.

Thank God (and Michael Cuscuna) we're finally getting TRUE BLUE and BASRA!!!

That's just one man's opinion!