Che banned?

My plan with politics is to make it opt-in only.  In other words, it is already hidden from non-members (guests).  I'd like to hide it from members as well.  Instead of having a special non-political subclass like we have now, everyone will be non-political until you ask to be allowed into the political forum.  If you want to opt-in, then you have to agree to keep politics there and there only and not bring it into other parts of the board.

I'm sorry to bring up the whole Politics forum issue in the first place.

I do think that's a great way to handle it. :tup

Edited by AfricaBrass

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like to go Don Quixote style after my own windmills, I see the wisdom in what you're saying.

Yo man, I'm not above the quixotic approach myself. It's just that it's good to have a solid Plan B ready for immediate deployal should things not go according plan, because more than often enough, they don't. ;)

Time to forget che and his ilk I think and for us all to get back to discussing jazz and keeping the Board the great place that it is. Let's put it in perspective - on the internet you are bound to get the occasional bout of 'destructive interference' of this type. Life's like that. Its time for all of us to rise above all of this and keep the Board the great place that it is for discussing all things jazz with a most convivial fraternity.

That's my two peneth' anyway.

My plan with politics is to make it opt-in only. In other words, it is already hidden from non-members (guests). I'd like to hide it from members as well. Instead of having a special non-political subclass like we have now, everyone will be non-political until you ask to be allowed into the political forum. If you want to opt-in, then you have to agree to keep politics there and there only and not bring it into other parts of the board.

I assume the political forum includes religion.

As much as I like to go Don Quixote style after my own windmills, I see the wisdom in what you're saying.

Yo man, I'm not above the quixotic approach myself. It's just that it's good to have a solid Plan B ready for immediate deployal should things not go according plan, because more than often enough, they don't. ;)

Good point!

Actually, the fun part is when it doesn't go according to plan and I enter into the unknown. :D

>> DEEP was just a crazy road dog who was at once too hip and too crude for the room. Aric, well, Aric is Aric.<<

Whatever redeeming qualities these guys had, they posted gay-baiting, racist things that were really awful. 

Awful, yes, but they also had a "jazz thing" (DEEP by experience, Aric by intuition) that was undeniable. And on a primarily jazz board, that's gotta count for something.

Their bad qualities went on one side of the scale, the good on the other, and determining the relative balance was then up to individual. Or, as it turned out, the moderators.

No real tears here about the decisions.

I will never understand the defense of DEEP. It wasn't only that he gay baited or whatever but he went after people in a really hateful way and he did it on just about every jazz board. It's more than a little disturbing that anyone would find this entertaining. The fact that he was walking jazz encyclopedia meant nothing to me. Nothing.

I will never understand the defense of DEEP...The fact that he was walking jazz encyclopedia meant nothing to me.  Nothing.

On the "nothing" part, we'll have to respectdully disagree.

How much it meant to me, however, was highly variable.

Edited by JSngry

Just noticed this:

Online Users

Member Name Location Time

che Logging in... Apr 2 2005, 10:52 PM

Yes, che was on the active users list just before I posted this, and what shall I make of the fact that the newest registered member (no posts yet) calls himself Fidel ..... :unsure:

I would welcome an additional forum rule that makes it explicit that any racist or otherwise discriminating shit results in an immediate ban. I would also welcome if such unhealthy crap be deleted pronto. It rubs off. I for one do not like to be associated with an internet forum that allows for racist crap to stay up for all to read, be it in a closed section or not. I doubt it does the band much good either.

I would welcome an additional forum rule that makes it explicit that any racist or otherwise discriminating shit results in an immediate ban. I would also welcome if such unhealthy crap be deleted pronto. It rubs off. I for one do not like to be associated with an internet forum that allows for racist crap to stay up for all to read, be it in a closed section or not. I doubt it does the band much good either.

Agreed on all levels. Other forums have strict rules like this, and I don't think it will inhibit the liveliness of this place in any way.

*Rubber-necker watching as accident is about to unfold mode ON*

In the JC "What are you listening to?" thread, Che posted:

"Nothing at the moment. Will post in the future what is on my list." :huh:

(note - I find that just lame - if you're not listening to anything WHY POST in a "what are you listening to thread??)

His banning has already been called for in this same thread already, as well.

My plan with politics is to make it opt-in only. In other words, it is already hidden from non-members (guests). I'd like to hide it from members as well. Instead of having a special non-political subclass like we have now, everyone will be non-political until you ask to be allowed into the political forum. If you want to opt-in, then you have to agree to keep politics there and there only and not bring it into other parts of the board.

Actually, I have a simple suggestion, if it can be enacted. I have no desire to look at the "Politics" section - I'm very comfortable with my viewpoint, thank you, and I think the "Politics" section helped to kill the BNBB (that, and the incessant anti-Norah Jones posts). But when I log on here, I go to "View New Posts," and the "Politics" posts are shown there along with all others. If the "Politics" posts can be screened out of that view, I'd be very happy.

Just noticed this:

Online Users

Member Name Location Time 

che  Logging in... Apr 2 2005, 10:52 PM

Yes, che was on the active users list just before I posted this, and what shall I make of the fact that the newest registered member (no posts yet) calls himself Fidel ..... :unsure:

:lol:

If you go far enough to the right, or to left, you end up meeting your "enemy".

A very poignant observation no matter what side you're on.

I agree with this.

Ok, Berigan. I see where you're coming from now.

(though I don't really totally agree with all of the statements made).

Will you at least try to? :huh:

Oh, yes! Of course!

I'm nearly always trying to get at subjects from the

"where did that idea come from?" angle.

Unfortunately, I'm constantly inundated with

statements that are - what we say here in Texas -

"flat out" statements...statements based on ideas that are

categories of thought rather than opinions/ideas that are

reasonably thought out.

...Or, if you wish, comments that are meant to have some weight,

but end up being a kind of "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" platitude that becomes

pretty all-encompassing without really saying anything of substance at all.

When I say that I don't agree totally with your statements,

I'm referring to the line that equates most of Che's views with most of our's here

and it simply isn't true. It's the all too typical activity of letting loose a convenient

platitude if an idea is to the left of Genghis Khan.

I couldn't really get a hold on Che's views about anything

(especially the anti-Semitic ones that I never read), because most of them appeared to be

highly ill-defined (which I don't believe that the majority of this board fits under -

no matter what our political, musical, etc views are).

What I mean is that I could never figure out where his light was shining from really:

was he out to just get a rise...this weird seesaw of a ride between being

"happy-happy joy-joy" one moment to getting weirdly defensive the next.

This "can't wait to bait" attitude mixed with a strange bi-polar weirdness

that made you wonder whether he really believed what he was saying.

So what you do is just listen and observe until you become his target

and try to, hopefully, deal with it as diplomatically as possible.

Edited by rostasi

Guest Chaney

*Rubber-necker watching as accident is about to unfold mode ON*

In the JC "What are you listening to?" thread, Che posted:

"Nothing at the moment. Will post in the future what is on my list."  :huh:

(note - I find that just lame - if you're not listening to anything WHY POST in a "what are you listening to thread??)

His banning has already been called for in this same thread already, as well.

As che has proven himself to be a serial ________________ (you choose the word), if Lois were wise, she would un-register him right now.

Harsh? Yes, but necessary.

Actually, I have a simple suggestion, if it can be enacted. I have no desire to look at the "Politics" section - I'm very comfortable with my viewpoint, thank you, and I think the "Politics" section helped to kill the BNBB (that, and the incessant anti-Norah Jones posts). But when I log on here, I go to "View New Posts," and the "Politics" posts are shown there along with all others. If the "Politics" posts can be screened out of that view, I'd be very happy.

Just ask Jim to make Politics invisible to you. Then you won't see the Political Forum, and any active Political threads will not be visible on the View New Posts link either.

Couldn't agree more.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm all for that. Nevertheless, I would be a bit nervous about defining the borderline cases; for comments on the margin, which way sentiment breaks could depend on who said it...

I am too unfamiliar with the 'Che' affair to form any opinion or my own judgement but it was good to see a little bit of diverse reactions emerging after the initial almost homogenous reactions to him leaving.

Beyond that, hope the following is not completely off topic,

JSngry  wrote:

Revel in the good, walk around the bad, try to change what you can, leave alone what you can't, and keep your head to the sky, as the song says.

That sounds great and very practical. ( BTW, which song? ). I will contemplate this some more. I would like to add this which I just recently heard "Show mercy, mercy being love with forgiveness". How does this fit in with what JSngry wrote. Compatible, add-on, antithetical?

Chandra

let time heal the wounds

some wounds are too deep. The reaction of this board and the moderators to che's blatant anti-semitism has been a pretty disgusting ride for me.

Like I said elsewhere, I was just waiting for him to get bounced from the board. He was looking for trouble and he found it.

The strange part is that he didn't get banned. He had to ask for it.

Couldn't agree more.

I have mixed feelings on this. Who decides what is racist or discriminating? (Well, obviously Jim and Use, but you know what I mean.) I understand the feelings, but I also fear the results...