Regrets?

I've been really appreciating Curtis Fuller recently, particularly his Messengers work. Which leads to my regret: why didn't I pick up the COmplete Blue Note sessions from Mosaic when I had the chance??? I distinctly remember debating it in my mind as it was going OOP--there were some other CDs that I wanted to spend the 50 bucks on--SO I built a rationale for why I shouldn't pick it up. I remember playing a sound sample from the Mosaic website as the OOP status neared, and asking my 3-year-old, "do you like this?". I don't remember what she said but she was less than enthusiastic (big surprise) and I said that's it, I'm not biting on this one. Dumb move, obviously.

Anyone else with regrets--letting one slip right through your hands? Or am I the only one?

I've ummed and ahed over a few that were in 'Last Chance' and usually decided to place an order just before the call. I can't think of a single case where I've regretted it. My only regret is not knowing more about Mosaic and their website before this Millenium so that I could have got all those nice OOP sets at original cost.

I kind of regret passing on the Kelly/Chambers, Morgan/Shorter VeeJays. I knew they were going OOP, but I just never pulled the trigger. Ultimately, I think I was put off by the discussion about alternate takes. I've never been a fan of alternates. There's a reason they're called that.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Yep of the recent OOP sets the Kelly/Chambers was the one I didnt go for , I bought the Morgan/Shorter when I play that I sometimes I regret not buying it but I think all the titles are still in print.

I didn't know of Mosaic when the Andrew Hill & Larry Young boxes went OOP but those are the 2 oldies I wish I had but I'm chipping away at them by keeping up with RVG & Conn reissues.

I've been really appreciating Curtis Fuller recently, particularly his Messengers work.  Which leads to my regret: why didn't I pick up the COmplete Blue Note sessions from Mosaic when I had the chance???  I distinctly remember debating it in my mind as it was going OOP--there were some other CDs that I wanted to spend the 50 bucks on--SO I built a rationale for why I shouldn't pick it up.  I remember playing a sound sample from the Mosaic website as the OOP status neared, and asking my 3-year-old, "do you like this?".  I don't remember what she said but she was less than enthusiastic (big surprise) and I said that's it, I'm not biting on this one.  Dumb move, obviously.

Anyone else with regrets--letting one slip right through your hands? Or am I the only one?

I can relate to that... I've lately gone to the other extreme... where if I have even the strongest hint that I'm going to want this... I'll cough up the $$ to get it... It's led me to some purchases I actually DO regret... (See my Dinah Washington rant... STAY AWAY from that one.. IMHO! :() It's really tough to be really selective... Fortunately through my crazy spendthrift ways.... there aren't ANY more sets I really want.. (Especially since I've already ordered my Jazz Crusaders set... )

There have been a few sets along the way that I really wanted, but couldn't get for financial reasons at the time. Otherwise, I became a CarpeDiemist a looooong time ago. Once anything becomes "rare", it's always easier to get rid of it than it is to find it.

I didn't have the money for the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis at the time.

My regrets are more for the ones I've purchased that aren't really my cup of tea. I tell myself that I should give them more time, and I will, but for the money I spent I would prefer more immediate gratification. I'm thinking of the Herbie Nichols and Charles Mingus Candid Mosaics and the Coltrane Village Vanguard set.

Edited by GA Russell

I regret not picking up the Andrew Hill and Larry Young Mosaics when they were in print, though I guess now that the material is slowly leaking back in print as individual CDs my choice may turn out to be a wise one. Give me individual releases over Mosaics any day.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

I regret I didn't buy the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra box - I was short on money at the time. I still hope the remainder will be on single CDs.

I have mixed feelings about the Andrew Hill - I had about half of it on LP, and really liked only half of that ...

Same with the Shorty Rogers.

The others I really wanted I bought in time or was lucky to get used for very reasonable prices (Larry Young, Freddie Redd, George Shearing Live).

Guy Berger Posted Yesterday, 04:38 PM

I regret not picking up the Andrew Hill and Larry Young Mosaics when they were in print, though I guess now that the material is slowly leaking back in print as individual CDs my choice may turn out to be a wise one. Give me individual releases over Mosaics any day.

I'd have to agree with Guy, here.

I passed on the Hill because I already had about half of it on CD and figured the rest of it would slowly come out as individual discs. I guess I called that one right.

Edited by Kalo

I think I may regret not springing for the Lee Morgan '50s box. No indication yet that any of it will be out anytime soon, and some of those records (like The Cooker) are just sick. I also regret missing the Thad and Mel box but I was a complete Mosaic newbie at that point, plus $80 was a lot of money to a then-18-year-old. At least that one is slowly trickling out...which reminds me, I had probably better pick up Central Park North one of these days.

I regret not picking up the Nat Cole box, if only because I could retire early had I purchased 20 or so of them. Is there a way to divert my 401(k) into Mosaics?

I've regretted missing the Shorty Rogers, the Lee Morgan (I STILL kind of regret that), the Jones/Lewis and the Andrew Hill. Though in the case of Hill, I have to admit I've been getting the individual BN reissues, so that's not such a big deal anymore.

Wow! Now I really regret not getting the VeeJay's. Both the Morgan/Shorter and the Chambers/Kelly are currently up for auction on E-Bay. The former is clocking in at at $102.38, but the latter is up to $202.50! My Lordy me. I wish I'd bought 2 or 3 of each set just for investment purposes.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I think I may regret not springing for the Lee Morgan '50s box.

I sold my set after gathering all the included albums either on cds or on Lps. The sonics of this Mosaic weren't something to rave about, imo. At least one cd was mastered off an old Lp, clicks and all. Incidentally, it was my 1st Mosaic set.

If you're regretting not owning one, I think there are a couple or more on eBay at any given time.

I think I may regret not springing for the Lee Morgan '50s box.

I sold my set after gathering all the included albums either on cds or on Lps. The sonics of this Mosaic weren't something to rave about, imo. At least one cd was mastered off an old Lp, clicks and all.

Don't remember hearing one was a dub. Do you remember which one? FWIW, I have the material otherwise - not the Mosaic.