Chico Hamilton

Jazz Kat

Coltrane, anybody?

"Indian music" was in the air in the early 60s, no?

Of course.

But I'm talking specifically about Chico's drum patterns combined with Gabor's guitar, which were a little closer to "rock" than what Coltrane was doing, and which certainly at times sound like a precursor to, among others, the Yardbirds.

I see a definite thread, but I've never read anything that addressed this specifically.

The following five albums were recorded between 1962 (maybe 1961) and September 1965, predating "Norwegian Wood," "Eight Miles High," "Paint it, Black" and "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago."

The only early "eastern" rock tunes that may have overlapped with only the last album listed below were "Still I'm Sad" and "See My Friends:"

1962 A Different Journey (Reprise)

1962 Passin' Thru (Impulse! Records)

1963 Man From Two Worlds (Impulse!)

1965 Chic Chic Chico (Impulse!)

1966 El Chico (Impulse!)

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Potts made an album with Chico for Solid State in the late 1960s

Potts? I thought his first recorded appearances were with Alan Silva and Francois Tusques in Paris c. 1970.

I would refer you to Hamilton's 1968 LP, Solid State SS 18043 - The Gamut, which features "Stephen Potts" on alto, along with Jan Arnett (of Booker Ervin "fame") on bass. Not in anyway reflective of Potts' work of years to come, but there he is!

Steve Potts is on another Chico Hamilton LP on Solid State, The Head Hunter, with Ray Nance (!) and Eric Gales on guitar (I think, it's Eric Gayle on the recording), a fine record indeed.

Trouble is, you are basing this all on records. Music happens elsewhere first.

Trouble is, there is lots of hyperbole but little hard evidence for what happens in concert or rehearsal settings, to say nothing of who was in the audience. Recording and release dates at least establish some basic chronological benchmarks.

That said, your argument serves to reinforce my point. Chico, like other jazz artists, was likely performing the music and arrangements heard on those albums months prior to the recording sessions. The rock and pop groups of this era, by contrast, were generally working things out in the studio just prior to the sessions. They were often playing Chuck Berry and Little Richard live while they were adapting the Tibetan Book of the Dead for lyrics in the studio.

So, if anything, Chico would have been a greater influence on the aforementioned groups than the other way around, at least in terms of the eastern influence.

I didn't get into Chico and his groups back when it was all happening, but in recent years have really enjoyed all his Impulse albums. There is tremendous variety, his own groups and ad hoc session lineups both being featured.

Chico is a subtle drummer, and I don't think I've ever heard him feature himself.

Arnie Lawrence on alto is fantastic, and way better than a lot of out-of-tune guys from the 60s. Richard Davis plays a monster solo on one album - I think it's "The Dealer".

I have a Columbia LP by Chico recorded in 61 or 62 under the name of DRUMFUSION; THE DYNAMIC NEW CHICO HAMILTON QUINTET.

The quintet consisted of Charles LLoyd, Gabor Szabo, Garnett Brown and Albert Stinson. Wonderful music.

If for nothing else , Lloyd's threnody for fellow Memphian Booker Little , A Rose For Booker , makes the album worth having .

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any thoughts on this release? It's released on Avid Records out of the UK. Legit? Worth exploring?

51-osdX-fxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Legit? Depends on your point of view (don't want to start the debate here yet again). Worth owning, at the price those things sell for? Absolutely. I own it, am quite pleased with it.

Would make an excellent Mosaic set, these Impulse Albums of Chico's!

IMO, better yet would be a Mosaic of the sides with Lloyd and Szabo, as the Columbia's have never made it to CD and the Impulse's were butchered.

IMO, better yet would be a Mosaic of the sides with Lloyd and Szabo, as the Columbia's have never made it to CD and the Impulse's were butchered.

This may be tough for Mosaic to pull together, as they would have to draw from at least four labels to gather it all:

Drumfusion (Columbia)

A Different Journey (Reprise)

Passin' Thru (Impulse)

Man From Two Worlds (Impulse)

Transfusion (Studio West)

I agree that these are all fine records, and would make an excellent set. The last one consists of short tracks recorded for the US Navy, and first issued in the 1990's. Perhaps not as essential as the others, but interesting. Lloyd is also on Chico's previous Columbia LP ("The Chico Hamilton Special"), but the format is closer to the old Hamilton group, with cello and no Szabo.

• 10 months later...

I have a Columbia LP by Chico recorded in 61 or 62 under the name of DRUMFUSION; THE DYNAMIC NEW CHICO HAMILTON QUINTET.

The quintet consisted of Charles LLoyd, Gabor Szabo, Garnett Brown and Albert Stinson. Wonderful music.

I'll second Cali's recommendation for this record--listening to it right now, as I'm working on a Night Lights show about Hamilton's early/mid-1960s period, covering many of the Impulses and this Columbia release. Didn't realize how much Charles Lloyd had written for this group.

Don't think anybody mentioned it, but Chico was hip enough to bring a young Eric Dolphy into his group:

70726f647563742f313031636464336130332e6a70670032353000.png

51oW%2BFB6xyL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Heard that band on a package tour before I knew who Dolphy was. He made quite an impact; on bass clarinet it sounded like he'd invented a new instrument, which was more or less the case.

There is of course "Of course, of course" with Lloyd and Szabo (but not Hamilton) on Columbia (1965) which is another winner, and some of the same vibe as the early Lloyd/Szabo/Hamilton albums. The whole Chico Hamilton musical journey from the early fifties through the mid-sixties is special, but unavailability of so much of the material for DECADES (particularly the Dolphy material and more recently the Impulses!)has made it hard to get the overview that he deserves. I don't know much if any of Hamilton's later work. Any recs?