Paul Bley

Daniel A

Truthfully, I "appreciate" the 1980s/1990s Giuffre trio albums rather than really like them a lot, mostly. Whereas the 1961-62 albums I could listen to over & over--they're simply endlessly fascinating music.

Chadbourne is one of the few competent, interesting reviewers at AMG so I find it odd that people would jump on him! I hope one of these days someone gets a book out of the man--anyone who's read some of his longer liner-notes essays (e.g. the brilliant piece in The Hills Have Jazz) will know what I mean. Not sure I like his music a lot, but he can really write & he must have a hell of a record collection.

A fun guy to hang with too. I was staying at a friends studio in Hollywood and a few hours before I left Chadbourne showed up for his stay. Great sense of humor, although I wish he didn't hog the bathroom by taking a long bath. :g

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truthfully, I "appreciate" the 1980s/1990s Giuffre trio albums rather than really like them a lot, mostly. Whereas the 1961-62 albums I could listen to over & over--they're simply endlessly fascinating music.

"Free Form" has always had me floored--some of my favorite solo improvisations (with fine contributions by Bley and Swallow, when they're present). I'd say that the 80s/90s cuts don't have quite the same "bite" that the others do--not so urgent, revolutionary. However, the improvisations are just as intricate, and the inclusion of more ostensibly "inside" foundational material goes a long way toward contextualizing the trio dynamic. I may not pull it out a lot, but "Fly Away Little Bird" is just beautiful.

A fun guy to hang with too. I was staying at a friends studio in Hollywood and a few hours before I left Chadbourne showed up for his stay. Great sense of humor, although I wish he didn't hog the bathroom by taking a long bath. :g

Eugene's great. I like his playing and writing and sense of humor.

That bathroom incident could've been worse. When I used to manage a band,

he was the opening "band" one night. He was going to stay at my place,

but when I found out that it was to include his wife and children,

we made other arrangements. At the concert that night, he was using our speakers

and promptly blew them out - big delay until new speakers could be found... :rolleyes:

Edited by rostasi

Eugene's great. I like his playing and writing and sense of humor.

That bathroom incident could've been worse. When I used to manage a band,

he was the opening "band" one night. He was going to stay at my place,

but when I found out that it was to include his wife and children,

we made other arrangements. At the concert that night, he was using our speakers

and promptly blew them out - big delay until new speakers could be found... :rolleyes:

I went for a walk and when I came back I REALLY had to use the bathroom. I was polite and didn't knock or anything, he didn't know I was waiting. No fault of of his, an early example of my chronic spastic colon (great name for a band of middle aged folks). :g

Thanks for all the input! I have a lot to check out here for sure. Re: the Jarrett analogy - as I'm a moderate rather than a great Jarrett fan, I'll probably start out with the earliest Bley stuff and work my way chronologically a bit at a time. When I'm through, maybe I'll get on with the collected works of Jarrett as well!

Chadbourne is one of the few competent, interesting reviewers at AMG so I find it odd that people would jump on him!

As I haven't heard the recording in question, I couldn't really tell how spot-on the review is (actually I found it rather fun). But with that talk of Bley's pipes and "Bass? You Goofed!", it struck me as more than a bit weird. But I'd prefer him over Yanow any day.

Well it's not an original BYG production, but the recording quality was never all that good, to judge by the Denon/Savoy reissue I have of it. Doesn't matter: the music really is superb.

I think many, if not all, of the Byg reissues (of US titles) were dubbed from vinyl. I know the Delmarks they reissued were on the market before Delmark could send them the tapes. :cool:

Frank Kimbrough is producing this duet with Bley in the coming year:

May 22 – Paul Bley/Frank Kimbrough Duo – Merkin Hall, NYC

I hope Palmetto records it.

Me too - I'd love to hear this. Kimbrough is one of may favorite players right now, and I dig what little Bley I've heard. obviously, I need to hear more of the latter.

I love Paul Bley’s playing. In fact, the opposite of what was said somewhere on this thread is true for most people I know who like Bley. The idea of what he does is fine – melodically based freeish playing that has some compositional elements sometimes. His career is very highly documented – and one would go pretty muich insane to try hear it all if so inclined. Sometimes it almost seems like he needs or wants to document everything.

What I think is:

The actual immersion in his music is much more rewarding thatn the idea of what he does. He is one of the great pianists in jazz – has been for a long time.

His later recordings are much more rewarding than the earlier formative stuff (pre-1970) as his playing has become completely personal and his own – with no other pianist in music that he sounds even remotely like. I think only Cecil Taylor is as much an iconoclast as Bley. Also modern recording techniques give his playing even greater depth – we get to hear everything (hear the ECM Not Two Not One with Peacock and Motian – is there is a better and more sympathetic piano trio for the last 30 years – not to these ears

And there are many excellent examples of Bley with Haden and Motian as well – the Montreal Tapes (from 1989) is a stunner as the wonderful Etudes on Soul Note from a year or so later.

Bley went from an interesting outward leaning pianist in the 60’s to one of the great voices in music over the last 20-30 years.

Well it's not an original BYG production, but the recording quality was never all that good, to judge by the Denon/Savoy reissue I have of it. Doesn't matter: the music really is superb.

I think many, if not all, of the Byg reissues (of US titles) were dubbed from vinyl. I know the Delmarks they reissued were on the market before Delmark could send them the tapes. :cool:

I meant Ramblin', not Footloose (for the 'record').

Guest akanalog

i probably already said this in this thread, but i will say it again-bley got the WORST tones out of his electric synths of anyone i have heard. his ARPs and moogs sound so damn wheezy and thin. and it is even worse when he plays with rhythmically dull players like dick youngstein and steve haas. makes me feel like i am dying.

I don't have any Paul Bley albums. In fact, I'm not even sure I know what Paul Bley's playing sounds like.

1. Should I be ashamed?

Considering the replies, and I support most of the above suggestions, you should! :D

P.S. I also love a lesser known but excellent record Paul Bley Trio, on Radio Canada International label, recorded in Montral 1968, with Mario Pavone on bass and Barry Altschul on drums

Edited by porcy62

• 1 year later...

just to add a little Paul Bley news; he called me about a month ago to see he's just had hip-replacement surgery and is feeling great -

I hope Paul gets all due credit re- his important place in jazz history; he's also a nice and fascinating (and opinionated - in the good way) guy -

Edited by AllenLowe

so he called YOU to SEE if HE's just had... I don't get it :g

My Bley collection is still pretty thin, but I've liked most of what I heard. His Homage to Carla (OWL CD reissue a few years ago over here, likely/hopefully on Sunnyside in the US?) solo album is marvellous!