2006 annual wish-list for Conns (or maybe Waters?)

Rooster_Ties

How about Joe Pass "For Django"? I have the TOCJ and love it. Has it ever had a domestic BN release? I know it's originally a Pacific release, but there's precedence for that, at least in the RVG series. And I no longer understand what makes something a Conn versus an RVG any more, either.

If not that one, maybe the "Sounds of Synanon"...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

demons dance is currently out as a cheaper japanese reissue.

not one of the mini LP kinda ones but just in a regular blue note case but japanese.

or it was a month or so ago.

i used to dislike that date but it has grown on me.

hall_hamilton_trio.jpg

That one gets a :tup:tup:tup from me.

The recent LoneHill CD has only the Jim Hall tracks from this, which were done only later when Dick Bock re-packaged for 12" LP - he omitted two of the Howard Roberts tracks from the original 10" LP. So this would be a nice opportunity for completion. I have a Japanese LP reissue with that very cover, the music is excellent.

Isn't there some later Chico Hamilton that also was not included in the Mosaic box?

I guess Mighty Quinn might be more likely to reissue this.

I'd like a new CD issue of the Jim Hall trio with unedited tracks (dubbed from LP - there are plenty around in good condition).

The latin and orchestra dates of Clare Fischer on Pacific Jazz merit a reissue, IMHO.

I second the wishes for the Tyrone Washington and the "Silver and ..." series (although I have but one of the latter), and that Urbie Green would be very nice!

I'd rather see reissues of material that is not yet or never was on CD than single CDS of stuff was or is available in box sets ....

Demon's Dance would be great for me

Kenny Cox 2cds :tup

Silver 'N ..... :tup

Tyrone Washington :tup

Louis Smith 2cds :tup

i'm not familiar with this but how about something from the Quebec/Hardee Mosaic set?

on my BN's wish list i have Trompeta Toccata, Here To Stay, Profile, Tender Feelin's

how about some Kenny Drew? Freddie Roach maybe? 3 sounds?

Marcus

Edited by marcoliv

I'm gonna do this mostly off the top of my head 'cause I think first thing that comes to mind is kinda what you're asking for:

1) Grant Green - Visions (his biggest seller back in the day) as a 2fer with the unissued 5/29/70 date. Lots of pop/R&B covers on both but v. dif. instrumentation/personnel. Live at the Club Mozambique would be nice too, as would a deluxe Carryin' On with the two Jimmy Web outtakes.

2) Stanley T- Always Something There and Look of Love would dbl up nicely and sometimes grilled cheese really hits the spot. But even better would be 2CDs bringing together the 5 mid-sized band dates from '67-68 that appeared in part on Ain't no Mt High Enuff and the dark dbl LP set back in the day - some pop, some Jobim, lots of Duke P arrangements.

3) Ruben Wilson - On Broadway is a groove, hearing someof his unissued stuff would be too...

4) Jimmy McGriff - Something to Listen To & Black Pearl are both interesting

5) Lou Donaldson - I think the man deserves a box set, they could call it From Monk to Funk, some unissued stuff here too.

6) Jimmy Smith - Plays Fats Waller should be dbl'd with Plays Pretty 'cause the latter has a nice "Jitterbug Waltz".

7) Freddie Roach - Mo' Greens, please!

Just so y'all don't think I'm a total greasehead, I agree with the A Hill & SAm Rivers choices!

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Guest akanalog

well if people want to hear the reuben wilsons how about some of the other ronnie fosters? i like cheshire cat, for instance.

but i would also give a thumbs up to mr. steig. might as well do the other ones plus wayfaring stranger. i have at least one more with jan hammer rather than guitar but it is great also.

Any other totally unreleased dates worth asking about??

I know there's a Jackie McLean lead date with Tyrone on it, but Jackie won't let it out (I think cuz of the drummer, who really didn't click - if I remember). I've got the complete BN discography, and I'll look up the details later tonight - unless somebody beats me to it.

Anything else?? Now that all the Hill material is out (which I STILL can't believe sometimes :o ), there's really not a whole lot else left in the vaults.

Which is another reason I think we have a real shot at getting some of that "trainwreck" out.

I want the complete Seeco recordings. The Leon Merian recordings are missed. :P

I don't know nuthin' about all that, but there's a valuable bunch of early Celia Cruz to be found on the Seeco label. Should/could make for a very worthy "Complete"-type set for somebody (Universal?) to put out. The lady was a true great and deserves to be treated likewise. But the songs aren't in English...

If jazz is marginalized in America, where does that put Afro-Cuban music, or Spanish-language music in general? Admittedly, Afro-Cuban music is not "home-grown" like jazz is, but it's nevertheless a significant part of the American (and global) cultural fiber. Hell, I speak marginal-at-best Spanish, and the stuff moves me greatly.

"Now Hear This!" by Duke Pearson.

I don't believe the above title has ever been issued on cd.

Actually , 6 of the 9 tracks from Now Hear This appeared as bonus tracks on Introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band which came out on CD in 1998 .

And the 3 that didn't make it are not to be mourned too greatly, unless you're a completist.

Wish list, off the top of my head: A Date with Jimmy Smith (both volumes on a single disc), Jimmy Smith at the Organ (ditto), and Jimmy Smith & L.D.

And add my voice to the High Frequency and Natural Essence chorus.

I know I'll be back with more once I've spent a little time with my thinking hat on.