Happy Birthday, Jazzbo!

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks gentlemen. Hasn't started off well, having to pick my Dad up off the bedroom floor. Luckily he's like a stuntman and he never is hurt in all his falls, but his luck can't hold out forever. I hate coming in first thing in the morning and finding him on the floor.I can keep him from falling all day long, but not at night when I'm spending the only time I spend at my place, asleep. My Mom doesn't seem able to call me or consider it something to do. I sure don't want to spend every night here at their house on top of every day, all day.

I've been really stressed out and beside myself quietly inside, but luckily I'm getting a brief respite; my sister and one of my nephews are coming up from Virginia to stay with them ten days or so and Tuesday morning I'm getting on my Fat Bob and heading to Texas to see my gal and my friends and just not be in these four walls for a change. That I am really looking forward to!

Edited by jazzbo

Yes, Happy Birthday Lon and I hope everything is going as well as possible taking care of your parents. (BTW, you share a birthday with Pops?)

Yes, and with that Obama dude. And I'm exactly the same age as Billy Bob Thornton, though that's nothing to celebrate.

Very cool......celebrating with Louis every year.

In your situation you probably get way too much advice but if I could add to it. Though you and your folks have probably considered this already, my mom now wears a medical alert pendant all the time. At first she was resistant, but now she refers to it as her "buddy". Unfortunately she's needed to use it 3 times. But it works great. After mom presses the button the company calls the BV fire station ( and me at the same time). The paramedics let themselves in (the fire department installs a key box between front door and storm door free of charge). They help her up and check her over to see if a trip to the emergency room is necessary. Just a bit more peace of mind.

In your situation you probably get way too much advice but if I could add to it. Though you and your folks have probably considered this already, my mom now wears a medical alert pendant all the time. At first she was resistant, but now she refers to it as her "buddy". Unfortunately she's needed to use it 3 times. But it works great. After mom presses the button the company calls the BV fire station ( and me at the same time). The paramedics let themselves in (the fire department installs a key box between front door and storm door free of charge). They help her up and check her over to see if a trip to the emergency room is necessary. Just a bit more peace of mind.

Yes Ted, we have one of those. My Mom puts her "necklace" on every day. But. . . she doesn't seem to want or be able to press it. Both of my parents are suffering through dementia. It's really hard for me, but seems to bring them a lot of enjoyment. . . they seem to be able to come up with the most off the wall stuff and live in a daydream.

Yes Ted, we have one of those. My Mom puts her "necklace" on every day. But. . . she doesn't seem to want or be able to press it. Both of my parents are suffering through dementia. It's really hard for me, but seems to bring them a lot of enjoyment. . . they seem to be able to come up with the most off the wall stuff and live in a daydream.

Oh my.....dementia. That complicates everything. I'm glad that you can take some vacation time away this week. With everything you're doing you need some time for yourself.

Thanks everyone! My two young nieces decorated a cake for me and were over here to sing for me. My sister arrived from Richmond, VA and both of my brothers have been here today, it's been a great family day. Hopefully I can head over to my place this evening and spin some cds and enjoy some TV ALL BY MYSELF--that will be a great gift.

Appreciate all the wishes and I'm looking forward to my road trip--I love to ride cross country, and I'm looking forward to seeing my pals and gals.

Try to get some "time off" from your parent issues and celebrate your b-day, if possible, Lon.

:w

FYI, this is a great organization for information and assistance. They were very helpful when my mother's health was deteriorating. They're based in SF, but have a national database of local organizations.

Family Caregiver Alliance

Edited by BFrank

Well, I didn't get away by myself, and it took a huge effort to get Dad to bed last night, he practically couldn't move at all. But finally we did get him into bed. We have a doctor's appointment today that hopefully or maybe not hopefully will be telling. I may have to cancel my trip, we'll see.

I'm so grateful for the birthday wishes and all the support.