Monk Riverside set CHEAP on amazon

David Ayers

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you noticed the picture of the cover states 'Volume 1'

I guess that is what you are going to get.

They did the same thing with one of the listings for Bill Evans' Complete Riverside Recordings. Rather than shooting the art work for the outer box or sleeve, they shot the cover art for the first of the three 4-CD jewel cases. It's still the 12-CD set even though they only show the art work for one of the cases in the set. I'd rely more on the product description and the song-sample listing than I would the picture.

Edited by mikelz777

Its a nice set if only to see him working on a piece take by take especially for the price and more so if it is the LP size box

Good luck!

The rehearsal take of "Round Midnight" is the best introduction to Monk's music and jazz in general, I mean you can hear him "thinking" through the music! One of the most illuminating experience in my journey in Music Land.

Another one that recently came out on Explore Records is called Monk the Transformer (I believe on emusic as well as CD). There are 6 solo variants of I'm Getting Sentimental Over You, and then 3 concert performances. Really quite interesting.

Interesting. I thought this must have been some kind of mistake, and that the offer would disappear...Probably too late to order now.

I recall the early days of e-commerce, when there were huge numbers of fly-by-night Internet CD vendors. Pricing mistakes were fairly common, with multiple-CD sets being offered at single-CD prices. I made one memorable haul, buying a premium 8-CD imported classical box for around $15. I didn't feel any guilt, as the dopey vendors were hoping to go public and rip off potential equity investors. Over time, the surviving vendors tended to cancel such erroneous "sales," though.

Interesting. I thought this must have been some kind of mistake, and that the offer would disappear...Probably too late to order now.

That's what I thought too on Saturday, but I went ahead and ordered anyway. Think about it, if you want the set, you really don't have anything to lose by ordering it - at worst, Amazon will cancel the order. But if it turns out to be a real deal and you didn't order it, you'll be kicking yourself later for not doing so.

I passed on this set and the Art Pepper Galaxy box during the big Zweitausendeins sale because I thought I'd already spent too much on the two orders I placed. Many times since then I've wished I had just gone ahead and spent the extra cash to get those two sets at what was then a ridiculously affordable price.

Edited by Dave Garrett

I know I'm all pinko for saying this, but I hope most of the sales aren't to people who will resell it at a higher "OOP" price... that just bugs me.

I totally agree. I said the same thing during the big Concord sale when it came around to the Coltrane and Evans box sets. Not everyone agreed with me but I guess it's hard for many to think of anyone but themselves when making money is involved.

Edited by mikelz777

My order came out to be £8.93 (even cheaper) + £3.08 shipping = £12.01 total from the UK to San Francisco for the Monk box. This is weird. :blink: Almost a "too good to be true but possible" scenario like the Sly box set / Best Buy fiasco except this is even loonier.

That is because Amazon UK prices include 15% VAT and this is deducted for orders outside the EU.

I don't know how long the deal has been out there but it was reported here on the 5th. At that time, the availability indicated that it was usually dispatched in 1 to 2 weeks. (Under that time line, the earliest we'd expect to hear about it is the 12th through the 19th.) Since then, the dispatch time was changed to 6 to 11 days and then, to 4 to 6 weeks where it remains at present. The price has remained the same since the 5th. I'm guessing it's going to be some time before anyone hears anything. I'm still hopeful in that there have been no reports yet of cancelled orders or of unavailability of the product. I guess we just have to sit tight and hope for the best.

Edited by mikelz777

I ordered on the 5th, and since then when I look at the order on the amazon.co. uk site, it has said the same thing:

Items not yet dispatched:

Delivery estimate: 17 Oct 2007 - 26 Oct 2007

So on the fifth, they estimated a two- to three-week waiting period. They've never changed it with regard to my order, although apparently it's changed for new orders more than once in the last week.