Rachael Ray Donut Ad Pulled!

Look, I don't tell New Yorkers about pizza, and I don't tell Chicagoans about hot dogs. Those truths are self-evident.

But I'll tell anybody about Dunkin' Donuts, and it won't be good. That truth too is self-evident!

yeah, but you praised Krispy Kreme. I'll pass on that crap even if I'm having a suger jones! :blink:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago, all doughnuts were made on the premises at Dunkin' Donuts, and they were go-o-od! Somewhere along the way, as the compnay expanded and had a shop every few blocks, they changed that policy, and nowadays the doughnuts are made at some central facility and delivered to the individual stores. At that point the quality went down.

In regards to the Dunkin' vs. Krispy Kreme controversy, a few years ago Krispy Kreme decided to expand into the northeast, and the very first store was on a main drag about two miles from my house. I watched daily as the construction neared completion, since I passed it twice a day, and when the shop finally opened, you wouldn't believe the mob scene! Cars were lined up literally around the block, because they were giving away free doughnuts! My curiosity was piqued along with everyone else's, but I waited a couple of weeks until the lines had subsided, and finally I got in the drive-thru and picked up a dozen doughnuts and brought them to work. For years I had heard from southerners about how great Krispy Kreme's doughnuts were, and now I finally had a chance to try them for myself. They are selling a different product than Dunkin'. Dunkin' offers what we call a cake doughnut, heavier and more solid the the raised doughnuts offered by Krispy Kreme. Although Dunkin's cake doughnuts are second rate, there are a few mom & pop shops around that do offer a high quality, freshly made cake doughnut, and even though I rarely eat doughnuts these days, I occasionally do enjoy a warm plain doughnut, which is crispy around the edges.

After expanding for about 3 years, Kripsy Kreme threw in the towel in the northeast, and closed all of their shops. They will not be missed.

I agree with Chuck - the coffee is excellent and the croissant/egg/sausage/cheese sandwiches are pretty tasty and filling.

I very rarely buy donuts but have never been known to turn down one of theirs if a box showed up at the office. I've never known of a single "Mom and Pop" donut shop anywhere near any of the places I've lived and I have serious questions about the taste buds of anyone who praises Krispy Kreme.

You folks who don't like Krispy Kreme probably don't like menudo or collard greens with ham hocks either.

Never mind pigs feet & chitlins...

"Coffee & donuts", geez, what a cliche. That's breakfast, what's for lunch, ham on rye? With steak and potatos for supper? Pre-dict-a-BULL.

Try some brain & egg tacos sometimes, and then see how "delicious" those tired ass "coffee & doughnuts" are.

Or better yet, eat one of Bunky's apple fritters and enjoy the sugar buzz for the rest of the day. Without coffee!

You folks who don't like Krispy Kreme probably don't like menudo or collard greens with ham hocks either.

"Coffee & donuts", geez, what a cliche. That's breakfast, what's for lunch, ham on rye? With steak and potatos for supper? Pre-dict-a-BULL.

Try some brain & egg tacos sometimes, and then see how "delicious" those tired ass "coffee & doughnuts" are.

Or better yet, eat one of Bunky's apple fritters and enjoy the sugar buzz for the rest of the day. Without coffee!

That's OK - y'all can't get good Italian sausage sandwiches or pizza out your way. It's a regional thing. :D

Interesting thing about the DFW area, Plano in particular, is that we have a lot of Southeastern Asian & Indian immigrants, and a variety of restaurants to match. The food, like the people, is, to Old Americans such as myself, new, different, and challenges old perspectives & "comforts". So all that 20th Century immigrant food like good Italian sausage sandwiches just ain't missed right here right now!

I wish I had good North Indian food in my neighborhood. There's a massive Indian community about 10 miles from here, maybe the largest in the NYC area. But nothing around the corner.

I've been hankerin' for some lamb vindaloo for a few days.

Interesting thing about the DFW area, Plano in particular, is that we have a lot of Southeastern Asian & Indian immigrants, and a variety of restaurants to match. The food, like the people, is, to Old Americans such as myself, new, different, and challenges old perspectives & "comforts". So all that 20th Century immigrant food like good Italian sausage sandwiches just ain't missed right here right now!

Definitely down with that. We have good Indian, Thai, and Middle Eastern available here. Now we come full circle. One of the best Middle Eastern restaurants here is Palastinian owned. No ads featuring Rachael Ray have been produced as of yet.

brain & egg tacos

What's the brain part about? :unsure:

Edited by Joe G

Ok, clem.

;)

Years ago, all doughnuts were made on the premises at Dunkin' Donuts, and they were go-o-od! Somewhere along the way, as the compnay expanded and had a shop every few blocks, they changed that policy, and nowadays the doughnuts are made at some central facility and delivered to the individual stores. At that point the quality went down.

I remember that. As I recall, the changeover came sometime in the early (or early-to-mid) 70's. Up 'til then Dunkin' Donuts made a decent cake-style doughnut. All of a sudden their doughnuts were greasy and tasteless. I actually thought I got a bad batch. But no, that's just how their doughnuts were from then on, and it was right around the time they started expanding like crazy and putting out adds about how great they were. What amazed me is that no one seemed to care that the donuts had gone from good to terrible. It certainly taught me something about chains and quality.

I remember that. As I recall, the changeover came sometime in the early (or early-to-mid) 70's. Up 'til then Dunkin' Donuts made a decent cake-style doughnut. All of a sudden their doughnuts were greasy and tasteless. I actually thought I got a bad batch. But no, that's just how their doughnuts were from then on, and it was right around the time they started expanding like crazy and putting out adds about how great they were. What amazed me is that no one seemed to care that the donuts had gone from good to terrible. It certainly taught me something about chains and quality.

Wow. Apparently I've been enjoying crap donuts all my life, since I have no recollection of Dunkin Donuts before I was 8 years old or so. :wacko:

Was it truth in advertising laws that led to the end of the "have to make the donuts" campaign?

Here in Indiana the best donuts hands down are from Long's Bakery on 16th street in Speedway. No preservatives and gone in less than an hour. They even have a sign that reads something like 'if you push and shove in line and are rude and abusive to our staff we will throw you out' ^_^

We've got a bunch of doughnut snobs up in this place. Who would have thought? ;)

Seriously, Dunkin works fine in a pinch. Much better than Krispy Kreme, hot or cold, that shit is way too sweet.

The best doughnuts of course, are made in little mom and pop shops throughout the country.

Edited by catesta