Has Mosaic ever put out something you suggested?

I've only ever sent Mosaic a few suggestions in my time, and they always respond and are always extremely polite (much more polite than I have any right to expect from such busy people). However, the response is always that the suggested set wouldn't be feasible (insufficient demand or whathaveyou).

The other day I sent them a suggestion for a Select Set I'd really like to see: a Patton-Green-Dixon set. Specifically, the following Blue Note albums are hard to get on cd (and were all recorded in roughly a 6 month span):

Lou Donaldson "Good Gracious" (January 24, 1963)

Grant Green "Blues for Lou" (February 20, 1963)

Harold Vick "Steppin' Out" (May 27, 1963)

John Patton "Blue John" (July 11, 1963)

Don Wilkerson "Shoutin'" (July 29, 1963)

(and I believe there was also a Fred Jackson session in June 21, 1962 that produced a few tracks that might be interesting)

I haven't heard back yet, but I wonder if I'm just wasting my time making suggestions. So I thought I'd ask if anyone around here has ever had an experience where they suggested something, Mosaic said "good idea," and then the suggested set was released. If no one has ever had such an experience, maybe I should stop sending Mosaic suggestions (by the way, I'm not complaining that Mosaic doesn't listen to me; they obviously know what they're doing).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on it is this...

I have made 6-10 emails/comments making suggestions.. You're right they do give polite responses... sometimes with more feedback than others.. So in general I don't think they really take them into their planning and decision-making process... with ONE exception...

I get the sense that the Braxton Arista stuff was always planned by Cuscuna but with constant discussion on this board (and others) they felt there was enough of a market for it... They even say so in the brochure... " "For years customers have been requesting it. Internet discussion groups have filled with rumors about it...."

Why that one and no others?? I have no idea..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I betcha some of the insiders will have more input on this than I....!

Edited by tranemonk

Has Mosaic ever put out something you suggested?

Several times, actually (Jones-Lewis & Braxton immediately spring to mind), but they were suggestions that I made back in the 1980s & early 1990s, so they were probably going to do it/get to it anyway.

About the Braxton - I first raised the issue w/Cuscuna in, I think, 1990. His respoonsewas interesting. He said something to the effect that he knew in his heart that it was going to have to be done eventually but that right now he was still trying to get some emotional distance from it. From the sound of things, afdter the first year or so, getting thoise albums made and released was not without some degree of....adventure.

They might feel that all the hard-core fans that would buy such a Select already have the material. For instance, I have all that material (or had as I finally sold the Wilkerson). Hmm. For some reason I thought Steppin' Out was out as RVG but perhaps not. My copy turns out to be TOCJ.

I believe I suggested a Bernard Pfeiffer Select (it might have been some other semi-obscure artist in the Jazz in Paris series), and they said it was an interesting idea. That's the last I heard. I still think Pfeiffer would go along well with their general Select line (I do detect a bit of a bias towards piano-led combos) but equally I'd like to see something that pulled together Barney Wilen's CDs, some of which are almost impossible to find in the States.

They might feel that all the hard-core fans that would buy such a Select already have the material. For instance, I have all that material (or had as I finally sold the Wilkerson). Hmm. For some reason I thought Steppin' Out was out as RVG but perhaps not. My copy turns out to be TOCJ.

I believe I suggested a Bernard Pfeiffer Select (it might have been some other semi-obscure artist in the Jazz in Paris series), and they said it was an interesting idea. That's the last I heard. I still think Pfeiffer would go along well with their general Select line (I do detect a bit of a bias towards piano-led combos) but equally I'd like to see something that pulled together Barney Wilen's CDs, some of which are almost impossible to find in the States.

the wilen select would be a great idea, dozens (?) of hard to find albums by him...

also have some doubt concerning the green/patton/dixon, maybe except for steppin out, these are still relatively easy to find, ... (started searching last year and i found blue john and blues for lou at around 10 $; good gracious and japanese copies at least of the wilkerson are relatively easy to find and not overly expansive as well... the unreleased second from the blue john sessions would be something, of course...)

Edited by Niko

My favorite exchange with Mosaic regarding suggesting sets. . . .: I emailed Michael Cuscuna about a Babs Gonzales set, collecting all the work as a leader. I thought this would have one of the most fascinating booklets ever.

A few days later I got the most appropriate response ever: "Lon, you are out of your mind!"

Edited by jazzbo

also have some doubt concerning the green/patton/dixon, maybe except for steppin out, these are still relatively easy to find, ... (started searching last year and i found blue john and blues for lou at around 10 $; good gracious and japanese copies at least of the wilkerson are relatively easy to find and not overly expansive as well... the unreleased second from the blue john sessions would be something, of course...)

The Wilkerson and the Donaldson are "relatively" easy to find, but I wouldn't say that about the others. Searching Amazon and CdUniverse I found that the cheapest new cd issue of the Vick was $45, the cheapest new cd issue of the Patton was $43, and the Green was only available as a CD-R (no expensive imports available). I think most of the Selects will have some material that's relatively easy to find. The Patton select including "Along Came John" is a good example.

I believe I suggested a Bernard Pfeiffer Select (it might have been some other semi-obscure artist in the Jazz in Paris series), and they said it was an interesting idea.

Brownie would politely point out that it's Peiffer and not Pfeiffer. ;)

I like Peiffer's piano playing, but I couldn't really imagine a Select of his work. But if there were one, I'd rally for a János Körössy Select — then couw would rejoin the board! I'd love to see Selects or regular Mosaics that explored non-American labels — Amiga, Supraphon, RTB, etc., but I don't see that happening. But that's OK; I'm just happy that Mosaic is still a viable company!

I suggested the Fuller/Moody/Gillespie as a Connoisseur and the complete Pacific Jazz Gil Evans as a Connoisseur a few years ago, and they did come out, but I never really thought it was because of my suggestions. I also suggested the complete EMI (umbrella) recordings of Herb Pomeroy, but that's probably pushing it. I love when the Connoisseurs go off the Blue Note grid.

The Wilkerson and the Donaldson are "relatively" easy to find, but I wouldn't say that about the others. Searching Amazon and CdUniverse I found that the cheapest new cd issue of the Vick was $45, the cheapest new cd issue of the Patton was $43, and the Green was only available as a CD-R (no expensive imports available). I think most of the Selects will have some material that's relatively easy to find. The Patton select including "Along Came John" is a good example.

... had a brief look... admittedly the situation with the patton and green is worse than what i remembered... (btw the curious inclusion of along came john in the patton select imho proves that cuscuna i not particularly excited about blue john, steppin out...)(which is a shame of course :) )

They sent me a catalogue back in '86. I have no idea how they got my name. I called to place an order and spoke with Lourie. I asked him, and he said, "The jazz police." (!)

Anyway, I was so excited when I received my first order, the Monk Blue Note and the Mulligan/Baker boxes, that I dashed off a letter and suggested The Four Freshmen, Gerald Wilson, and Richard Twardzik.

It was many years later that they finally issued them, and I'm sure that my letter had no influence whatsoever.

My suggestion of the moment: The Complete Atlantic Recordings of the Modern Jazz Quartet.

Why?

Because I like the MJQ, feel they are underappreciated, and these are (in my opinion) their finest recordings, sparingly available. It would be nice to have them all in one place, properly annotated, etc.

... had a brief look... admittedly the situation with the patton and green is worse than what i remembered... (btw the curious inclusion of along came john in the patton select imho proves that cuscuna i not particularly excited about blue john, steppin out...)(which is a shame of course :) )

You have a point there about Blue John. It's a bit odd that it wasn't included in the Patton Select, and there wasn't really any explanation in the notes about why it was skipped over. I suppose MC might not hold it in high regard. However, in the notes to that set he calls the Green-Patton-Dixon section a "near perfect entity," so maybe there's still hope . . .

I was always a fan of the smaller Mosaic sets. Stuff like the Jimmy Smith, Curtis Fuller, Chet Baker and other 3 or 4 disc sets. Something you could put on and get through in an afternoon/evening of listening. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, - in the days of the old BNBB - it seemed, though that Mosaic could not compete with similarly sized sets put out by other record companies. The Mosaic treatment was/is pretty formulaic - big over sized box, huge booklet and $16 per disc (at the time). Similar small boxes were sellng at the time for a lot less. At the time, Mosaic seemed to be abandoning the smaller sets that I enjoyed so much and just issuing the giant 5,6,7 CD sets as there was a lot less competition in that arena.

So I wrote them - repeatedly. I remember numerous email exchanges about doing smaller sets - with the same integrity of Mosaic, but in a format that could compete with the smaller commercially available stuff that was out there. We emailed at length about Pacific Jazz, Roost and Roulette material that could be put out. I know others on the old BNBB that sent similar emails to Mosaic, so I'm in no way suggesting that I contributed anything other than adding my voice to their's but the dialogue that ensued ofer a 12-18 month period culminated with the advent of the Mosaic Select series. I was so happy that Mosaic listened to our requests and thought outside of their box and started releasing smaller sets again. One set that I specifically remember requesting was the Dexter Gordon Nights at the Keystone - which was OOP from Blue Note and a great way to get Dex in the Mosaic fold. Was very happy to see it come out.

I lobbied strongly for both the Andrew Hill BN Select, and also what ultimately came to be known as "Passing Ships" (the Conn). BTW, my suggested title for "Passing Ships" was "Tomorrow is Now!!" -- based on one of the tunes being called "Yesterday's Tomorrow" -- and I think one of the other tunes was listed in the discography as being "Now" -- but the title of "Now" was changed to something else for the release (as best I can remember, and my discography isn't handy).

In all cases I got very good feedback from Michael, and some real encouragement that they'd like to revisit those sessions someday, "maybe", etc... I think I was also but one of dozens of similar suggestions Michael received over the years about all that unreleased Hill material.

BTW, my suggested title for "Passing Ships" was "Tomorrow is Now!!" -- based on one of the tunes being called "Yesterday's Tomorrow"

Might have been some confusion with the Ornette Coleman CD. As well as the Soul Note CD by Fred Houn & the Afro-Asian Music Ensemble - Tomorrow Is Now! Anyway, whatever the name, what a great CD!

My suggestion of the moment: The Complete Atlantic Recordings of the Modern Jazz Quartet.

Now that's and excellent idea! Those fantastic recordings aren't discussed enough. I have pretty much all of them, and there isn't a dull moment anywhere.

Some of them I only got recently. One such is the 2 LP European Concert set. That's a real treat!

I got the LP of one of the very early ones, and was surprised to find that it was in stereo. I forget the title, but I think it was just called "The Modern Jazz Quartet".

Getting back to the original question, like everyone, I have the greatest respect for the folks at Mosaic/True Blue, but I don't really think they listen to any of my suggestions and requests, so I'm not going to bother to contact them again. I realize that there are many marketing and licensing issues and I have absolutely no experience with that.

Anyway, what a fantastic job they have done over the years.

I suggested a Complete Columbia pre-war Ellington, and Scott Wenzel (who is a straordinary guy) told me recently it's planned for the next year. Also I suggested a Victor '30s Goodman big band - we all know how ugly are the transfers, at least for the 3 CD RCA set - and he said they received many similar suggestion, and... Maybe.

As Shrdlu said, anyway they did (and are doing) a wonderful, passionate job, they are very friendly people (I almost love them :wub: ), and the future of the jazz CDs is in their hands. It's partially off topic, but the only thing I don't agree is the new vinyl politics... OK, these are the last days of CD, and perhaps this is a form of self-defense. But CDs are technically superior to vinyl, we all know. Collectors (not me) love vinyl as beautiful objects, like fetish: but the “old thing”, now, it’s not the vinyl, but just the CDs! In a few years, perhaps in months, CDs will become collector’s items, difficult to find also via internet, and mostly the beautiful packages, like, obviously, Mosaics. So, I'd prefere Mosaic people concentrate on with CD reissues, and increase the number of them: with no other box sets available, all the collectors will put their money on CD reissues with graeat boxes, booklet, fabulous remastering. Vinyl is an affair for very few, fewer than CD aficionados. And with them, we lose the comodity of CDs: just what young people find in Mp3!

Excuse me for the long OT