Hank Mobley Poppin' on English ebay

John Delaney

Worth it for the liner notes in which yours truly (circa 1980) says snotty things about Pepper Adams and Art Farmer that he wishes he could take back.

Well, we all have snotty things we said about people 30 years ago that we wish we could take back (I know I do, and have specifics that still haunt me), but thankfully for most of us, no one remembers or is paying any attention to those things 30 years later. The curse of credibility. Adams actually is my all-time favorite on baritone. Thank you, Larry, for being willing to share that with us.

God, that comes to, what, more than 200 dollars? That's just plain silly.

That was last year. Today £99.95 = $139.50 / €107.90, still too much for this disc :)

Yeah - I've noticed that the £ prices for UK vinyl auctions have been going through the roof this year thanks to the daft exchange rate. ;)

God, that comes to, what, more than 200 dollars? That's just plain silly.

That was last year. Today £99.95 = $139.50 / €107.90, still too much for this disc :)

Yeah - I've noticed that the £ prices for UK vinyl auctions have been going through the roof this year thanks to the daft exchange rate. ;)

The euro exchange rate is not so daft at the moment... :)

Worth it for the liner notes in which yours truly (circa 1980) says snotty things about Pepper Adams and Art Farmer that he wishes he could take back.

Mine are in Japanese.....what did you say? :w

"Art Farmer, for my taste, never played as well as he did during this period, perhaps because the hard bop style was at war with his deadening sense of neatness. Possessing a musical mind of dandiacal suavity coupled with the soul of a librarian, Farmer usually sounded too nice to be true. But this rhythm section puts an edge on his style".... etc.

"Adams' problem has always been how to give his lines some sense of overall design; and too often the weight of his huge tone hurtles him forward faster than he can think...." etc.

From a distance of almost 30 years, I can still see what I was talking about in both cases, but that's much too snotty.

I know the £ has plummeted but this price of £99.95 is just damn ridiculous.

Consider the Mosaic Box ... :ph34r:

Agreed. I collected Mobley CD's piece by piece, buying the Japanese TOCJ's when they came out or hunting for the domestic re-issues when applicable. I would be reluctant to pay 1/4 of the asking price (sorry to step on the auction) because a significant probability exists that the CD will be reissued domestically or pop up in another Japanese reissue. I've seen it happen many, many times over the years with Blue Notes. If "African High Life" (the Ilori disc) can appear as a domestic reissue, so can this Mobley, possibly paired up with "Curtain Call."

Regards,

Baker

Hank Mobley's 'Poppin'', referred to recently as a rare Blue Note CD, is to be found on English ebay...

I wonder if anyone will bite at that price.

I was fortunate enough to have picked up a Spanish "gray market" CD of this, from the series with the blue tinted cover art.

I think I like Curtain Call a bit better as well.

I was fortunate enough to have picked up a Spanish "gray market" CD of this, from the series with the blue tinted cover art.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't believe that's a gray market disc at all.

If it's the Spanish Time-Life issue, it was a legitimate release in Spain. The only thing is that it was intended only for the Spanish market, so the fact that it got out elsewhere was an issue I believe.

There are still copies of some of these blue-tinted BN's at my local Half Price Books.