Bobby Hutcherson

mrjazzman

Saw Bobby Hutcherson on Friday night At Yoshi's Jazz Club in Oakland, CA 1-28-2011. His 70th birthday was on the 27th. I must say he looked in bad shape. He is frail and has to use a portable breathing device with the plastic tubing in his nose. I could see him gasping for air from time to time. Didn't realize he was that ill. He was with guitarist Anthony Wilson, local man steady Eddy Marshall on drums(played a beautiful tune on a flute sounding instrument, I think it's a Recorder)the pianist and bassist names escape me. Hutch's music is fine, but, it's sad to see him in his current physical condition at only 70 years of age. If you don't smoke(doesn't matter what)don't start, if you do smoke, STOP.....................

Man time flies, especially for our more experienced humans.

I last saw Bobby as part of the 2006 SF Jazz Collective (the Herbie Hancock year). He looked in such great shape then, a vital force within a group of youngish allstars. I had a similar reaction a few years ago when I saw McCoy Tyner for the first time in several years. A bit shocked/saddened to see this old fellow [McCoy] shuffle onto the stage.

Keep boppin' Bobby!!! (...if you remain up for it)

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Bobby Hutcherson on Friday night At Yoshi's Jazz Club in Oakland, CA 1-28-2011. His 70th birthday was on the 27th. I must say he looked in bad shape. He is frail and has to use a portable breathing device with the plastic tubing in his nose. I could see him gasping for air from time to time. Didn't realize he was that ill. He was with guitarist Anthony Wilson, local man steady Eddy Marshall on drums(played a beautiful tune on a flute sounding instrument, I think it's a Recorder)the pianist and bassist names escape me. Hutch's music is fine, but, it's sad to see him in his current physical condition at only 70 years of age. If you don't smoke(doesn't matter what)don't start, if you do smoke, STOP.....................

That's sad to hear. My favorite vibes player hands down. Was the pianist Joe Gilman? He's a local (Sacramento) musician who is really talented. He's played/toured with Hutcherson in recent years and can be seen/heard on some of the youtube clips of Hutch.

Was listening to Total Eclipse the other day...don't think I'll be able to look at that cover the same way again, at least not for a while...

My thoughts too. :(

Same here - that's probably my favourite album of his.

I think Total Eclipse is Hutcherson's best album as well as the best post-Lion Blue Note album from any artist. Sad to hear that Hutcherson is ailing.