JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been on this board way too long to see yet another format squabble. JLH has done a terrific job with the remasters. If he wants to branch out to other formats, cool, but his primary thrust is to get the music out there. And then there is the costs involved...... BTW, no one has beaten Chuck Nessa over the head with wanting to make him release albums from his label in SACD.

Edited by Stefan Wood

I just think you're over-reacting. Noone is squabbling here, noone is beating anyone over the head to release SACD. It's just a few mentions on a board, some information expressing and sharing.

Mike made a blanket statement about a format that my personal experience leads me to disagree with. I mentioned twice I expected no SACDs from this label.

I"m out of the discussion, but I sort of really hate some of the double standards in this place, like you can diss RVG recordings half the day long, can raise a mighty choir of angels about Blue Note Works cds, but can't discuss SACD. :)

Edited by jazzbo

Surely it's OK to express a preference? It's not a war. Even Chuck did an HDCD and that is not at all an established format. These issues are targeted at an audiophile market so it is to be expected that audiophiles will have an opinion. Not every difference of opinion needs to be treated as a heresy.

I tried several options of audio enhancement, too, although I do not have the funds to go high level - what I said is based on the equipment I have right now. I can imagine the differences audible on jazzbo's gear. Or anybody else's - many factors play a big part, and in considering your options for a possible reissue still others enter the configuration. I am perfectly happy with the way Jonathan does his work.

Discussing SACD in general really is a topic worth its own thread ...

I just think you're over-reacting. Noone is squabbling here, noone is beating anyone over the head to release SACD. It's just a few mentions on a board, some information expressing and sharing.

Mike made a blanket statement about a format that my personal experience leads me to disagree with. I mentioned twice I expected no SACDs from this label.

I"m out of the discussion, but I sort of really hate some of the double standards in this place, like you can diss RVG recordings half the day long, can raise a mighty choir of angels about Blue Note Works cds, but can't discuss SACD. :)

Surely it's OK to express a preference? It's not a war. Even Chuck did an HDCD and that is not at all an established format. These issues are targeted at an audiophile market so it is to be expected that audiophiles will have an opinion. Not every difference of opinion needs to be treated as a heresy.

And another thread threatens to become a war zone... Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I wonder why feelings often get so heated when it comes to audio formats - which is why I suggested earlier to focus on the music. :)

I don't see a war zone. You quoted two people who were saying "what's wrong with expressing an opinion" and painting it as a skirmish.

I agree this has no real further need for discussion in this thread unless JLH wants to address the format etc. But I think this thread and this board can take some expression of differing opinions and respectful back and forth, which is what I see here,

Okay, I'm going back to discussing more content related matters in this thread when I feel I have something to contribute. Sorry for any divergences I may have initiated or escalated.

Edited by jazzbo

I've been lurking here for a while (may have even posted a while back, I can't remember now)... I have the Bill Dixon and Julius Hemphill and think both are phenomenal. I really do hope that Tapscott album is still on the table, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Some other suggestions...I'm sure some of these are wishful thinking on my part, but they are among my favorites and have never been on CD that I am aware of:

Revolutionary Ensemble - The People's Republic and/or Manhattan Cycles

Harold Land - Choma (Burn) and/or A New Shade of Blue

Joseph Jarman - Sunbound

Mtume Umoja Ensemble - Alkebu-lan, Land of the Blacks

Edited by webbcity

[Tapscott] mentions (p 115) an unreleased/unfinished album: "We recorded The Giant Is Awakened and part of another album that I never finished" - wonder if those tapes are extant or were they erased?

Would be nice if they could be added to the original LP if they do still exist.

That's an exciting prospect. I didn't know about this unfinished album. I wonder if it's related at all to the "Birth of The New Cool" project. I seem to recall that Tapscott had wanted different musicians for that session with Sonny Criss (— a session that still sounds great to me). Imagine Arthur Blythe in that setting!

At any rate, I really hope The Giant Is Awakened sees reissue. Though I've lived with the music for some time now, it'd be great to hear this recording with the JLH treatment. As with the other IP reissues, I'll purchase a copy on Day One. I haven't heard a note of the Steig, but I'm purchasing a copy of this one too.

Edited by Late

Has Perry Robinson's Funk Dumpling on Savoy ever been on CD? Looks like it has been issued on CD in Japan, but not the LP cover I remember. George Scala played this for me at his house 12 or so years ago. It is one of those albums that I have never stopped thinking about.

The Fischer sounds right up my alley!

Has Perry Robinson's Funk Dumpling on Savoy ever been on CD? Looks like it has been issued on CD in Japan, but not the LP cover I remember. George Scala played this for me at his house 12 or so years ago. It is one of those albums that I have never stopped thinking about.

The Fischer sounds right up my alley!

The Perry Robinson was released in the Savoy/Denon cd series.

Romualdo, nope not second thoughts really on reissuing Tapscott. I had thought maybe because it was kind of issued on the CD, West Coast Hot I might not. But it needs a full packaging and proper sound (on West Coast Hot it sounds like a giant AM radio) so I will put it out. Too important and who else would put it out at this point. So i will at least put out the Carter Bradford work and Tapscott. I'd like to hear if there is anything else killer on Flying Dutchman. Someone mentioned Oliver Nelson earlier. Don't know that work.

Edited by JLH

Has Perry Robinson's Funk Dumpling on Savoy ever been on CD? Looks like it has been issued on CD in Japan, but not the LP cover I remember.

post-282-0-80701300-1335928156_thumb.jpg

6j.jpg

(Attachments is the original cover; big pic is the CD cover.) This is Kenny Barron's LP debut, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Late

Romualdo, nope not second thoughts really on reissuing TapscSomeone mentioned Oliver Nelson earlier. Don't know that work.

Black, Brown, and Beautiful

Not nearly enough clips on You tube, but here's two.

The lead cut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgFtzps9b9o

and another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOi6vbHNaps

Probably not what you're looking for, but it's never been reissued anywhere ever that I know of, and it's collectively Oliver's best writing, I think. At least his least encumbered (and this was a guy who willingly took on a lot of encumbrances). Subtly defiant music (you talk about original voicings, anybody who's played this stuff knows how it's anything but formulaic....and the liner notes are pretty...unambiguously political) on the verge of being lost. Somebody needs to get it out somewhere.

There's also a bunch of Nelson gems in the FD catalog, but for one album, this is the most coherent and least-distracted. But whoever owns the catalog now and whoever has the resources and interest to do a fitting tribute to Oliver Nelson need to get together. This guy does not need to be forgotten or remembered only for Blues And The Abstract Truth.