Ray Bryant RIP

Free For All

Very sad news - R.I.P.

He was one of those soloists who made an impression on me that they could improvise forever and ever, chous after chorus - Con Alma on the Columbia LP Stereojack mentioned is a good example. Will spin his Prestige Trio LP for breakfast ...

But the Pablo trio LPs were very nice, too - the one with George Duvivier in particular.

Edited by mikeweil

His handsomely recorded (by Malcolm Addey) 1998 trio album on JMI "Ray's Tribute To His Jazz Piano Friends" (with Ray Drummond and Winard Harper) is a gem. Nice cover photo of Bryant and soulful accounts from him in the liner notes of his connection to each pianist he pays tribute to. The version of Brubeck's "The Duke" is exceptional; he really plays on that piece.

But the Pablo trio LPs were very nice, too - the one with George Duvivier in particular.

Is that "Here's Ray Bryant" or "All Blues"? Yes, I want to second that - I also like "Solo Flight" (Pablo), and "Somewhere in France" (Label M).

"Here's Ray Bryant" is the one with Duvivier - that was, IIRC the first album to make me appreciate this great bass player.

Somewhere in France - I never found a copy but heard only good things about it.