Frank Foster has passed away

ghost of miles

WBGO's The Checkout...

No disrespect meant or anything, but that's really funny in a dark kinda way...

Anyway, RIP, Mr. Foster. You were a consummate musician, a consummate professional, and your spirit of adventure & enthusiasm will continue to inspire.

If I ever have the time, I need to scan & post an article Mr. Foster wrote for a local NYC jazz newspaper back around 1979 or so. In it, he talked about how all his years touring with Basie pretty much isolated him from what was going on in the rest of the jazz world, and what a shock it was to him when he left the road and got a whiff of everything else that was going on. To see how he responded, staying true to his core identity, but making a willful and purposeful decision to "add new elements" that he found valid and which made sense for him, hey, I respect the hell outta that.

For those it would appeal to, I heartily recommend Hank & Frank on Doubletime, Hank Marr the nominal leader on a program of Basie or Basie-inspired tunes. I don't think Frank recorded with an organist elsewhere and its one of many CDs I'll be spinning in rememberance.

Oh damn, what a shame. It was only at the weekend that I was giving his Nippon Columbia 'Giant Steps' LP several spins and marvelling at just how brilliant it is. Frank Foster never got enough credit for his consumate professionalism - and was a consistently fine and under-rated tenor and soprano soloist, both small groups and big bands. The 'Giant Steps' and 'Manhattan Fever' LPs will be going on deck tonight..