Complete Woody Shaw on Columbia

Head Man

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if it's new mastering, that's something different. This is the first of the sets released so far via Pop Market exclusively in the US that tempts me.

Okay, here we go again... Is this to be available ONLY in the US? And does this mean that it WILL NOT be shipped to anyone OUTSIDE the US? I understand Pop Market may have the exclusive right to sell it, but what is the total availability?

And Shawoody, you still haven't explained your position in this. Have you a horse in this race, other than as a fan?

(And BTW, new remastering ain't always better remastering, as we've all experienced. Not likely in this case, but y'know...) :shrug[1]:

Ted, from what I read on the Hoffman board, Pop Market ships to Canada.

If the mastering is new mastering by Mark Wilder, I personally would consider that a plus.

That question was asked several times now... guess it's "answers in your next life" :)

Not afraid to run the risk of wayne-ing interest in the new release, I see!

Maybe a more tangible answer will be available as the time to the release date becomes Shorter.

"Yes."

Oh, wait - is that "Yes" as in: more from the "Stepping Stones" sessions than was ever released, or "yes" as in "a more tangible answere will be available as the time to the release date becomes shorter"?

If it's the first, it's great news!

(Jim: funny Freudian slip with Shorter!)

That question was asked several times now... guess it's "answers in your next life" :)

Not afraid to run the risk of wayne-ing interest in the new release, I see!

Maybe a more tangible answer will be available as the time to the release date becomes Shorter.

"Yes."

Oh, wait - is that "Yes" as in: more from the "Stepping Stones" sessions than was ever released, or "yes" as in "a more tangible answere will be available as the time to the release date becomes shorter"?

If it's the first, it's great news!

(Jim: funny Freudian slip with Shorter!)

The first "yes."

That is very cool news, then!

I just hope that this will be available over in ol' yurp!

"Ted, from what I read on the Hoffman board, Pop Market ships to Canada."

Yes, it does...clicked on that link and it even quotes in CDN$. (Which will keep going up -- despite our own parliamentarians' doofus-ness, because of the US doofuses).

Still would like to know which lake Shawoody's oar is in. I love Woody Shaw (and got to know him a bit during his trips to Toronto) but I'm starting to feel manipulated, that a corporate entity is whipping up a frenzy. I don't need that -- I'll buy the artistry of Woody Shaw without being hustled.

It's explained in The King's English in previous posts.

Well, that's the problem, then! I never learned the difference between "ye" and "yee-ha". So 'I used neither....or is it nighther...

Ether (or is it either?) way, it'll be great to have some previously unavailable Woody to be available.

Verily!

:blink:

Yes, it does...clicked on that link and it even quotes in CDN$. (Which will keep going up -- despite our own parliamentarians' doofus-ness, because of the US doofuses).

Still would like to know which lake Shawoody's oar is in. I love Woody Shaw (and got to know him a bit during his trips to Toronto) but I'm starting to feel manipulated, that a corporate entity is whipping up a frenzy. I don't need that -- I'll buy the artistry of Woody Shaw without being hustled.

That's funny. No frenzies or corporate manipulation over here, bud. Strictly for the music. What's relevant has been shared. Anything beyond that is either undisclosable or beyond the scope of this thread. I suggest focusing on the positive and not speculating on corporate conspiracies. Just be glad the music is coming out.

(No rancor here, but maybe a bit of what-did-I-miss?)

Sha (may I call you "Sha"?), I don't know you (you've only been here on Organissimo a short while) so you have no track record with me about your motives. You are anonymous and don't even say where you are when I click on you for further identification.

Maybe I do know you, and you are "allowed" :rolleyes: to call me "bud", but otherwise, please don't.

I also don't need advice about corporate conspiracies. Been dealing with that for a looong time without your direction. Don't patonize me to tell I should be glad the music is coming out. Also, I don't need to be told where to focus.

I spent 40 years in radio, being hustled by Promo Guys telling me "Craig Hundley may be only 15, but he blows Art Tatum away", and such, and you have the same tone here. I still wonder why you are willing to *tease* and say things like "undisclosable" and "beyond the scope of this thread" when that's why you opened it. (I really do appreciate that).

But then you send people to a website that has no further info, when I all (and possibly others) wanted was (gulp) further info. When I seek that, you indicate Insider Knowledge that you'll dole out when it serves your purpose...

If the purpose is to let Outsiders Without Knowledge admire you for being Inside, all you've done (for me, probably nobody else) is make me wonder why you don't just wait until the Shaw material (which I want, did I say that?) is actually available?

I guess it's just that Promo-man tone I think I hear, that makes me feel I've run across Entertainment Tonight telling me to stand by by more info on Lindsay Lohan right after this message...

:blink:

That's funny. No frenzies or corporate manipulation over here, bud. Strictly for the music. What's relevant has been shared. Anything beyond that is either undisclosable or beyond the scope of this thread. I suggest focusing on the positive and not speculating on corporate conspiracies. Just be glad the music is coming out.

(No rancor here, but maybe a bit of what-did-I-miss?)

Sha (may I call you "Sha"?), I don't know you (you've only been here on Organissimo a short while) so you have no track record with me about your motives. You are anonymous and don't even say where you are when I click on you for further identification.

Maybe I do know you, and you are "allowed" :rolleyes: to call me "bud", but otherwise, please don't.

I also don't need advice about corporate conspiracies. Been dealing with that for a looong time without your direction. Don't patonize me to tell I should be glad the music is coming out. Also, I don't need to be told where to focus.

I spent 40 years in radio, being hustled by Promo Guys telling me "Craig Hundley may be only 15, but he blows Art Tatum away", and such, and you have the same tone here. I still wonder why you are willing to *tease* and say things like "undisclosable" and "beyond the scope of this thread" when that's why you opened it. (I really do appreciate that).

But then you send people to a website that has no further info, when I all (and possibly others) wanted was (gulp) further info. When I seek that, you indicate Insider Knowledge that you'll dole out when it serves your purpose...

If the purpose is to let Outsiders Without Knowledge admire you for being Inside, all you've done (for me, probably nobody else) is make me wonder why you don't just wait until the Shaw material (which I want, did I say that?) is actually available?

I guess it's just that Promo-man tone I think I hear, that makes me feel I've run across Entertainment Tonight telling me to stand by by more info on Lindsay Lohan right after this message...

I must admit that Shawoody's posts make me feel a bit uneasy too, they do indeed read like corporate promos, revealing just enough to keep people interested in the big Shaw bang later this year... [The suspense is killing me]

fwiw, Head Man started this thread, & WIII stopped by to elucidate upon the OP's original curiosity, for which I myself am thankful, if for no other reason than I'd not have thought twice about even considering this set, having pretty much already having all the Woody Shaw that has been had to get. But I ain't got tired yet...

OTOH, WIII, please understand that this \board is regularly hit upon by "strangers" who do nothing but show up and pimp, "street team" types and other odious vessels of vacuity. It's been a while, I think, since you've been here, so Ted can be forgiven for not realizing that you are family with a pride in the product for both personal reasons as well as business.

As far as the Mosaic set goes, it was reasonably priced when it was still in print (and it stayed in print damn near forever, thank you MC!), but now it's not, and prices are no longer reasonable. I myself think it's both good business and a good deed to make a move to restore this material to general circulation and to bring some added value in the process. Of all the people in this music who should never be forgotten but well might be without an ongoing energetic effort to keep their work in the marketplace, Woody Shaw is definitely on the list, and pretty high up on it at that. Woody Shaw was a baaaaaaaddddd man, more than many realized then, damn sure more than most realize now, a giant in a time when there were still giants. Today, in a time when midgets seem normal-sized and normal-sized seem like giants, I for one want to have some people around to keep a realistic sense of scale in place. Woody Shaw is for sure one of those guys.

Everybody cool with that?

:party::tup

fwiw, Head Man started this thread, & WIII stopped by to elucidate upon the OP's original curiosity, for which I myself am thankful, if for no other reason than I'd not have thought twice about even considering this set, having pretty much already having all the Woody Shaw that has been had to get. But I ain't got tired yet...

OTOH, WIII, please understand that this \board is regularly hit upon by "strangers" who do nothing but show up and pimp, "street team" types and other odious vessels of vacuity. It's been a while, I think, since you've been here, so Ted can be forgiven for not realizing that you are family with a pride in the product for both personal reasons as well as business.

As far as the Mosaic set goes, it was reasonably priced when it was still in print (and it stayed in print damn near forever, thank you MC!), but now it's not, and prices are no longer reasonable. I myself think it's both good business and a good deed to make a move to restore this material to general circulation and to bring some added value in the process. Of all the people in this music who should never be forgotten but well might be without an ongoing energetic effort to keep their work in the marketplace, Woody Shaw is definitely on the list, and pretty high up on it at that. Woody Shaw was a baaaaaaaddddd man, more than many realized then, damn sure more than most realize now, a giant in a time when there were still giants. Today, in a time when midgets seem normal-sized and normal-sized seem like giants, I for one want to have some people around to keep a realistic sense of scale in place. Woody Shaw is for sure one of those guys.

Everybody cool with that?

Wow......how great oak trees grow from little acorns! I only asked if anyone knew what might be on the bonus disc :wacko:

Anyway, thanks for all the info shawoody even if it does look like the set won't be available in the UK. I already have the Mosaic set plus Stepping Stones so I'm probably content with that. However I agree it's very good news that all this wonderful music will soon be available again.

Edited by Head Man

Geez! He tried to give a "heads up" and gets all this grief. Say thanks and wait for details.

Following Chuck's advice: Thanks. Look forward to hearing more in the early fall :D

Well, the guy's just flogging his stuff. Does the board get a cut? It's fine and we see it here often, but let's not pretend it's anything other than it is.

[Well, the guy's just flogging his stuff. Does the board get a cut? It's fine and we see it here often, but let's not pretend it's anything other than it is.

I guess I now see it as a son preserving his father's legacy, something he's been doing for a few years now. Maybe the tone of the conversation turned a little sour, but the underlying message is still the same: the music of Woody Shaw II is being treated with respect and will hopefully reach new listeners at the same time as it is enjoyed by those of us have heard it before. Good luck shawoody.

I guess I now see it as a son preserving his father's legacy, something he's been doing for a few years now. Maybe the tone of the conversation turned a little sour, but the underlying message is still the same: the music of Woody Shaw II is being treated with respect and will hopefully reach new listeners at the same time as it is enjoyed by those of us have heard it before. Good luck shawoody.

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Edited by felser