Complete Woody Shaw on Columbia

Head Man

The ENTIRE Complete Woody Shaw Columbia Albums Collection is due for reissue

by Sony Legacy in late August early September, 2011. The website of distribution is: http://popmarket.com/features/25809191

The distribution method for this reissue is D2C (direct to consumer) so the boxset will only be available from the website. It was co-produced by Michael Cuscuna and Woody Shaw III and features new material never before heard by ANYONE. So, you won't have to buy the Mosaic Boxset for those ridiculous prices anymore. All of the music will be available again and REMASTERED BY SONY!

Saw this on another jazz blog recently. Anyone have any idea what might be on the bonus disc of unreleased material?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by Sony Legacy in late August early September, 2011. The website of distribution is: http://popmarket.com/features/25809191

The distribution method for this reissue is D2C (direct to consumer) so the boxset will only be available from the website. It was co-produced by Michael Cuscuna and Woody Shaw III and features new material never before heard by ANYONE. So, you won't have to buy the Mosaic Boxset for those ridiculous prices anymore. All of the music will be available again and REMASTERED BY SONY!

Saw this on another jazz blog recently. Anyone have any idea what might be on the bonus disc of unreleased material?

Might this not BE the Mosaic box, released by the content owner, Sony? It would have been simply leased to Mosaic for a specified period. Now, the rights have reverted to the owner.

With the technical work done, Sony can release it without much new expense, just packaging costs. I don't have the Mosaic, but maybe the mastering was done by Sony people in the first place? Can someone look that up?

As to 'unreleased material', could the reference be a bit outdated, and refer to content that wasn't out before the Mosaic set's issue?

(And I disagree with the first poster -- considering EVERYTHING, I don't find Mosaic prices *ridiculous*.)

The Mosaic box didn't include the "live" session (released as "Stepping Stones") from the Vanguard. Sony did release that title, with a couple extra cuts - but one issued cut missing! (Think Michael Cuscuna thought that one track was too commercial. Although weren't the commercial tracks the ones that helped sell the albums?) (And, as I recall, it wasn't exactly "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy.")

The Mosaic box didn't include the "live" session (released as "Stepping Stones") from the Vanguard. Sony did release that title, with a couple extra cuts - but one issued cut missing! (Think Michael Cuscuna thought that one track was too commercial. Although weren't the commercial tracks the ones that helped sell the albums?) (And, as I recall, it wasn't exactly "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy.")

Nothing too commercial... Stepping Stones should have/could have been a double LP (or followed by a Vol. 2)... but the powers in charge didn't think so. What the CD did was restore the second album, but it had to omit a track from the original LP to fit in all the additional tracks.

Happy owner of the CD and the LP here - great music, that's for sure!

"It All Comes Back To You" by Onaje Allan Gumbs. Definitely radio-friendly, but hardly a commercial throwaway IMHO. I've always liked the tune.

BTW, whatever happened to Gumbs? I haven't seen a lot from him since the Woody days.

Edited by Free For All

Onaje be chantin' & stayin' busy: http://www.myspace.com/onajeallangumbs After he left the Woody band, he went into that Norman Connors thing. He's a muti-faceted talent, as they used to say back when that term actually had meaning.

Also agree about "It All Comes Back To You" not being a commercial tune. "Populist", yeah, but in no way a step down and/or away from anything else on that album. That comment by Cuscuna has frustrated/puzzled/pissed me off ever since he made it. Total bullshit, imo.

Stand by for a tsunami of Woody Mosaic CD sets on ebay !

It's not the Mosaic set, and the extra CD is from the previously unissued (now get this) SECOND HALF of the the Village Vanguard "Stepping Stones" concert. Essentially, Stepping Stones PART II.

:party::party: Any new Woody release is to be celebrated !

Edited by sidewinder

Might this not BE the Mosaic box, released by the content owner, Sony? It would have been simply leased to Mosaic for a specified period. Now, the rights have reverted to the owner.

With the technical work done, Sony can release it without much new expense, just packaging costs. I don't have the Mosaic, but maybe the mastering was done by Sony people in the first place? Can someone look that up?

As to 'unreleased material', could the reference be a bit outdated, and refer to content that wasn't out before the Mosaic set's issue?

(And I disagree with the first poster -- considering EVERYTHING, I don't find Mosaic prices *ridiculous*.)

It's not the Mosaic set, and the extra CD is from the previously unissued (now get this) SECOND HALF of the the Village Vanguard "Stepping Stones" concert. Essentially, Stepping Stones PART II. Woody and Michael had originally omitted it but Michael and Woody's son have brought it out of the vaults for Woody's fans to enjoy. It's also been remastered by Sony's SEVEN-time Grammy-nominated and THREE-time Grammy-winning sound engineer, Mark Wilder. So, this set is more complete than the Mosaic in terms of Shaw's Columbia recordings.

Woody III co-produced, curated, and designed the new boxset for his dad. Cuscuna is behind the set and also did the new Dexter Gordon set coming out at the same time (all of his Columbia recordings), which also features Woody of course, plus new bonus material never before released, which also features more Woody. 2012 is looking more and more like a Woody year.

"Stepping Stones" wasn't on the Mosaic... but what's that "Part II", then? Not the same bonus material from its Legacy CD reissue, but yet more? Expanding it to two CDs?

It's not the Mosaic set, and the extra CD is from the previously unissued (now get this) SECOND HALF of the the Village Vanguard "Stepping Stones" concert.

Well, in fact the content IS the Mosaic, with performance recordings added, right? :unsure:

Well, it's kind of the opposite. The Mosaic was a compilation of THIS material. Mosaic didn't have any live recordings except Escape Velocity.

Plus, this material has been remastered, there's bonus material, new notes, new photos, and new artwork - as with all of the current Columbia Boxsets.

This is the product line: http://popmarket.com/features/25809191

New package altogether.

I'm not trying to belabour this, but packaging aside, it's the same content as the Mosaic, with ALL of Stepping Stones (even previously unavailable tracks) added? I didn't get the Mosaic, so I'll be getting this one, but that popmarket link doesn't show anything about the Shaw release.

How do you come by the details? Are you working on the project in some capacity? Inside info is always welcome!

It's not the Mosaic set, and the extra CD is from the previously unissued (now get this) SECOND HALF of the the Village Vanguard "Stepping Stones" concert.

Well, in fact the content IS the Mosaic, with performance recordings added, right? :unsure:

Well, it's kind of the opposite. The Mosaic was a compilation of THIS material. Mosaic didn't have any live recordings except Escape Velocity.

Plus, this material has been remastered, there's bonus material, new notes, new photos, and new artwork - as with all of the current Columbia Boxsets.

This is the product line: http://popmarket.com/features/25809191

New package altogether.

I'm not trying to belabour this, but packaging aside, it's the same content as the Mosaic, with ALL of Stepping Stones (even previously unavailable tracks) added? I didn't get the Mosaic, so I'll be getting this one, but that popmarket link doesn't show anything about the Shaw release.

How do you come by the details? Are you working on the project in some capacity? Inside info is always welcome!

Correct. New product altogether. I've divulged as much as I can. Friends with the people who worked on the project.

Well, if the 4 albums that were in the Mosaic set (mentioned in my earlier post) are included it won't be completely new product :)

Well, if it's new mastering, that's something different. This is the first of the sets released so far via Pop Market exclusively in the US that tempts me.

Okay, here we go again... Is this to be available ONLY in the US? And does this mean that it WILL NOT be shipped to anyone OUTSIDE the US? I understand Pop Market may have the exclusive right to sell it, but what is the total availability?

And Shawoody, you still haven't explained your position in this. Have you a horse in this race, other than as a fan?

(And BTW, new remastering ain't always better remastering, as we've all experienced. Not likely in this case, but y'know...) :shrug[1]: