What will be the material chosen for the next Miles Davis Bootleg volu

jazzbo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep thinking about July '73 as the next likely. The Montreux show is now out on DVD, so that's an easy prep (that's part of why we had '67 last time perhaps, the DVD had been prepared for the Complete Albums box set?), It's long enough to barely be a disc of its own if there's no other video suitable. If there are some professionally recorded concerts from this tour to fill tow or three cds, that would make a really nice package.

Known appearances on that tour:

July 6: Temple of Jupiter, Baalbeck

July 8: Montreux Jazz Festival

July 10: Rainbow Theatre, London

July 11: Olympia Theatre, Paris

July 16: Parco delle Naiadi, Pescara

July 17: Teatro Romano, Verona

July 20: La Pinède, Juan-les-Pins

That would be interesting, indeed. Of those dates, I only have Montreux and Paris. Do the others circulate? There is also the dynamite show from Tokyo on June 19 that would be worth considering.

Rainbow is a good show musically. Sound isn't bad, but the drums are loud. There's also a wealth of recordings from a European tour later that year.

I don't know whether these would be part of the "Bootleg Series" or something else, or ignored altogether. But when Legacy asked the top vote getting (one could allocate points in any manner) Miles projects were:

Complete Live In Japan 1975 (3446 votes)

Complete "At Fillmore" 1970 (2545)

Complete Columbia 1980s sessions (588)

'60s live material (Juan-les-Pins, and anything w/ the 60s quintet (336) - by GregK :)

Either GregK has great pull w/ Sony/Legacy or they're using different measures to determine what to release.

I'm easy, there's lots of stuff I'd love to see, be it w/ Coltrane, the transition years or more of the '60s Quintet, Lost Quintet, '75...Lack of booklet pocket aside, I still am amazed at what a generous release in terms of material & price Bootleg 1 was!

I wonder if that has anything to do with visitors to that site coming mostly from a rock background? Just a guess....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks to JETman for alerting me to this.

Kossjack over on the Hoffman board was right about the next bootleg edition: 1969 Miles: Antibes, Stockholm, Berlin, three cds and one DVD (Berlin).

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Legacy.html

Also to be released: an eight lp set of mono versions of Round About Midnight, Miles Ahead, Milestones, Jazz Track, Porgy and Bess, Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, and Someday My Prince Will Come. Wow.

So this is in fact the 2-CD Complete Antibes set slated for release several years ago, plus another CD and a DVD. I wonder why neither set from Stockholm will be complete. Losin mentions problems with an electric piano.

Bertrand.

Both sets from Antibes? Sure? That would be just great!

So this is in fact the 2-CD Complete Antibes set slated for release several years ago, plus another CD and a DVD. I wonder why neither set from Stockholm will be complete. Losin mentions problems with an electric piano.

Bertrand.

Both sets from Antibes would fit on two cds, so that will be complete I wager. Not sure why the Stockholm isn't complete. . . I'm sure the notes will make mention. I'm eager for this set! :)

No, Tony, Herbie and Ron are out of the band. This is "electric Miles."

Am I alone in finding it pretty lame to re-pack the Copenhagen DVD that was in the BB Anniversary set already?

They could have done better than that! (Or maybe they still can!)

Where are they regurgitating the Copenhagen DVD? Not in this set, apparently.

No, Tony, Herbie and Ron are out of the band. This is "electric Miles."

Am I alone in finding it pretty lame to re-pack the Copenhagen DVD that was in the BB Anniversary set already?

They could have done better than that! (Or maybe they still can!)

Where are they regurgitating the Copenhagen DVD? Not in this set, apparently.

Sorry, just noticed my bad... DVD is from Berlin. Not sure how I got to this mix-up.

Sort of disappointed that a thread started about this set was closed. Yes, we are discussing the set here, but this thread is about speculation on other upcoming threads as well. There's a specific thread about the first volume on the board, and this one wasn't closed. I don't get the rationale.

Bertrand.

Those are great concerts. (Though I think some of the fall concerts are even better!)

Sort of disappointed that a thread started about this set was closed. Yes, we are discussing the set here, but this thread is about speculation on other upcoming threads as well. There's a specific thread about the first volume on the board, and this one wasn't closed. I don't get the rationale.

Neither do I...

Bertrand.

Those are great concerts. (Though I think some of the fall concerts are even better!)

Yes, I do agree - to me, the November tour is kind of the main oeuvre of the Lost Quintet - so the balance of that new set is somewhat off, I find.

Neither do I...

Bertrand.

Yes, I do agree - to me, the November tour is kind of the main oeuvre of the Lost Quintet - so the balance of that new set is somewhat off, I find.

Well, if they dig up and clean off another video, maybe there will be a second volume from the fall!