Whitney Houston has died.

Hardbopjazz

I absolutely hated what she did to Dolly Parton's song "I Will Always Love You". I think she took it beyond the cringe—it was literally painful to my ears. I soon learned that many Europeans had been nauseated by that overkilled passage. I still find that was interesting for I haven't heard of any other performance (except a decidedly inferior one) affecting people so adversely. Does anyone else recall reading about this?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely hated what she did to Dolly Parton's song "I Will Always Love You". I think she took it beyond the cringe—it was literally painful to my ears. I soon learned that many Europeans had been nauseated by that overkilled passage. I still find that was interesting for I haven't heard of any other performance (except a decidedly inferior one) affecting people so adversely. Does anyone else recall reading about this?

Being European and having witnessed that era when that song was "hot" I can confirm 100% what you say. Way over the top, and really caricaturesque in the opinions of quite a few. More of an exercise in voice gymnastics - not only in my ears ...

And referring to Stefan Wood's statement that her vocals have become the template for all too many, I figure this kind of vocal jumps definitely is part of that emulation.

what a huge drag. i was never a real fan of her's per se, but for whatever reason i always LOVED her version of "I'm Every Woman":

Whitney's I'm Every Woman

some may think it's cheesy, but i love everything about her version of this song. and of course she gives the shout out to Chaka toward the end. perfect. RIP Whitney...

Edited by thedwork

I think she had a great voice that was horribly mangled by the popular music scene of the 80s and 90s. It was used as a special effect, not a musical instrument, and this has become the template for a lot of vocalists that have followed.

My feelings exactly, gotta say despite it all I always had a soft spot for her....

It is on CNN right now. Although I am not a fan she at one time had a wonderful singing voice. 48. Way too young.

How very, very sad. I can only imagine how Cissy must be feeling. This is a real tragedy.

Being European and having witnessed that era when that song was "hot" I can confirm 100% what you say. Way over the top, and really caricaturesque in the opinions of quite a few. More of an exercise in voice gymnastics - not only in my ears ...

And referring to Stefan Wood's statement that her vocals have become the template for all too many, I figure this kind of vocal jumps definitely is part of that emulation.

Maybe so. But your timing sucks. Wait till the body's cold. Show a little respect, man. Jesus......

Maybe so. But your timing sucks. Wait till the body's cold. Show a little respect, man. Jesus......

The only thing I can add in my sadness is I wish Natalie Cole good health. She's my girl, the best popular singer out there IMO. Looked fine last time I checked in, despite worrisome rumors.

I'm not much of a fan, but the disease is cunning, baffling and powerful.

I guess she slipped, I hope for her family and loved ones that she died of more natural causes than some kind of overdose. Remember how the family of Amy Winehouse insisted that she was clean until the coroners report let the world know she drank herself to death?

She had a hit with a tune that George Benson did first. Anyone recall the title?

"The Greatest Love at All"

IIRC it was originally written for a bio-pic of Ali which starred the man himself and was called "The Greatest". The words state the the greatest love you can have is for yourself. Always found that strange. I lived across the street from one of the writers who of course was thrilled when Houston's version took off.

She had a hit with a tune that George Benson did first. Anyone recall the title?

"The Greatest Love at All"

IIRC it was originally written for a bio-pic of Ali which starred the man himself and was called "The Greatest". The words state the the greatest love you can have is for yourself. Always found that strange. I lived across the street from one of the writers who of course was thrilled when Houston's version took off.

Ironically, it seems that Whitney didn't love herself enough to "straighten up and fly right." Don't know if she died from it, but a life of drug abuse is a loveless life.

I'm not much of a fan, but the disease is cunning, baffling and powerful.

I guess she slipped, I hope for her family and loved ones that she died of more natural causes than some kind of overdose. Remember how the family of Amy Winehouse insisted that she was clean until the coroners report let the world know she drank herself to death?

Now the word is Xanax and booze, lying face down in the tub. Not a pretty thought, if it's true.

i agree with u on that chris, its too overblown. the 90s is too late a period for a torch song

What I told Chris and the other guy. With all due respect, can't you wait a little? A singer has died and it's a tragedy. Time to mourn and be sad, not play armchair critic. It's not what you said, it's the timing. A mother is in mourning. You guys are too much sometimes.

Sensitivity. It's in the dictionary.

I've never been a fan, but I know an amazing singing voice when I hear it. It's a shame she didn't have a really prolific production team behind her to keep her busy making hits instead of busy ruining her health.

Pills and booze can so easily be a deadly combination. There's only so much a human filtration system can handle. I agree with aloc to a point--she probably had enablers who didn't have her best interests in mind. Then again, celebs often won't take advice and dictate who surrounds them...

RIP, Whitney.

in the armies of her mourners are dozens of 'enablers', often known as friends.

You are doubtless right, but it doesn't mean they aren't deeply sad or horrified. If they really were enablers on some level perhaps they feel responsible.

The thing is, as a proud athiest not only don't I believe in God, but don't play him (her? it?) on TV either. And IMO neither should anyone---while being entitled to their opinions, for sure. But it's only that, opinion. I've tried to bring this up before and people tend to get insulted. Tough darts if they do. We all tend to judge people. When we do it seems it's a de facto self-elevation. I don't know the answer to that one, and have met few truly humble people in my time. I really believe ego is involved in judging others. And I'm calling myself out on that one too (maybe first).

someone on stevehofffman posted this, one of her 1st sessions....a cover of a hugh hopper song soft machine recorded (wtf) with sax solo by Archie Shepp (wtf)

Yes, it's on Material's One Down LP, with that song also issued as a 12" single. Not bad. Though IIRC it's a Robert Wyatt song.

Pretty sure "Memories" is a Hopper song, though Wyatt sang it a lot. First shows up on the Soft Machine demos from 1967.