Dameronia: The Life and Music of Tadd Dameron

Dameronia is the first authoritative biography of Tadd Dameron, an important and widely influential figure in jazz history as one of the most significant composers and arrangers of jazz, swing, bebop, and big band. He arranged for names like Count Basie, Artie Shaw, Jimmie Lunceford, and Dizzy Gillespie and played with Bull Moose Jackson and Benny Golson. This book sets out to clarify Dameron’s place in the development of jazz in the post-WWII era. It also attempts to shed light on the tragedy of his retreat from the center of jazz activity in the 1950s. By tracing Dameron’s career, one finds that until 1958, when he was incarcerated for drug related offenses, he was at the forefront of developments in jazz, sometimes anticipating trends that would not develop fully for several years. Dameron was also an important influence on several high-profile musicians, including Miles Davis, Benny Golson, and Frank Foster. Dameron was a very private man, and while in some aspects of his life he will probably remain an enigma, this book manages to give an intimate portrait of his life at a couple of key stages: the height of his career in 1949 and the brief but productive period between his release from prison and his death.

Amazon has a release date listed of late December.

http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do;jsessionid=3AC8D1634367A0ECF24A488E2F55EDA1?id=22963

http://www.amazon.com/Dameronia-Life-Music-Dameron-Perspectives/dp/0472114131/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349145395&sr=1-1&keywords=dameronia

This is great news. IRRC the last recording Mr. Dameron released after his troubles was a big band date called Dial B for Beauty-ca. 1960. As far as his influence as composer, it is untold. Besides influencing all those people in his circle you mention with such melodic, lyrical, and swinging writing listen to all the TV arranging from that period-like it or not, they 'borrowed' Tadd's voicings. Especially the saxes. Listen to I Love Lucy. Tadd should have gotten royalties. As far as the people you mentioned I can verify one as correct. I had the pleasure once of talling about composing w/Benny Golson. I asked who his favorite writers were. His exact words were 'I was touched by Tadd Dameron and went from there'. Again thanks for posting this.

This is great news. IRRC the last recording Mr. Dameron released after his troubles was a big band date called Dial B for Beauty-ca. 1960. As far as his influence as composer, it is untold. Besides influencing all those people in his circle you mention with such melodic, lyrical, and swinging writing listen to all the TV arranging from that period-like it or not, they 'borrowed' Tadd's voicings. Especially the saxes. Listen to I Love Lucy. Tadd should have gotten royalties. As far as the people you mentioned I can verify one as correct. I had the pleasure once of talling about composing w/Benny Golson. I asked who his favorite writers were. His exact words were 'I was touched by Tadd Dameron and went from there'. Again thanks for posting this.

Yes, Golson is very clearly in the line of descent from Dameron and only slightly less so, Gryce too. That 1953 band that Tadd led with them both and Clifford Brown must have been a very formative unit.

Yes, Golson is very clearly in the line of descent from Dameron and only slightly less so, Gryce too. That 1953 band that Tadd led with them both and Clifford Brown must have been a very formative unit.

Gigi Gryce is another estimable talent, player-composer. I wonder if he and Benny were in the Bullmoose Jackson band together. That had to be some band! I've been meaning to get around to reading Rat Race Blues. I hope it's not too depressing, since word is he was run out of the business when he tried to control and publish his own compositions and those of others.

Gigi Gryce is another estimable talent, player-composer. I wonder if he and Benny were in the Bullmoose Jackson band together. That had to be some band! I've been meaning to get around to reading Rat Race Blues. I hope it's not too depressing, since word is he was run out of the business when he tried to control and publish his own compositions and those of others.

I haven't read Rat Race Blues either, but I have listened to board member David Brent Johnson's 2-part radio show on Gryce in which he interviews Mike Fitzgerald, author of Rat Race Blues. A great deal is said about Gryce's attempt to reform music publishing and the impact on him of the retaliation.

http://indianapublicmedia.org/nightlights/gigi-gryce-part-1-social-call/

http://indianapublicmedia.org/nightlights/gigi-gryce-part-2-rat-race-blues/

I suppose, if Gryce had been in that Bullmoose Jackson Band, Golson would have mentioned it e.g. here

http://www.jazzwax.com/2008/09/interview-ben-1.html

from a quick online search, it doesn't look like it...

the only line-up of the jackson band that I can find right now is the first session here:

http://www.feeeez.net/johnnycoles/discography.htm

johnny coles, jymie merritt, golson, dameron (and at some other point also philly joe jones...)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...