Rooster, back in the saddle again!! <smile>

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom,

I feel so horrible about missing this thread. I haven't been able to really spend much time on the net lately.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. You have always been a standup guy in your posts (to me or anyone else). I hope you don't mind if I keep you in my prayers.

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say "HI!!" - and thanks, again, for all your messages of support.

My wife and I got back home (to Kansas City) late last week, and we've been trying to get back in the swing of things this weekend, after having been gone for two weeks.

I'm calling my Dad every two or three days, and he seems to be doing pretty well. He has updates for me about what he's thinking about for "dinner" for the next couple days, and he's doing laundry by himself for almost the first time in his whole life. But he's a very resourceful guy (he was a mechanical engineer, by profession), so he's always been good at figuring things out.

I've been lurking on the board, now and then, for about a week - but I really haven't been in the mood to jump back into things just yet. It's not that I'm in a big depression or anything -- it's just that I'm naturally stepping back, and taking stock in things. As many of you know, I'm in the process of changing careers, and job-hunting, so my mom's unexpected passing just further highlights the "crossroads" I find myself at in life.

Anyway, I didn't want you all to worry about me. My wife and I, and my Dad -- are all doing fine. Through a combination of "sick leave" and "bereavement", plus a day or two of "vacation" leave, my wife was able to spend the entire two weeks with my Dad and me in St. Louis, as we went through the events outlined in my posts in this thread. Fortunately, my wife knew my mom for 6 or 7 years, and they were always on great terms. I count myself very lucky that both of my parents lived long enough so that I could have a good, solid decade of time where we were all adults. And in the last 5 years, we had all really grown to enjoy each other’s company, for day-trips, and fairly frequent visits. In short, I was lucky enough to have developed "friendships" with my parents -- which is a place I certainly hadn't expected to be, after the typical turmoil of my high school and college years.

Well, again, thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement. I'll probably be on the board this week a bit more, though I have a mountain of things to try to get done this week, including finishing a handful of job applications for positions that were announced in late January -- which I would have preferred to have submitted a week or two ago. (Hopefully a couple of them are still open, and still accepting applications.)

See you all on the board... :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Nice to see you back, Tom.

I believe my own participation here will be curtailed once I get a new job myself. I'm going to a job interview tomorrow morning. I do work now, but there's a lot of free time. This new job will keep me hopping and I won't have as much time to spend over here.