Rooster, back in the saddle again!! <smile>

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update...

It's only a matter of time before my Mom passes away. She's not in any pain, and she is in a deep coma (and has been since the initial event). She lived a relatively long life, and was productive and happy up until the very end -- which is all any of us could ever ask for.

My Dad is holding up great. Things like this are never easy, but he is one of the most "practical" people I've ever known, and -- to some extent -- is a tower of strength. My mom isn't gone yet, but we all realize that in reality, she is gone. The odds of her recovering are 1 in a million -- and being practical people, we do not bet against those kinds of odds. And, we are all comfortable with this too. Some may call this "cold" - but life is what it is, and to call it anything else would be to ignore the facts of the situation.

My Dad is calmly talking about the need to look at selling his and my Mom's house, and moving into an apartment. He's not overly sad about this, or despondent - he's just looking head-long into the future, and not sticking his head in the sand about anything.

We're all remembering all kinds of good things about Mom, and frankly -- about other relatives who are long since gone too, like all of my grandparents. And none of it is being done with any kind of "heavy sadness" - but, rather, with a fondness for those we are remembering.

There are tough moments, here and there -- and there are surely some really tough ones yet to come (probably later this week), but 95% of the time we're all getting on with the business of getting back to normal. Or, rather, getting back to a "new" kind of "normal" - which isn't exactly like the old "normal" -- but also isn't radically different from the old "normal" either.

My Dad's a hell of a guy, and I think he'll probably mostly do just fine in the days, weeks, months, and years to come. Lots of people have very tragic things happen to them years and decades before they reach 69 (my mom's current age), and my parents had 40+ years together, which is something my Dad will always treasure.

I was really close to my Mom, and I know --- as I look back in the future --- that I will be glad that she lived such an incredibly full life, for 69 really GREAT years. We should all be so lucky.

Peace... -- Tom

Tom,

Your mom might be waiting to be let go. My mom was in a coma for a week. The doctors said she was braindead. On Thanksgiving Day, 1997, my father, my eldest sister, me, and my youngest sister all went into her room with her father and brother and my dad took her hand.

And even though the doctors said she couldn't hear us, that she wasn't there, that she was already gone... my dad told her it was ok for her to go. He told her we would all be ok and she could go.

She cried a single tear and then she died. She was just waiting for us to let her know it was ok to go on to the next stage.

If you all have truly made your peace (and it sounds like you have) you might want to take your father and let your mom know that it's ok...

I'm with you, man... it's hard. It will always be hard.

Thanks for your sane words, Tom (and B-3er.) I've never been in the situation so I can only imagine what it must be like.

I also echo a couple of thoughts made by other posters: consider us a support group for sure and thanks for having the courage and confidence for sharing your feelings, Tom.

What b3-er said is very important. My wife is a big believer in giving those so close to you "permission", especially a parent. Your Strength, Love and Warmth are so apparent. Wish you the best.

I can only underline this all - without me giving her permission my mother would not have been able to go in peace.

If you can bear it, try to be with her, talk to her or to her spirit - it will help all of you.

My thoughts are with you, these are trying times.

Rooster - Hope everything resolves itself as positively as possible. A trying time for you and your family no doubt. There's something about a parent falling into harm's way that causes us to confront our own mortality. Nothing about any of this is very pleasant. Keep us posted when you can.

Up over and out.

Holy smokes. At a time like this who knows really what to say. Best wishes to you and your family. You seem to be dealing with things so very well right now and recognize that there are some tough times ahead in the coming days. The strength that you are exhibiting now will no doubt help you all in the days ahead when your impending loss becomes a reality. Try to remember that your feelings and emotions at that time are an expression of the love that you had for her. Let them flow and be there for your dad as the reality hits him. The positive things you have written indicate that you had a great family life. Your mother may not be with you much longer but your memories of her and your family life will be with you for as long as you live. Sounds like you have some great ones and that is truly something to be thankful for.

Just got the word that my mom passed away peacefully about an hour ago. We had all been expecting this for several days, and the news was as much a relief as anything. The family is doing well, and my Dad is doing well too. Probably not much more to say than that.

Thanks to everyone here for the words of encouragement. I hope to be back in Kansas City by the middle of next week, plus or minus. Gotta go, lots to do tomorrow.

Edited by Rooster_Ties