Upcoming Vacation in the Mediterranean

So, on October 31, Ann and I leave on a 50th anniversary trip. We fly to Rome for 3 days/2 nights and then cruise thru the Islands of the Western Mediterranean for a while and end up with 3 days/2 nights in Barcelona before flying home. Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone wants details please email at cnessa@charter.net .

Be very careful of wallets and handbags in Rome. Watch out especially when getting on buses where at crowded stops. Watch out for gangs of small children, often carrying cardboard. Small points maybe but this stuff often happens to people in Rome.

You must see the Vatican, you must of course see the great classical monuments, the Villa Borghese is pretty compulsory, and many people find an interest in visiting one or other of the catacombs. You won't run out of churches and when you visit the famous squares make sure not to miss out Campo dei Fiori. Really for 3 days the guidebook will tell you everything and, while I haven't seen the one for Rome, and while though I travel much I don't do tourism, I have found the small Frommer's day-by-day guides the most succinct and practical.

Rome is not known for eating and the cheaper restaurants are all fair enough but tend to offer the same basic things.

Record stores? Not sure there are any left.

I used to live in Rome and for that reason know almost nothing about it ;)

Oh and Barcelona! Same thing, Frommer's day-by-day, which I did use on the one occasion I visited. Maybe try for 4Cats restaurant where artsy folks used to hang out, now just tourists of course. Be careful of area near waterfront. Oh and if their Spanish sounds weird it is not because they are making mistakes, they are speaking Catalan (I was a bit thrown until I figured this out...). The architecture is of course a must-see.

Here I am in Barcelona with Frommers and uh dictionary. Which I didn't need of course. And yes, I'm in Starbucks. I know, I know...

Here's the restaurant http://4gats.com/en/

post-110-0-33439500-1380271118_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Ayers

Highly recommended Mediterranean islands: Crete and Cyprus. Also Dubrovnik on the Croatian coast!

Place to avoid at all cost: Syria!

Skip the coast of North Africa (beautiful places but not safe enough)

Worth a visit: splendid Sicily, but be even more careful than in Rome and Barcelona!

Barcelona:

- The Sagrada Familia is awe inspiring. You must buy tickets in advance to reserve a time slot, but you can stay as long as you like. Well worth it.

- La Boqueria (the market) is a top destination, just off the Ramblas. There are many delicious food stalls. The seafood one in the back (#220), "Bar Boqueria" is killin'.

Highly recommended Mediterranean islands: Crete and Cyprus. Also Dubrovnik on the Croatian coast!

Yes, Crete can be lovely - especially inland but avoiding the fleshpots of Ag Nik and Chania. The people are great too.

Island hopping off Dubrovnik is also lovely e,g, around Korcula. Must go back there (last time I visited Tito was still in power and all the hotels were state-owned :wacko: ).

Edited by sidewinder

Haven't been to Europe in decades, but take David Ayers' advice about being on guard for theft. My sister had an iPad stolen out of her hotel room in Barcelona last year.

A money belt might not be a bad idea for carrying passports, wallets, etc., on your person at all times.

I guess the best advice is don't take anything with you that you would be upset if it was stolen.

That aside, have a wonderful trip and congrats on your 50th. You're a lucky man.