Howard McGhee West Coast 1945-47 Uptown

thirdtry

The new Uptown CD is coming on May 20th and it looks like it could be a good one:

th_201079973_UPT2774Lg_122_420lo.jpg
Trumpeter Howard McGhee is documented on various radio broadcasts and studio sessions from 1945-1947. Joined by altoist Sonny Criss, tenorist Teddy Edwards, pianist Hampton Hawes, bassist Addison Farmer and drummer Roy Porter. 19 tracks and over 67 minutes of music.
More info will follow shortly I'm sure:
Amazon link:

The new Uptown CD is coming on May 20th and it looks like it could be a good one:

th_201079973_UPT2774Lg_122_420lo.jpg
Trumpeter Howard McGhee is documented on various radio broadcasts and studio sessions from 1945-1947. Joined by altoist Sonny Criss, tenorist Teddy Edwards, pianist Hampton Hawes, bassist Addison Farmer and drummer Roy Porter. 19 tracks and over 67 minutes of music.
More info will follow shortly I'm sure:
Amazon link:

Not wanting to discourage anybody (least of all myself), but following my initial enthusiasm I checked the Uptown website and surprisingly cannot find any trace of any announcement of this forthcoming release there. Where did you get your info, Thirdtry?

$14.43 with domestic shipping seems to be the best price.

This one definitely looks like another winner though I wonder how much is from studio dates (which I presume are all issued and probably exist on CD already?) and radio broadcasts that I presume are truly "new".

Regardless I won't dawdle on this one.

This one definitely looks like another winner though I wonder how much is from studio dates (which I presume are all issued and probably exist on CD already?) and radio broadcasts that I presume are truly "new".

Anybody have any idea if the musicians listed are the better-known names of the collective personnel on this CD or the actual line-up throughout (3 horns + 3 rhythm would make sense but such a stable lineup for studio AND live dates during the entire period??)

The lineup listed earlier only matches one entry in the McGhee discography in Bruyninckx - an AFRS show from the Hi-De-Ho Club in L.A. in March, 1947 (3 tracks previously issued on Jazz Showcase 5005 - "California Boppin"). But how much of a full CD would these 3 tracks account for?

Anyway, none of the "known" (and relatively easily accessible) McGhee studio recordings on Philo, Modern Music, Melodisc and Dial from 1945-47 match the above lineup (Roy Porter and Teddy Edwards crop up most frequently) so this leaves you wondering what else there might be in "new" studio recordings or what the actual studio lineup is or if the studio recordings included are either oft-reissued tracks or alternates of those known items. I'll keep my fingers crossed there actually ARE new discoveries. AFAIK so far similar Uptown releases from the bebop era always have included a lot or even a majority of music never heard before, so ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Anybody have any idea if the musicians listed are the better-known names of the collective personnel on this CD or the actual line-up throughout (3 horns + 3 rhythm would make sense but such a stable lineup for studio AND live dates during the entire period??)

The lineup listed earlier only matches one entry in the McGhee discography in Bruyninckx - an AFRS show from the Hi-De-Ho Club in L.A. in March, 1947 (3 tracks previously issued on Jazz Showcase 5005 - "California Boppin"). But how much of a full CD would these 3 tracks account for?

Anyway, none of the "known" (and relatively easily accessible) McGhee studio recordings on Philo, Modern Music, Melodisc and Dial from 1945-47 match the above lineup (Roy Porter and Teddy Edwards crop up most frequently) so this leaves you wondering what else there might be in "new" studio recordings or what the actual studio lineup is or if the studio recordings included are either oft-reissued tracks or alternates of those known items. I'll keep my fingers crossed there actually ARE new discoveries. AFAIK so far similar Uptown releases from the bebop era always have included a lot or even a majority of music never heard before, so ...

Good questions. McGhee used the rhythm section of Hampton Hawes, Addison Farmer, and Roy Porter in 1947. That was the rhythm section for the Hi-Di-Ho gig with Charlie Parker that is on the Benededi Box. I rather doubt that McGhee made recordings with this rhythm section dating back to 1945. Since there are tracks on this disc of that vintage, I would assume that the answer to your first question is "no." This rhythm section probably does not play on all of the tracks.

I also hope that there are some new recordings on this disc, maybe more live dates with Sonny Criss?

Well I don't know what this has to do with this release but I stumbled across this Fresh Sounds release:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/steady_with_teddy_1946-1948-cd-2877.html

I can't seem to copy and paste but check out the first four tunes listed - I wonder if these are on the Uptown release.

Edited by Dan Gould

It is possible that this release does contain Maggie's Dial recordings. That is the most likely source / origin of the four tracks Dan linked to on this Fresh Sounds release.

I have these tracks in the collection of Dial recordings issued as TRUMPET AT TEMPO by the Jazz Classics label. I presume it was a legitimate release (I am also assuming it is OOP, as is their Dodo Marmarosa collection), as it contains a slew of alternate takes.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/trumpet-at-tempo-mw0000091020

Edited by Joe

PERSONNEL, LOCATION & DATES:

- HOWARD McGHEE / 1945 RADIO BROADCAST

01. Intro / Night Mist (Theme)

02. A Night in Tunisia

03. Rockin' Chair

HOWARD McGHEE, trumpet

TEDDY EDWARDS, tenor sax

J.D. KING, tenor sax

VERNON BIDDLE,piano

BOB KESTERSON,bass

ROY POTTER, drums

MONETTE MOORE, vocals on track 3

Streets of Paris, Hollywood, December 21, 1945.

- HOLLYWOOD FOUR BLAZES 7 1945 RADIO BROADCAST

04. Dark Eyes

05. Don't Blame Me

ULYSSES LIVINGSTON, guitar

GEORGE CRAWFORD, piano

LAGRAND MASON, bass

DAN GRISSON, drums, vocal on track 5

Streets of Paris, Hollywood, December 21, 1945.

- HOWARD McGHEE / 1945 RADIO BROADCAST

06. Howard's Blues

07. Killin' Jive

08. The Man I Love

HOWARD McGHEE, trumpet

TEDDY EDWARDS, tenor sax

J.D. KING, tenor sax

VERNON BIDDLE,piano

BOB KESTERSON,bass

ROY POTTER, drums

MONETTE MOORE, vocals on track 7

- HOWARD McGHEE / 1945 PHILO RECORDINGS SESSION