baritone sax

Milestones

Gil Melle. He sure sounded like no other bari player. And he also is the man who brought Rudy Van Gelder and Alfred Lion together:

Man, how could I forget. The Blue Note set is one of the first things if grab in a fire. Love that music to death.

Also, nice to see the discussion of Sinton earlier on. He's a quiet guy (literally) who doesn't record all that much. But he's got one of the clearest, sharpest improvising minds around. I think he's one of the greatest living improvisers under 50. His playing simply blows me away on both baritone and bass clarinet.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles Tyler.

charlestyler_sagaoftheoutlaws_cm.jpg

Extraordinary sustained intensity and creativity - it would be unbelievable, except here it is, you can hear it. Tyler almost always tore like a tyger into themes (and he burned bright).

One of the most distinctive jazz sounds ever was Sun Ra's Arkestra when he had 2 baritonists, Pat Patrick and Charles Davis. Later, in the eras of free jazz, Patrick alone lent a wonderful and crucial weight to Ra's various Arkestras.

Ok, I was just goofin' about Lars Gullin - BUT - I can't say that I've ever heard anything by him that strikes me as too much more than a really fine improvisor, but more or less strictly of his time and place, kinda like Gerry Mulligan minus the unattractive American-ness..and kinda like Lee Konitz minus the attractive American-ness.

Gullin advocates, give me something musical to think about, please, but not too much, please.

Who was the guy who played bari with Ozzie Nelson?

Tate Houston! Not with Ozzie Nelson, but still, bari palyer! And Trevor Koehler! Sad story, but also, still, bari player!

But who was the guy with Ozzie Nelson? He was no Jack Washington, that's for sure, so let's hear some love for Jack Washington?

Tate Houston, yup ... the BN album with Curtis Fuller was probably where I first really heard him.

MI0001657191.jpg

Played some of "The Arrival of KD" last night, and I guess you're onto something there, Jim! Was too tired to really listen, but will repeat that soon! Sometimes you need some kind of a nudge to really hop onto stuff and dig it.

Re: Gullin, I guess Big Beat Steve might be well-equipped to give some specific recommendations.

That THING band sounds pretty damn good to me, but I find that I enjoy that type of expression more either playing it or hearing it live than I do just sitting here staring at a monitor or staring into space listening to a record player. It's like, there's no such thing as partial absorption of this type of energy, it either goes right into you or else it goes right around you, it's not an energy that will entertain the notion of partial engagement.

Jack Washington, hello!

I agree with you on that. I can definitely get more into the outer limits of Jazz in a live setting. But watching/listening to this video just doesn't work for me. Above, someone referred to Gustafssom's playing as a "bayonet charge". Um, I never, ever want to face a bayonet charge. I definitely would not enjoy that at all. :)

I played a steady theater gig for a couple of years with Charlie Fowlkes.

The cat never said a word; just downed a bottle a night and played his part.

Joe Temperley used to sub sometimes; completely opposite personality. Loved his accent.

I saw both those guys a very long time ago. Joe Temperley was in the first jazz band I saw - in 1957 at the age of 17 - led by the grand old man of British jazz, Humphrey Lyttelton. Lyttelton had rebelled against the current British fashion for trad/dixieland and had added a three-man sax section with Tony Coe on alto, Jimmy Skidmore on tenor and Temperley on baritone. Two years later, not long after the recording of The Atomic Mr Basie, I sat on the front row of the Free Trade Hall, Manchester right in front of the Basie sax section of Marshall Royal, Frank Wess, Lockjaw Davis(?), Frank Foster and Charlie Fowlkes. Charlie was a heavily built guy who looked like he was bursting out of his pants! The music was fantastic!

I unaccountably forgot Gil Melle as well. One of my favorites, especially once he hooked up with the still mind-bogglingly Modern-with-a-capital-M Joe Cinderella.

Also in the Sun Ra orbit, Pat Patrick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax-gi9wvUdo

Fred Ho arguably made more significant contributions as a bandleader, composer, arranger and activist in the music, but he was no slouch as a player by any means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonRiTLRlGs

Hello Ronnie Cuber with Hamp in 1965, neither distrust in nor misunderstanding of the mission at hand: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15164_flying-home-hampton-lionel-1965_music

And I thought I had heard bari until hearing Hog with Buster Smith.

Ho YUSS!

Just had a quick look on YouTube for Cuber playing 'Slide's blues' from Slide Hampton's 'Explosion' (1962) but no one's been kind enough to put it there.

And goodness! I forgot Hog, too!

MG

Ok, I was just goofin' about Lars Gullin - BUT - I can't say that I've ever heard anything by him that strikes me as too much more than a really fine improvisor, but more or less strictly of his time and place, kinda like Gerry Mulligan minus the unattractive American-ness..and kinda like Lee Konitz minus the attractive American-ness.

Gullin advocates, give me something musical to think about, please, but not too much, please.

I like his playing with Archie Shepp on that Dragon LP they recorded together (1963, released in the '80s). There's a nice live date on Columbia from '69 with Bernt Rosengren's band, aptly titled Live!. It's got a tougher and rather jovial feel, not surprisingly.

I played a steady theater gig for a couple of years with Charlie Fowlkes.

The cat never said a word; just downed a bottle a night and played his part.

Joe Temperley used to sub sometimes; completely opposite personality. Loved his accent.

I saw both those guys a very long time ago. Joe Temperley was in the first jazz band I saw - in 1957 at the age of 17 - led by the grand old man of British jazz, Humphrey Lyttelton. Lyttelton had rebelled against the current British fashion for trad/dixieland and had added a three-man sax section with Tony Coe on alto, Jimmy Skidmore on tenor and Temperley on baritone. Two years later, not long after the recording of The Atomic Mr Basie, I sat on the front row of the Free Trade Hall, Manchester right in front of the Basie sax section of Marshall Royal, Frank Wess, Lockjaw Davis(?), Frank Foster and Charlie Fowlkes. Charlie was a heavily built guy who looked like he was bursting out of his pants! The music was fantastic!

I'm almost done "Bathed In Lightning", Johnny Mac's bio, and one Bari player who is consistently mentioned is Glenn Hughes.

Back when Brian Auger only played jazz piano, he used Hughes in one of his groups, and described him as better than Pepper Adams or Serge Chaloff.

unfortunately, he died at an early age.

Did he record anything as a leader, or are there any records that feature him as a sideman?

That THING band sounds pretty damn good to me, but I find that I enjoy that type of expression more either playing it or hearing it live than I do just sitting here staring at a monitor or staring into space listening to a record player. It's like, there's no such thing as partial absorption of this type of energy, it either goes right into you or else it goes right around you, it's not an energy that will entertain the notion of partial engagement.

Jack Washington, hello!

As you say, this sort of stuff - even moreso than a less intense music - is far better live for sure. Also as you've said this is NOT background music. It takes and demands full attention and even a commitment from the listener - maybe even far ahead of the moment or time that it "works" for the listener.

I've never listened to this stuff at less than 100% attention or less than at high volume.