Mosaic plans Beehive box

brownie

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Bee Hive box set will be at a "special price." What that price is, I just don't know. But the reason for a single 12-CD set, rather than two 6-CD sets, was that the producers felt that people would tend to purchase the volume with the titles that are considered widely popular (Johnny Hartman) and not pick up the volume that include lesser-known, yet still very worthy, artists (Dick Katz). When I said to Michael Cuscuna that I didn't know how I could carry a heavy 12-CD box set up a flight of stairs, he replied, "We'll release a special version on 78 RPM records, just for you."

Both the Salvadors are fine straight ahead sessions.

I had the Starfingers LP and remember being disappointed with Salvador's playing on it, but enjoying all the sidemen on the date.

He sounded sloppy and got an annoying, overly treble sound, but the sidemen sounded fine.

At least back in the 50s and 60s, he was an excellent technician, but lacked the swing

, creativity and subtlety of Raney, Farlow, Bean, Garcia, Kessel, Ellis, Bauer, etc...

On Starfingers, even the great technique was lacking. I was discouraged from getting "Juicy Lucy" because of Starfingers, and the horrible fusion LP he made "Crystal Image" (OSLT) made me give up on Sal altogether.

Edited by sgcim

• 1 month later...

Pretty definite that I will end up ordering this set.  Pre-ordering?  Not necessarily.  It may make more sense to wait for a discount on shipping, since it can definitely add up.

And maybe I can hold off until the exchange rate is a bit better.  Right now it is brutal, but it may not get better for quite some time...

Pretty definite that I will end up ordering this set.  Pre-ordering?  Not necessarily.  It may make more sense to wait for a discount on shipping, since it can definitely add up.

And maybe I can hold off until the exchange rate is a bit better.  Right now it is brutal, but it may not get better for quite some time...

Yeah, tell me about it (the exchange rate that is). :o  There are four Mosaic must-have sets on my list and this is one of them. None of them are running low and I'll have to wait a bit before getting any of them.