Almonds better than Peanuts?

My brother and his girlfriend tried to convince me that almonds are some sort of extra-special nut, much healthier than peanuts (not that I've over indulged in peanuts anyway).

So is there any truth to this?

Not really. According to livestrong.com, there's an almost equal amount of macronutrients in both nuts. "A 1-ounce serving of dry-roasted almonds has 170 calories, 6 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber. The same portion of peanuts contains 166 calories, about 7 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber." Also, "the difference in fat content is minimal." In the end, it largely depends on what type of nutrients you're looking for. "Almonds are the nut to choose if you need to boost your intake of antioxidant vitamin E. ...On the other hand, peanuts are better sources of the B vitamins, especially folate and niacin."

A peanut is not a nut.

It's a legume (I think).

correct

I read in the paper not too many months ago that scientists consider peanuts to be a bean rather than a nut. My first thought was that apparently the term "tree nut" used by the food companies is redundant, if that's the right word - that all nuts are tree nuts.