Overlooked pianists

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gene diNovi: jammed with Bird on 52nd Street at age 15, recorded with Lester on Aladdin in '47, was with Fats and Wardell on Goodman's "Stealin' Apples" date ... and that's just for starters.  He's been living in Toronto for many years ... now in his mid-eighties and still playing!

Q

Schroeder. If there was ever a pianistic equivalent of feeding the masses with a loaf of bread and a box of fish, it was him.

Where is the love, people?

SCHULZ1.gif

Gene diNovi: jammed with Bird on 52nd Street at age 15, recorded with Lester on Aladdin in '47, was with Fats and Wardell on Goodman's "Stealin' Apples" date ... and that's just for starters.  He's been living in Toronto for many years ... now in his mid-eighties and still playing!

Q

I've got this one - only one I know besides the sideman recordings you mention:

MI0002767171.jpg

Stanley Cowell.

Still active and his new album "Juneteenth" just got a nice mini-review in the NY Times.

Pleased he's still active. Saw him a looong time ago - with Max Roach in the 60s and Woody Shaw in the 70s.

I'm jealous - have never seen him.

I REALLY would have liked to see the Strata East reunion in London earlier this year!
STRATA EAST LIVE SOUNDS SUBLIME AT BARBICAN 

Cowell and Tolliver are clearly long-term associates. They were both in that Roach group I saw in the late 60s - along with Odean Pope and Jymie Merritt. 

To turn the clock forward a good deal, Harper and McBee from the Strata East gig also toured with The Cookers which I saw at The Sage, Gateshead in April.

Dailey's "The Day After the Dawn" I tried to track down. It's unavailable from Amazon and few other sites I checked.

I do have Daily on Art Farmer's "The Time and the Place." I bought mainly because I thought it was the album from 1967 with Jimmy Heath on the recording. It turned out to be a completely different recording. It is the Mosaic single. I am glad it was not the one I thought. It is real good.

MI0000862272.jpg

definitely ....

No love for Hasaan here?

There's a thread somewhere ... honestly with the one record around, I find it hard to judge ... it's an exciting enough album, but how much of it is Hasaan's doing? To me it sounds very much like a group effort, with Roach and his longtime sidekick Art Davis (speak about overlooked bass players!) "embedding" and carrying whatever comes from the piano. If you hear a certain ambivalence about Hasaan between the lines, you're quite right - I sort of gave up judging him on the meagre basis we have, but I judge the album alright, and I enjoy hearing it once in a while, but wouldn't exactly call it a masterpiece.

The thread:

No love for Hasaan here?

There's a thread somewhere ... honestly with the one record around, I find it hard to judge ... it's an exciting enough album, but how much of it is Hasaan's doing? To me it sounds very much like a group effort, with Roach and his longtime sidekick Art Davis (speak about overlooked bass players!) "embedding" and carrying whatever comes from the piano. If you hear a certain ambivalence about Hasaan between the lines, you're quite right - I sort of gave up judging him on the meagre basis we have, but I judge the album alright, and I enjoy hearing it once in a while, but wouldn't exactly call it a masterpiece.

The thread:

oh yes !!!

Stanley Cowell.

Still active and his new album "Juneteenth" just got a nice mini-review in the NY Times.

Pleased he's still active. Saw him a looong time ago - with Max Roach in the 60s and Woody Shaw in the 70s.

I REALLY would have liked to see the Strata East reunion in London earlier this year!

Cowell and Tolliver are clearly long-term associates. They were both in that Roach group I saw in the late 60s - along with Odean Pope and Jymie Merritt. 

To turn the clock forward a good deal, Harper and McBee from the Strata East gig also toured with The Cookers which I saw at The Sage, Gateshead in April.

Wouldn't have been Pope in that Roach group.  He was still here in Philly playing with Catalyst.  Pope and Tyrone Brown (who belongs on the list of overlooked bass players) from Catalyst ended up with Roach a couple of decades later.  Cecil Bridgewater completed the 80's Roach quartet.  Gary Bartz was on the Roach album with Tolliver/Cowell/Merritt.

Odean did a documented stint with Max in 1967, Tolliver & Cowell were both on the band.

http://www.concertvault.com/max-roach-quintet/newport-jazz-festival-july-02-1967.html

http://www.jazzdisco.org/max-roach/discography/

Vi Redd With Max Roach Quintet

Charles Tolliver (trumpet) Vi Redd (alto saxophone, vocals) Odean Pope (tenor saxophone) Stanley Cowell (piano) Jymie Merritt (bass) Max Roach (drums)

London, England, circa September 24-30, 1967
 unknown titlesCrescent unissued

Also, wikipedia, fwiw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odean_Pope 

He played briefly in the 1960s with Jimmy McGriff, and late in the 1960s he began working with Max Roach, including on tours of Europe in 1967-68.

Stanley Cowell.

Wouldn't have been Pope in that Roach group.  He was still here in Philly playing with Catalyst.  Pope and Tyrone Brown (who belongs on the list of overlooked bass players) from Catalyst ended up with Roach a couple of decades later.  Cecil Bridgewater completed the 80's Roach quartet.  Gary Bartz was on the Roach album with Tolliver/Cowell/Merritt.

It certainly was Pope. Roach made a point of drawing attention to what he called the "old English names" of his group, suggesting a complicity in slavery on the part of the English audience.

There we go, thanks dudes. Ventured a guess of accuracy but didn't feel like going down the rabbit hole of TRUTH at the moment. 

I get the impression that there were "open lines of communication" between NYC & Philly back in the day...people knew who was doing what where, and when. Might be a tangential (or stronger) correlation to NOI activities of the time adding to that, can't/won't claim any hard knowledge of that one way or the other. 

What it's like now, no idea.

Stanley Cowell.

It was very good and great to see Cowell in the flesh

Stanley Cowell.

It was very good and great to see Cowell in the flesh

Stanley Cowell just played a week at the Village Vanguard. Along with his new CD, he has a book he was selling. He only brought a few copies and I wasn't able to get a copy.

Charles Thomas

He is a Memphis legend who had a major influence on Mulgrew Miller, James Williams and Donald Brown. Thomas  has three excellent trio CDs out on the French - Space Time label -that are well worth acquiring.

Cecilia Coleman

Michael Weiss

We all know Michael Weiss. He should be recorded more for sure. :)