Overlooked pianists

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Hampton Hawes is overlooked (doesn't seem that way to me, but he's been mentioned) then he deserves to be on the list.  Another one that I don't think of as overlooked is Herbie Nichols.  

A pianist I do think of as overlooked and underrated is Dodo Marmarosa.  

Re: Albert Dailey, one that I like a lot is "Poetry", a duo album with Stan Getz:

MI0002005302.jpg

(reissued "domestically" as part of that one [?] batch of Elektra albums Blue Note did - a couple of albums by Michel Petrucciani, the Bird in Washington disc ...)

And of course the first name to popped up in my head was: Eddie Costa - love his playing, wish there was more of it to be heard ... not sure about "overlooked", guess it all depends on how you define that. What about Herbie Nichols? Joe Albany, Dodo Marmarosa, George Wallington ... and yeah, Al Haig, too! And Carl Perkins!

For Albert Dailey, I remember liking this one a lot:

796116.jpg

He's also very good on this one:

Buddy-De-Franco-Mr-Lucky-403148.jpg

"Overlooked" is always subjective.  Jazz as a whole is more often than not "overlooked" by popular culture today.  Within jazz, certain genres/players seem to get short shrift even from most jazz fans.  So it's possible that some of the following are overlooked by some otherwise knowledgeable jazz fans:

Don Ewell

Jane Jarvis

Eddie Higgins

Dick Wellstood

Ted Rosenthal

Bill Mays

Dave Frishberg (overlooked as a pianist, not as a singer/songwriter)

Bob Dorough (ditto)

Jon Jang

Tee Carson

Butch Thompson

Mike Melvoin

Sonny Bravo

Dick Katz and Anthony Davis also come to mind. The former for his versatility and taste; the latter for being a somewhat forgotten innovator. His early India Navigation recordings are among the more important piano dates of the late 70s / early 80s, IMHO.

Don Friedman -- definitely.

Here are some very good ones, but I don't know of a Friedman recording that is less than that (too bad "Thingin'" with Konitz [the leader] and Zoller is 
OOP and pricey, but it seems to be there as MP3 files):

http://www.amazon.com/Metamorphosis-Don-Friedman/dp/B00000FXOG/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1436972925&sr=1-2&keywords=don+friedman

http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Waltz-Don-Friedman/dp/B000000ZAN/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1436972925&sr=1-3&keywords=don+friedman

http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Things-Don-Trio-Friedman/dp/B0002VERRE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1436972925&sr=1-1&keywords=don+friedman

http://www.amazon.com/Thingin-Konitz-Friedman-Attila-Zoller/dp/B00YBL0FGS/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1436973085&sr=1-3&keywords=don+friedman+lee+konitz

Thanks Larry. I'll check 'em out!

Yes indeed on "Metamorphosis" and on "Thingin'"! There's another very good early one pairing Friedman with Attila Zoller released under the guitarist's name, "The Horizon Beyond" (Mercury, rec. 1965, CD reissue on ACT, probably quite OOP).

Other good ones include "Invitation" (Progressive, 1978) in trio, the solo "I Hear a Rhapsody" (Stash, 1984), the trio "Almost Everything" (Steeplechase, 1995) or the more recent solo album "From A to Z" (ACT, 2005), which is an hommage to Attila Zoller. If you want to hear him in a band with horns, go for "Hot Pepper and Knepper" (Progressive, 1978) in quintet with Pepper Adams and Jimmy Knepper.

I guess as a general recommendation I would just say: don't stay away from later recordings, don't restrict yourself on the early ones just becasue they're on Riverside and look like "classics" - he became better later on! But the two with Zoller (there's a third, "Dreams and Explorations", I think the one recorded first of the three, not half bad either) are indeed very good!

I've not heard "My Favorite Things" yet, guess I'll have to get more Don Friedman anyway, sooner or later ...

Here are some very good ones, but I don't know of a Friedman recording that is less than that (too bad "Thingin'" with Konitz [the leader] and Zoller is 

http://www.amazon.com/Metamorphosis-Don-Friedman/dp/B00000FXOG/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1436972925&sr=1-2&keywords=don+friedman

http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Waltz-Don-Friedman/dp/B000000ZAN/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1436972925&sr=1-3&keywords=don+friedman

http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Things-Don-Trio-Friedman/dp/B0002VERRE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1436972925&sr=1-1&keywords=don+friedman

http://www.amazon.com/Thingin-Konitz-Friedman-Attila-Zoller/dp/B00YBL0FGS/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1436973085&sr=1-3&keywords=don+friedman+lee+konitz

Yes indeed on "Metamorphosis" and on "Thingin'"! There's another very good early one pairing Friedman with Attila Zoller released under the guitarist's name, "The Horizon Beyond" (Mercury, rec. 1965, CD reissue on ACT, probably quite OOP).

Other good ones include "Invitation" (Progressive, 1978) in trio, the solo "I Hear a Rhapsody" (Stash, 1984), the trio "Almost Everything" (Steeplechase, 1995) or the more recent solo album "From A to Z" (ACT, 2005), which is an hommage to Attila Zoller. If you want to hear him in a band with horns, go for "Hot Pepper and Knepper" (Progressive, 1978) in quintet with Pepper Adams and Jimmy Knepper.

I guess as a general recommendation I would just say: don't stay away from later recordings, don't restrict yourself on the early ones just becasue they're on Riverside and look like "classics" - he became better later on! But the two with Zoller (there's a third, "Dreams and Explorations", I think the one recorded first of the three, not half bad either) are indeed very good!

I've not heard "My Favorite Things" yet, guess I'll have to get more Don Friedman anyway, sooner or later ...

Yes, Friedman got better over the years, or at least different. The early "Circle Waltz" is for some the epitome of modal foo-foo, but for me its genuineness is seductive and moving; Friedman really felt this music.

Edited by Larry Kart

Thanks, ubu! More to explore... :)

Dick Katz and Anthony Davis also come to mind. The former for his versatility and taste; the latter for being a somewhat forgotten innovator. His early India Navigation recordings are among the more important piano dates of the late 70s / early 80s, IMHO.

Joe, I'm not very familiar with Katz, but I agree 100% re: Anthony Davis.  I particularly dig his collaborations with James Newton.

I don't know if it's in print these days, but there's a duet CD by Don Friedman with Don Thompson on bass that's a good one.  (Full Disclosure:  I recorded it.)  It comes from two concert evenings in Ontario, and finds two top-rank players who enjoyed working with each other, challenging a bit, co-operating a lot.  "Opus D'Amour" Sackville SKCD2-3058, April 12, 13, 1992.

As has been said, overlooked is very subjective. Many of those mentioned already are not pianists I would consider overlooked within the jazz world. Pianists like Hampton Hawes, Carl Perkins and Martial Solal (for example) have been referred to frequently and with very positive reactions over many years.

It is difficult for me to think of Don Friedman (no relation) as overlooked. He has recorded a very large number of albums as leader and also as a sideman.

In my view, Albert Dailey does qualify. His Steeplechase session is, to my knowledge, the only one he did as leader.

Two that I perceive to be overlooked are Hugh Lawson. He played and recorded with Yusef Lateef and has a couple of recordings as leader.

Another is Barry Keiner. Barry was a marvelous jazz pianist who died very young. He made a couple of recordings as leader that were released on LP, but never reissued on CD. Barry had a lengthy gig at a club in Rochester, NY and spent a good amount of time on the Buddy Rich Band.

As has been said, overlooked is very subjective. Many of those mentioned already are not pianists I would consider overlooked within the jazz world. Pianists like Hampton Hawes, Carl Perkins and Martial Solal (for example) have been referred to frequently and with very positive reactions over many years.

It is difficult for me to think of Don Friedman (no relation) as overlooked. He has recorded a very large number of albums as leader and also as a sideman.

In my view, Albert Dailey does qualify. His Steeplechase session is, to my knowledge, the only one he did as leader.

Two that I perceive to be overlooked are Hugh Lawson. He played and recorded with Yusef Lateef and has a couple of recordings as leader.

Another is Barry Keiner. Barry was a marvelous jazz pianist who died very young. He made a couple of recordings as leader that were released on LP, but never reissued on CD. Barry had a lengthy gig at a club in Rochester, NY and spent a good amount of time on the Buddy Rich Band.

Peter,

Albert Daily had a few albums as leader.  Here's one:

R-3060577-1379750967-4979.jpeg.jpg

Here's another one (previously mentioned):

71gbXY87ViL._SL500_SY355_.gif

Dailey's "The Day After the Dawn" I tried to track down. It's unavailable from Amazon and few other sites I checked.

I do have Daily on Art Farmer's "The Time and the Place." I bought mainly because I thought it was the album from 1967 with Jimmy Heath on the recording. It turned out to be a completely different recording. It is the Mosaic single. I am glad it was not the one I thought. It is real good.

MI0000862272.jpg

How 'bout King Fleming?

Another fine Chicago stylist. I've heard MISTY NIGHT but not his other Argo dates, including the one with a young Malachi Favors. Definitely a "touch" player. Maybe Ahmad Jamal-like, but definitely had his own thing.

I've liked the Eric Watson recordings I've heard: with -- respectively -- John Lindberg, Bennie Wallace and Steve Lacy. Definitely Waldron-inspired, but with his own thing, too.

Among contemporary players, I find Simon Nabatov's music consistently intriguing. Sometimes too much technique, but, if you've not heard his version of the Herbie Nichols songbook... recommended.

Stanley Cowell.

Still active and his new album "Juneteenth" just got a nice mini-review in the NY Times.

Pleased he's still active. Saw him a looong time ago - with Max Roach in the 60s and Woody Shaw in the 70s.

I'm jealous - have never seen him.

I REALLY would have liked to see the Strata East reunion in London earlier this year!
STRATA EAST LIVE SOUNDS SUBLIME AT BARBICAN 

#1 on my list is Nate Morgan. Joe Bonner for sure.  Albert Dailey. Ronnie Mathews.  Harold Mabern.  Rahn Burton.  Valdo Williams is a very good name - I have that Savoy CD, and it's pretty great.   Local Philly guy named Sid Simmons.  James Williams.  Michael Cochrane.  Marian McPartland (more underrated than overlooked).  Toshiko Akiyoshi.  Marc Cary.  Hugh Lawson.  Kirk Lightsey.  Walter Norris.  Junko Onishi. Curtis Clark.

Edited by felser