• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

H0098-L128680844.jpg

H0098-L128680842.jpg

Estimate: $8,000 - $12,000
Description: Contemporary figural sculpture of Miles Davis during his 'electric' period, executed in polychrome bronze, the figure dressed in an elabroate red and blue band leader's jacket with an upright collar and tails, the front decorated with faux embroidered swags and buttons, Miles looking down while holding his trumpet in one hand, the whole rising on an incorporated bronze pedestal, artist signed 'A. Matthews' at end of figure's jacket at proper right, 67.5"h x 24"w x 25"d, 14" diameter of base.

• 5 years later...
45 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Music | Darius Jones

Darius Jones' albums covers are all fairly awfull IMHO, too bad because I like his playing

I really like them! 

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I want to see those five people who bought this.

s-l1600 FireShot Capture 012 - John Coltrane T Shirt Jazz Hard Bop Saxophone Blue Note Atlantic - eB_ - www.ebay.com

Extremely clever and subtle visual puns aside, what is going to happen to that train? 

On 6/4/2017 at 3:07 PM, Hardbopjazz said:

440px-Charlie_Parker_Story_Throne.jpg

This cover is so bad that it has a weird nightmarish memorability. There aren't many contemporaneous bop comps that reach those heights.

17 hours ago, bresna said:

I was not a big fan of the cover art for the 4 CDs of the Coltrane "Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings".

Secondary, 14 of 27

Secondary, 19 of 27

And I really disliked the "frog" cover for the Ben Webster Verve two-fer "Ballads".

Primary

I agree with you about the art for the Coltrane Vanguard set.  It has always bothered me, especially this one: 

colt.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

He's laying down a "Blue Train" - which is a lot hipper (not to mention subtle) than the people who misname the album as Blue Trane.

I could see it if he was emitting the train, but the train is running into his horn. 

18 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I could see it if he was emitting the train, but the train is running into his horn. 

So it would be perfectly acceptable art if they only had the train running the other way ...  OK I can agree it would be better that way.  But I still like the subtlety of it and can only assume they are playing off of "Blue Train".

Edit to add: I took my glasses off and can make out Blue Train under his name. So they just messed up on the train direction.

Edited by Dan Gould