• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

51R4e1qSYyL._UX250_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg.webp

Can you please post details? I can't find it anywhere .....

p.s. found a track list on amazon - his Swingville LP mixed with several older tracks. Have 'em all. Nagel Heyer going the bootleg route.

Edited by mikeweil

13 hours ago, scooter_phx said:

Charlie Parker - CHARLIE PARKER - INTEGRALE VOL 5 - FA1335 - Frémeaux & Associés.Charlie Parker - CHARLIE PARKER - INTEGRALE VOL 5 - FA1335 - Frémeaux & Associés.

Listening to CD3... mother's milk to me.

Interesting choices on that collection. It seems that the first two tracks on CD 1  are from Verve, the rest of CD 1 and 2 is mostly Savoy tracks. But else than others I couldn´t enjoy so many alternative tracks and only short excerps. My "mother milk" was the "Savoy Mastertakes" double Album with all the Savoy recordings, but only the takes that were on record. 
The rest must be those Savoys titled "Bird Live at the Roost". I have a compilation of all the Roost tracks from 1948/49. I´m sure you agree that this is some of the very very best Bird, since it is live and not as short as the studio tracks and you hear Miles or KD on trumpet and Al Haig on piano, so it´s not like those Benedetti recordings where all the fellow musicians were cut out. 
The Metronome Stars I think that was for the Victor label, strange I have it on a Dizzy Gillespie compilation and again on a CD called "Bird and Lennie Tristano" . 

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

More music from the Keystone Korner in 1981:

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

I must have this ! 
I have a Freddie Hubbard live at "Onkel Pö" in Hamburg from about the same time, I think it also has Billy Childs on piano, who is a fantastic keyboarder of the post Hancock period. I first heard him on J.J. Johnson - Nat Adderly from Yokohama 1977, and on other records from the late 70´s early 80´s. 

And Joe Henderson , Bobby Hutcherson, so this is a dream team, like one of those huge BN-revivals they did in Japonia , were they reunited leading stars from the BN-Era. I never heard about the bass player and the drummer, so I hope the drummer is tops, since that´s were things start for me. 

On 5/16/2023 at 12:20 AM, scooter_phx said:

Roland Kirk - We Free Kings (2013, 180 Gram, Vinyl) | Discogs

👍😁

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

41W0ogDirIL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Stan Getz - My Old Flame (Concord, 2 CDs)
Disc 1 - originally released as The Dolphin

A reissue of two top-shelf Getz albums recorded at the Keystone Korner in 1981 -- with Lou Levy, Monty Budwig, and Victor Lewis

😁👍 What is the other LP? (Concord??) Have the "Dolphin" on vinyl.

Thanks

R-7335032-1527413549-1138.jpg.ea62550de840f6b80c0eeed9259ae51d.jpg

Kat-Tet - Women

One of a number of excellent fusion or jazz-adjacent records from the French Caribbean that I have found recently through Discogs' recommended function.

Islands like Guadalupe and their Paris-centred emigre networks seemed to have been awash with talent in the early 1980s. 

For whatever reason they don't seem to have attracted the attention of English speaking jazz fans yet, unless I have missed something. They all have great covers (not so much this one) so would make for perfect Instagram clout posting.

Edited by Rabshakeh

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Interesting choices on that collection. It seems that the first two tracks on CD 1  are from Verve, the rest of CD 1 and 2 is mostly Savoy tracks. But else than others I couldn´t enjoy so many alternative tracks and only short excerps. My "mother milk" was the "Savoy Mastertakes" double Album with all the Savoy recordings, but only the takes that were on record. 
The rest must be those Savoys titled "Bird Live at the Roost". I have a compilation of all the Roost tracks from 1948/49. I´m sure you agree that this is some of the very very best Bird, since it is live and not as short as the studio tracks and you hear Miles or KD on trumpet and Al Haig on piano, so it´s not like those Benedetti recordings where all the fellow musicians were cut out. 
The Metronome Stars I think that was for the Victor label, strange I have it on a Dizzy Gillespie compilation and again on a CD called "Bird and Lennie Tristano" . 

I love all of the Savoys as well.  I believe there are 13 3-disc sets to this.  It says it's the complete CP but I don't think that's quite correct.  The ones I have are basically in good sound (considering the sources, of course).  Not a huge fan of the Benedetti recordings but they do have their place in jazz folklore.  That disc was just a nice escape from the Monday afternoon blues... 

Complete discography:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/BirdDisco.aspx?id=ParkerFA05

Edited by scooter_phx

44 minutes ago, scooter_phx said:

I love all of the Savoys as well.  I believe there are 13 3-disc sets to this.  It says it's the complete CP but I don't think that's quite correct.  The ones I have are basically in good sound (considering the sources, of course).  Not a huge fan of the Benedetti recordings but they do have their place in jazz folklore.  That disc was just a nice escape from the Monday afternoon blues... 

Complete discography:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/BirdDisco.aspx?id=ParkerFA05

Monday afternoon blues ? So bad ?

Maybe I´m one of the few persons who love Mondays. I love my job though it´s demanding, but can´t await to see on Monday what´s new, what kinda channenge will be, strange but it´s exactly that way in my case. 

58 minutes ago, BillF said:

il_1080xN.3926683096_8pxv.jpg

I think Wardell Gray´s discography is quite thin, I have under his own name two Prestige albums. The only annoying thing is all those alternate takes on the earliest session. 
I further have what I think is a Xanadu live session with Art Farmer and Hampton Hawes, that´s fantastic playing, only I would have liked to hear another drummer than Shelly Manne....

The very very best Wardell Gray I ever heard is as a sideman on the Charlie Parker album "The Happy Bird". He plays very long and fantastic solos there on I think "Scrapple", on "Lullaby in Rhythm" and "April".