Fantasy (Records) for sale?

jazzbo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does thi smean no more resissues ever???? trhis suckjs. that uis funny CCR is the reason fantasy bought prestige.  that is all ccr are good for.  haha

bullshit. creedence is the best american singles band that ever was.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Seconded (the :tup I mean... ;))

I purchased Centerfield when it was new. I have all the Creedence output on CD. I never heard the Zans Can't Dance story till I read it on these boards. Not that I'm doubting it... I just never heard it before. I suppose I didn't know what was going on.

Again, it's amazing what you can learn on this bulletin board.

What exactly defines an American Singles band?

This arose from a discussion I had with some of the locals at a popular used cd shop in Boston (Looney Tunes) last year. The criteria for nominees were 1) it had to be a band, not a solo act (singer plus whoever); 2) it had to be an american outfit (that disqualified the beatles, stones, etc.); and 3) the largest number of great single song releases (and that eliminated nominees that recorded your favorite album). needless to say, these criteria were set just for the sake of this discussion. no prejudice was implied against those who didn't fall within that category.

I'll admit, CCR didin't immediately come to my mind. But after someone said it and we bantered back and forth, the consensus was that CCR ruled in this domain. Want proof, how about: Bad Moon Rising, Down On The Corner, Fortunate Son, Green River, Proud Mary, Long As I Can See The Light, Lookin' Out My Back Door, Run Through The Jungle, Travelin' Band, Up Around The Bend, Who'll Stop The Rain, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Hey Tonight, Sweet Hitch-Hiker, Someday Never Comes, I Heard It Through The Grapevine... I'm sure others can name a few more of their favorites. BTW, I think Cosmos's Factory is one of the ten best american rock albums of the 70's, although this is probably a more contestable opinion. ^_^

Edited by jazzshrink

When I saw Jazzshrink's comment I was in total agreement. In fact, you might add another qualifier, that of best American singles band over the briefest time period. Their string of hit records only stretched about 2, 2 1/2 years, and its pretty amazing when you consider how many of them there were.

It will be sold for the CCR recordings and the films (if included).

Buy what you NEED soon.

My sentiments exactly. I'm going to thumb through the catalog when I get home tonight and circle everything I've wanted but put off buying... This doesn't bode well at all. Also remember that Fantasy owns their own warehouse, which is a big reason (so I've been told) why they've been able to keep almost everything in-print for so long. An unusual situation that will likely not be replicated in the event of new ownership.

Damn, if only Mosaic had the major capital to pick them up...

Don't forget that they're on Emusic too, and that could change (though perhaps not if Concord were the buyer).

I downloaded several hundred Fantasy catalog titles when Emusic offered unlimited downloads.

Concord is still owned Alliance Entertainment, or no?

--eric

The sentiment seems to be buy what you need now because you might not be able to get it after the sale. I guess my question (and maybe I'm just thick about this) is why is that the prevailing sentiment? I mean I'm not saying it couldn't happen but why do the experts here think that happen.

I'm not quite in RUN! RUN OUT AND BUY! mode just yet (I couldn't buy much anyhow), but watching record companies for years and years do the same stupid things, and not do very obvious things that might sell a few records, and inventing all-new dumb things to do . . .

Some companies have pretty good catalog management policies. Others suck big time.

So, depending on who buys . . . well, you just never know.

--eric

Throughout most of its history, a majority of classic jazz has been out of print. In 1976, about ten years after its release, Larry Young's Unity LP was a priced rarity. Those of us who have observed the scene for many years are quite impressed, nearly shocked, at how well Fantasy has been doing at keeping things in print. Blue Note does not do nearly as well, but may enhance the collectability of their products through such policies, and encourage the buy-it-while-you-see-it mindset. Verve is sitting on thousands of hours of prime American musical tradition which has very little chance of getting back in print under their stewardship.

I'd like to see the Smithsonian get a hold of the Fantasy jazz catalog, either keeping it in print through on-demand CDRs or making it available for download.

Edited by randyhersom

I'd like to see the Smithsonian get a hold of the Fantasy jazz catalog, either keeping it in print through on-demand CDRs or making it available for download.

A good idea. I'd like to see the same.

However, we'll have to follow the money trail to see where the Fantasy Jazz catalog goes. It will go to he who has the most cash. Which may or may not be appreciated by the lovers of jazz.

Edited by wesbed

The sentiment seems to be buy what you need now because you might not be able to get it after the sale. I guess my question (and maybe I'm just thick about this) is why is that the prevailing sentiment? I mean I'm not saying it couldn't happen but why do the experts here think that happen.

Just general pessimism, I guess, but look at it this way: there's no way the availability of these titles is going to improve.