R.I.P. Cyril

I don't know how many of you remember Cyril. She used to post from the Netherlands and.was an active member on the forum till October 2018. She had over 10000 posts at the time. I just happened to run across a post on facebook last night that she had passed last friday.  She was only 40 or so apparently. A serious jazz devotee. One of her favorites was Eric Dolphy among many others. She really knew her stuff and was not a casual enthusiast. We've kept touch over the years and the last few years on Facebook. She was a good spirit who truely loved jazz . I will miss our communications.  Just thought folks here might want to know.

Edited by Tom 1960

23 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

Whoa, that's bad and sad news. Do you have a link to the Facebook post? 

Hans, search Cyrille Stephan on Facebook and that should link you to her homepage. A friend of hers makes mention of her passing.

Edited by Tom 1960

27 minutes ago, Tom 1960 said:

Hans, search Cyrille Stephan on Facebook and that should link you to her homepage. A friend of hers makes mention of her passing.

Thanks Tom, found her homepage, but didn't see any mention; maybe it can only be seen by Facebook friends of hers.

6 minutes ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Fuck. I only spoke with her on the 9th of March. She had Pneumonia and was going to the hospital. I'm really sad by this news. 

40 and dead of pneumonia--I have to wonder if her death might be connected to COVID-19.  There are more and more reports of it being potentially fatal for some under 50 as well.

3 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

40 and dead of pneumonia--I have to wonder if her death might be connected to COVID-19.  There are more and more reports of it being potentially fatal for some under 50 as well.

According to a friend he emphasized it was NOT Corona or COVID-19.  Pneumonia.  

14 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

Thanks Tom, found her homepage, but didn't see any mention; maybe it can only be seen by Facebook friends of hers.

Most likely. I posted a tribute to her on my Facebook homepage. 

Edited by Tom 1960

1 minute ago, Tom 1960 said:

According to a friend he emphasized it was NOT Corona.  Pneumonia.  

But pneumonia is an outcome of COVID-19 for a number of patients, isn't it?  Sorry, not trying to sensationalize her passing by potentially tying it to the current health crisis--and I know pneumonia can kill people at any age.  Tragically young age for anybody to die from anything.  I do remember her contributions to the board.. thank you for letting us know.

From her Facebook page.

Heel droevig nieuws, ik lees nu dat Facebook contact Cyrille Stephan is overleden. Ik heb haar nooit ontmoet, wist zelfs niet hoe zij er uitzag. We werden jaren geleden FB vrienden omdat we beiden fan van drummer Pierre Courbois waren. Een FB maatje gek van jazz, zoveel heb ik er niet. In de loop der jaren ging zij ook muziekstijlen waarderen waar ik mee bezig ben, waar zij aanvankelijk niets van moest hebben. Toch bijzonder hoe je iemand alleen virtueel kent en toch verbondenheid kan voelen door een gemeenschappelijke passie. Ik wist dat haar gezondheid niet goed was maar dit had ik totaal niet verwacht. Rust zacht Cyrille, het is vast swingtime in heaven.

Very sad news, I now read that Facebook contact Cyrille Stephan passed away. I never met her, didn't even know what she looked like. We became FB friends years ago because we were both fans of drummer Pierre Courbois. An FB buddy crazy about jazz, I don't have that many. Over the years, she also started to appreciate music styles that I am working on, which she initially did not like. Still special how you only know someone virtually and still feel connected through a common passion. I knew that her health was not good, but I did not expect this at all. Rest in peace Cyrille, it must be swingtime in
 heaven.

Helaas moet ik jullie melden dat een goede Facebook vriendin,
Cyrille Stephan, afgelopen vrijdag om 07:30 overleden is ten gevolge van een longontsteking. (GEEN Corona virus!!!)
RIP Cyrille, je hield zo waanzinnig veel van Jazz en je wist er ook heel veel over, vol met passie poste je allerlei dingen over de Jazz muziekanten, hun muziek, hun overlijdings berichten, van overal ter wereld, en maakte je deel uit van hun netwerk. Heel veel sterkte en courage voor haar man Maxim,
die zo vriendelijk was om mij persoonlijk in te lichten. Dank u!

Edited by Hardbopjazz

2 minutes ago, Hardbopjazz said:

She had had pneumonia a number of times in the past she told me.   

Thanks and apologies for bringing COVID-19 into the discussion.  Speculation withdrawn! Just worried for younger friends because the early wave of info made it seem as if they had nothing to worry about in terms of potential fatality, and that seems to not so much be the case anymore.

a facebook contact Cyrille Stephan passed away last Friday. We shared (since 2014) a lot about photography, she had many jazz contacts at home and abroad and shared her opinion about the Royal House, politics (wrote for the Republican Society) and social themes ... a beautiful one nice person went .. RIP Cyrille Stephan!

Didn't know her and unfortunately don't remember her posts (haven't visited this board very often since I quit as a mod years ago), but this is all very sad and disturbing, someone dying so young. Somehow it feels like losing a friend.

Thanks for posting the Dutch message (now deleted).

Edited by J.A.W.

I'm glad to see many of you guys remember Cyrille. When I read the news last night my reaction to it was like a punch to the gut. It made me very sad. We always had very pleasant conversations from time to time. A few months back she congratulated me via text on my retirement from the postal service. It meant alot to me. She died too damn young and I will miss our communications. 

3 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

I'm glad to see many of you guys remember Cyrille. When I read the news last night my reaction to it was like a punch to the gut. It made me very sad. We always had very pleasant conversations from time to time. A few months back she congratulated me via text on my retirement from the postal service. It meant alot to me. She died too damn young and I will miss our communications. 

Beautiful statement. 

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• 1 month later...