What do you think of jazz with strings?

Hardbopjazz

There was a period when recording jazz soloists with string backgrounds enjoyed popularity. Some--the purists, I suppose--thought it was a sacrilege, but all you have to do is listen to Bird's "April in Paris." A great recording by any standard. Many musicianswanted to record with strings--it came to symbolize success, in a way. Of course it also broadened the market, but I don't think that was the main consideration.

I have'nt heard many jazz albums with strings-mostly Ogerman arrangements-but the ones that I have heard I've liked. Whether or not this concept works in any given case I think would depend as much on the arranger as it would in the group and the leader of a paticular date. I don't know if an arranger is faced with extra challenges within a jazz framework but if they are the ones that I have heard have responded very well and needless to say so have the groups and their leaders.

Listening to jazz with strings is always a refreshing experience. From the various 'with string' albums I've heard, the claim that musicians were watering down their music/playing is just bull.

Hawk in Paris and C.P with Strings are a few favourites.

I think in smaller doses, strings are good. As Chris A. points out, there are a handful of jazz with strings recordings that are classics in every sense of the word. What I find amusing are the liner notes that almost always accompany recordings within this genre. Invariably, whomever pens the notes goes out of their way to differentiate the recording at hand from the hoards of jazz with strings efforts that feature overblown, maudlin, cloying or pretentious string arrangments. So endemic is this kind of commentary, that one wonders where the "with strings" CD's are that are truly rotten or if. in fact, any really exist.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

those "with strings CD's that are truly rotten" are all over the place. You just wouldn't think of them as jazz, but more as of novelty items. It's like organ jazz, where you find the same thing in the liners, which makes you wonder "where's the BAD organ jazz? I sure didn't hear it!" But there again, the "rotten" stuff is not found in the jazz bin. It's those records that show a Clayderman kinda guy at the hammond on the cover.

What makes it acceptable for me is the quality of the arrangements. A good arranger will not try to write for strings in such a way that they are required to swing (like extended eighth note lines), because they can't.

The exceptions are some of the classic string projects (like the Bird and Clifford, for example). The arrangements (IMHO) are for the most part pretty bland and "pop"-ish (I'm sorry, but even Neal Hefti can be pretty square sometimes) but these sides work because of the playing of Bird and Clifford. Otherwise I think I'd go into hyperglycemic shock!

I thought the arrangements on Focus were outstanding. I also like Johnny Mandel's arrangements on Shirley Horn's Here's to Life, which seems to get mixed reviews. I like Symbols Of Light, the Osby side discussed in another thread.

Speaking of strings, I heard the San Francisco symphony last night and they played a John Adams piece called "My Father Knew Charles Ives". I thought it was outstanding! This was more interesting than any of his works I'd heard before.

Many musicianswanted to record with strings--it came to symbolize success, in a way.

Chris, I can't remember if it was the interview with you, or the other audio interview, where Prez said he wanted to record with strings, but Granz wasn't interested.

I generally find string dates disappointing, but there are some very notable exceptions:

Getz -Focus

Clifford Brown with Strings - very nice Neal Hefti charts

The Warm Moods of Ben Webster - this is a bit different as it's only a string quartet, but Johnny Richards' charts really swing. I think some of the Webster recordings with Ralph Burns string charts are good too. Ben's sound was definitely suited to the treatment.

And several sessions on this compilation:

d298687sgme.jpg

The Konitz session with Bill Russo charts is really excellent, as is Giuffre's third-stream writing on his own orchestral sessions.

Edited by Pete C

If you get good players playing good charts, you'll almost always get good music, no matter what the instrumentation.

Of course, when it comes to string dates, that's easier said than done, but it's a lot easier now than it was back in the day. Writers and players have both gotten hipper to the trip.

But I love me some good string writing.

sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes both or neither. Seriously, i think we had a long and informative thread on this v. subject not too long ago; perhaps some kind soul could link it?

jazz"withstrings"

Is it just me, or was Artie Shaw one of the most successful bandleaders at integrating strings into a jazz ensemble? I love the 1941-42 band, and right now I'm finally enjoying his Hep CD IN THE BEGINNING, which features his 1936 band that was augmented by a string quartet. On the Shaw sides, the strings rarely, if ever, seem to overpower either the band or the soloists--they enhance rather than distract, at least for me.

Flip Phillips' "Try a Little Tenderness" (Chiaroscuro), from the early '90s with subtle Dick Hyman charts and recorded by RVG, is one of the tastiest with strings dates I know. As explained in the notes, one of the reasons it works so well is that Phillips and Hyman got together several months before and taped piano-tenor duo versions of the tunes, then Hyman wrote his charts based on the moves that Flip was inclined to make. If you've never heard Flip on ballads, he was a marvelous soulful "singer," in the Webster tradition but with his own accent.

Speaking of strings, I heard the San Francisco symphony last night and they played a John Adams piece called "My Father Knew Charles Ives". I thought it was outstanding! This was more interesting than any of his works I'd heard before.

I heard the San Francisco Symphony perform that in Prague last year. Do you know if it's available on cd? And BTW I think the only 2 "with strings" jazz reocdings I really like are Focus and Chet Baker with Strings. I also like the strings side of The Genius of Ray Charles if that counts as jazz.