COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2021 at 0:58 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

I believe I’ll be at the Jazz Gallery this spring at full capacity. Missed Henry Threadgill this month as I just didn’t feel like it’s the right time. I think the evidence of the lesser severity is clear. What is not known if it’s 30 or 50 or even 70 to 90% less severe. Vaccinated and vaccinated & boosted people are still simply not ending up in hospitals at anything other than very very old or immunocompromised. That was mostly the case with delta. With omicron it will be even less / how much less as a percentage of cases is the question. Check the numbers in England 10 days from now and here in the States in a month. 

I’ll be at the Jazz Gallery on Saturday full capacity.

• 4 weeks later...

Working from home today as my boss informed me that he tested positive yesterday and we had met yesterday afternoon for a bit in his office without masks albeit at a good distance (~8 feet). Tested negative today. Hopefully negative tomorrow too.

I was supposed to meet a friend I haven't seen in almost 3 years due to Covid and now we had to cancel. He flies back to CA Friday. Covid still sucks.

Over here it’s just the old and vulnerable who are scheduled for a booster at this time. The rest of us later this year I guess.

Last time I was in the office there were a number off sick with covid. Fortunately, I can limit my exposure.

Edited by sidewinder

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Over here it’s just the old and vulnerable who are scheduled for a booster at this time. The rest of us later this year I guess.

Last time I was in the office there were a number off sick with covid. Fortunately, I can limit my exposure.

Covid cases amongst clients, staff and volunteers the highest it's been at my work at the moment. Marked increase in the last month or so. My contact is luckily almost entirely phone based.

COVID infections at my workplace are very, very high for almost 2 months now. Every week, every class got two or three students infected. Every week, one or two colleagues are at home in isolation because they are infected. At my gym, everyone seam to have got it already. In the meanwhile my parents in law got infected, my brother in law, my sister plus her whole family and my brother plus his whole family. All in the last two months. 

Its weird how this new variant gives a new meaning to COVID. Where at first I almost panicked with every case in my surroundings, it’s really getting part of daily life now. Not that I am  underestimating it now, definitely not. By you’re sort of getting used to it…

Edited by Pim

3 hours ago, Pim said:

COVID infections at my workplace are very, very high for almost 2 months now. Every week, every class got two or three students infected. Every week, one or two colleagues are at home in isolation because they are infected. At my gym, everyone seam to have got it already. In the meanwhile my parents in law got infected, my brother in law, my sister plus her whole family and my brother plus his whole family. All in the last two months. 

Its weird how this new variant gives a new meaning to COVID. Where at first I almost panicked with every case in my surroundings, it’s really getting part of daily life now. Not that I am  underestimating it now, definitely not. By you’re sort of getting used to it…

This is going to be our life for the foreseeable future and your gradual change in mindset strikes me as pretty normal. Going forward, vaccinated adults (and kids) will mostly experience COVID as a nuisance similar to other respiratory illnesses we periodically get from time to time, whereas unvaccinated adults will be rolling the dice with a potentially very serious illness.

• 1 month later...

Well, two years and just over two months in and I've got it -- mild case, slept all day yesterday, but it's certainly here. My wife brought it home as a present from a wedding she attended. I only saw her for about six hours last week as once she returned I had to travel (within the state) for work; felt a little off on Thursday but by Friday I was definitely unwell and tested positive. Mostly just dealing with fatigue and occasional bouts of light congestion; had a mild fever but that seems to have abated. She had congestion Thursday/Friday, which is still lingering, and currently no taste or smell. But all in all it could be much, much worse. 

So one of the fallouts from the COVID pandemic is the shortage of semiconductor devices. It's causing shortages for everything from washing machines to cars. Car companies are reporting down sales and they are pinning it on low inventories. Guess what? They are lying. Their sales are down because they are gouging the heck out of their customers.

For example, I got an E-mail from Toyota telling me about their new EV, the bZ4X. I went to their website and "built" a fully loaded car. It came up as $51,550, which is more than I want to pay but I figured I'd see what they offer. They called me back and said that they have the car I want coming in but in red (not my favorite color at all). I asked how much... $63,000! Screw that! I ain't paying that markup. No wonder everyone is buying Teslas. They put the price right on the website and that's what you pay.

It's COVID's fault... No, Toyota, it's greed.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

hope you're better !

I am much better now. I was really sick for a short time... maybe a day and a half? Then I had (have?) a nagging cough. The cough was from a cold I got about 3 weeks before COVID, so I don't think it's been made any worse because of it. I'm very glad I got vaccinated because I would've hated for that day & a half to stretch out longer.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I am much better now. I was really sick for a short time... maybe a day and a half? Then I had (have?) a nagging cough. The cough was from a cold I got about 3 weeks before COVID, so I don't think it's been made any worse because of it. I'm very glad I got vaccinated because I would've hated for that day & a half to stretch out longer.

Just went through it myself.  I am 60, double vaxed and double boosted.  A little disorientation and cough for a couple days.  Ten days post first symptoms and aside from being a little sleepier than normal, all things feel normal.  Gives me a real appreciation for how lucky/fortunate I am to contract under these circumstances.