Mosaic to release 1960s Freddie Hubbard set

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

No doubt mine is currently stuck in the Netherlands ! ;)

They used to ship to Greece via Netherlands and it took 10-15 days to reach me. Since summer they changed to DHL, and it takes only 1-2 days and it goes via Milano. Fastest service ever. And lowest numer ever for me. 124.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 4:25 PM, tranemonk said:

Does anyone have an update on the JATP set that was rumored to be released in December?

On 12/6/2022 at 7:30 PM, thirdtry said:

I'd like to know that too.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what is all going to be on the JATP set.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to have received this set from my wife Kelly for Christmas.  We celebrated Christmas today (12/26) as driving bans subsequent to the massive blizzard that hit the Buffalo area prevented one of my sons - who lives near me - from being at my house yesterday.  Ironically, it was my son who lives in the Hudson Valley area who was able to be with us.  But he just arrived on Thursday before the blizzard hit the area and has been snowed in ever since.  Anyways, things are getting back to normal and today's the day I received this set.

I'm listening to it now and it sounds terrific.  I have much of the stuff on the set, but have not listened to it for a while.  As such, I'm really digging the music AND the sound.  Can't wait to play it at full volume as right now, I'm in my basement and it's to late to play it at an optimal volume.  My set number is 1491, if than means anything to anyone.

Back to listening...

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2022 at 11:42 AM, mjzee said:

Ordered.  I'm looking forward to it.  I wonder if Blumenthal's notes will address why Hubbard did side projects for Impulse.

I miss Mosaic Selects.  A perfect one would have been Hubbard on Atlantic.  5 or 6 albums: Backlash, High Blues Pressure, A Soul Experiment, The Black Angel, Sing Me A Song Of Songmy, and maybe Sweet Return.

You and me both. I actually really liked the series because it was a much more affordable way to learn about a new artist

10 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

do we really need another Hubbard project? The guy plays like a cold-fish.

Give me Woody Shaw, Lee Morgan, Randy Sandke, Frank Lacy.

You know it’s already been issued, right?

3 hours ago, tranemonk said:

You and me both. I actually really liked the series because it was a much more affordable way to learn about a new artist

And you could store them on your shelves.  I also liked them quite a bit, have kept many more of them (about half of what they issued) than of the big boxes (I have kept maybe a dozen of them).  Especially thankful for the John Handy Select and the Charles Tolliver Selects.

On 5/10/2024 at 7:27 PM, Brad said:

You know it’s already been issued, right?

no I don't keep up. I always found Hubbard to have absorbed the worst lessons of the post-Clifford Brown/Lee Morgan school. Obviously he was a great player but there is just no nuance in his tone.

Hubbard was never universally loved, and if I'm honest with myself I understand why.

But if the detractors are being equally honest...there were times when he a total badass.

Still not interested in this set, for the same reasons given earlier, but I still have some really good Freddie at my disposal.

On CD shelving. They fit.

And I store the Big Boxes on LP shelving. They fit.

So, no difference between Selects & Big Boxes in terms of where you can store them. They all go on the shelves.

Ron Carter on facebook on Freddie Hubbard:

Ron Carter. Another #FlashbackFriday this week brings us to May of 1970, when my longtime musical collaborator Freddie Hubbard released his famous album Red Clay.

The album featured Yours Truly, alongside such talents as Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, The Lenny White, and for the 6th track only, Stanley Turrentine, Johnny "Hammond" Smith, George Benson, Billy Cobham, and Airto Moreira.

Freddie was a good friend of mine, and I thought the world of him as a musician. I heard Freddie play stuff that was so far off the trumpet it just astounded me.