Mosaic to release 1960s Freddie Hubbard set

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

My Freddie box arrived today.  Great presentation, as usual.  The front cover photo is very striking - he looks so young!  Very cool suit too - look at those sleeve cuffs!  I'm looking forward to listening to it.  My box is 82/5000.

Jeez... they really are shipping these quick... I really hope this isn't going to be another set that's gone within a month... I would really like to wait and get the JATP first then the Freddie (maybe)....

On 9/20/2022 at 5:05 PM, Eric said:

Received mine sans booklet.  No. 1/5000.

Wow! No.1.  That has to be like winning the lottery.  My #34 is the lowest Mosaic I own.

Booklet is very impressive with lots of great photography.  Through CD 1 and SQ is quite impressive as well.

10 hours ago, 2scoops said:

Is it not the book that contains the number as in previous boxes? If not, where is the number printed?

Sorry, that was an attempt at humor, no booklet, so of course booklet no. 1 😎

15 hours ago, hbbfam said:

Wow! No.1.  That has to be like winning the lottery.  My #34 is the lowest Mosaic I own.

Booklet is very impressive with lots of great photography.  Through CD 1 and SQ is quite impressive as well.

Sorry for the the mis-information.  Attempt at humor.  They are sending me a booklet, the set was shipped without one.  

Edited by Eric

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

The attention paid to the number might be silly, but I believe Mosaic Selects would have sold better if they were numbered.  Human nature.

All the Selects in my collection are numbered.

Oops - I see the Carter / Bradford set isn't numbered.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

42 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Two-thirds (6 of 9) of the Selects I own are numbered. I thought it'd depend on the MS- number of the series (early MS- being numbered), but not strictly: Andrew Hill (MS-14) isn't numbered while Charles Tolliver (MS-20) is.

MS-14 is Dexter Gordon. MS-16 is Andrew Hill and mine is No. 0517.

Sorry, I mistyped (edited above). My MS-14 Dexter is numbered, MS-16 Hill not. MS-20 Tolliver numbered, later MS- unnumbered.

So maybe they pressed some extra Hills? Or just forgot to number some of the release. I don't really care, never paid much attention to the issue.

Edited by T.D.

The Freddie set is now in stock at JazzMessengers. Just ordered it. They are also re-stocked with the Black and White set so have gone with that one too, whilst it is still around.

The Hubbard set price in Euros is pretty steep though. I guess the big currency drop against the $ must be hitting hard.

Now that I have retired I have plenty of Mosaic quality listening time in hand. :)

17 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The Freddie set is now in stock at JazzMessengers. Just ordered it. They are also re-stocked with the Black and White set so have gone with that one too, whilst it is still around.

The Hubbard set price in Euros is pretty steep though. I guess the big currency drop against the $ must be hitting hard.

Now that I have retired I have plenty of Mosaic quality listening time in hand. :)

I ordered the B&W set directly from Mosaic and it turned out to be far more expensive with shipping, VAT and all that than when I had ordered it from Jazz Messengers. 

I also calculated what direct import of the Hubbard set would cost compared to Jazz Messengers' price, and that also turned out to be much more expensive.

Great to hear about the improved sound, the sound of the Mobley (the brief time I had it before, you know by now) and the Henderson sound great, but still passing on this because, I have the Impulses on SACD, two of the Blue Note's on SACD and the Open Sesame Audiowave XRCD. There's other music I could be checking out from living artists and a lot of stuff I'd rather hear before stuff I've already heard a bunch.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:52 PM, JSngry said:

Past that, other than Ready For Freddie, I think Freddie was far more effective as a sideman than as a leader until CTI more or less showed him that people liked it when he did that. Then, for better and/or worse, he stopped diddling around as a leader 

Bonus points for Breaking Point, but the story about that band playing that music live and clearing the house in one set and Freddie pulling the plug on THAT right then and there speaks volumes, imo  I think to be a real leader, you have to defy people to not like you, not hope that they will like you. Courage of your convictions, maybe? 

A great player though, undoubtedly. But these records are not really the meat of his legacy, imo 

Freddie Hubbard is one of my very favorite trumpet players but I tend to agree with that.  These are not the records I usually reach for when I am in the mood for Freddie.   I do quite like Open Sesame but I tend to think of that as a Tina Brooks record in disguise. 

Edited by John L

I'm sort of the opposite. I agree that in general I like Freddie more as a sideman but when I want to hear a Freddie as a leader album I'd reach for a Blue Note or one of the two Impulses more than those of any other label or time. This is a great set in part to have all the sessions in uniform excellent mastering, and I was able to help my best bud with four titles that he didn't have from duplicates this set caused me to have.