Helping Mosaic by Suggesting Artists and Sets, Part Deux

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

How about a Max Roach on Impulse Box Set?  A lot of this material seems to be out of print.  Too late for the Max Roach Centennial but still!

Roach recorded only two LPs as a leader for the label, and no sideman dates!

NC5qcGVn.jpegNi03MzI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I like Benny Carter.  Seems like his currently available discography is sort of falling into disrepair.  He had his own orchestra at times. There are a few euro-compilations of his stuff, some individual albums, the Chronological Classics...  I wonder if there isn't a Mosaic set or two worth doing in there?

On 2/3/2024 at 8:28 AM, Stompin at the Savoy said:

I like Benny Carter.  Seems like his currently available discography is sort of falling into disrepair.  He had his own orchestra at times. There are a few euro-compilations of his stuff, some individual albums, the Chronological Classics...  I wonder if there isn't a Mosaic set or two worth doing in there?

I'd buy that! But I'd like to see a Lionel Hampton Decca/MGM 40s set first!

3 hours ago, dougcrates said:

A Clifford Jordan Muse set would also be welcomed.  It could contain Night of the Mark VII, Remembering Me-Me, Inward Fire, The Adventurer and the two A Night at Boomers volumes released under Cedar Walton's name.

Yes, and also adding this would be nice, though not as vital as the titles you listed:

image.jpeg.cfdb8618f5c34c92abfaa8297305529e.jpeg

3 hours ago, dougcrates said:

A Clifford Jordan Muse set would also be welcomed.  It could contain Night of the Mark VII, Remembering Me-Me, Inward Fire, The Adventurer and the two A Night at Boomers volumes released under Cedar Walton's name.

Yeah!  Great idea!  :tup

6 minutes ago, felser said:

Yes, and also adding this would be nice, though not as vital as the titles you listed:

image.jpeg.cfdb8618f5c34c92abfaa8297305529e.jpeg

Absolutely.  Include that one too!   :)

On the Muse trail ... how about the complete Bill Hardman, Mickey Tucker and Junior Cook sessions.  Lots of cross-pollination there.  With the exception of the Cook on 32 Jazz., none of this has been digitized.  Delightful stuff.

2 hours ago, Eric said:

On the Muse trail ... how about the complete Bill Hardman, Mickey Tucker and Junior Cook sessions.  Lots of cross-pollination there.  With the exception of the Cook on 32 Jazz., none of this has been digitized.  Delightful stuff.

I'm in for it.

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Oh yeah!  :tup 

And if not Mosaic, someone needs to mine the Muse catalog!

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

32 Jazz got started on it 

Quite poorly in some cases, better in others.  Their one Carlos Garnett reissue was a 40 minute compilation with 30% of that taken by "Taurus Woman".   Their only Charles Earland releases were compilations which cherry-picked criminally missing 70's dates, etc.  And their artwork on their releases was often atrocious.  They desecrated Woody Shaw's greatest work.  But they did get things like Roy Brooks' 'The Free Slave' back in print.  But the original Muse CD's, when available, are always preferable.

image.jpeg.d724633e7fbd1df1b0435103780a4fad.jpeg

image.jpeg.bd20287e7c42ac0c118b601f3f6846b2.jpeg

image.jpeg.185828f0cdc882b4795c60bf60a5f8f4.jpeg

image.jpeg.834162276218e2ef805f731b5b849a90.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Great recordings but aren't these pretty easily available? Not exactly archival if the definition is "not recent".

Having them in one place, in great sound, prompts a reassessment and perhaps renewed respect for an under appreciated jazz master (and his sidemen, such as Steve Nelson).  Also, not sure how readily available many of the titles are currently.  Finally, many of these dates were recorded at Rudy's, so they're sure to sound great.

29 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Having them in one place, in great sound, prompts a reassessment and perhaps renewed respect for an under appreciated jazz master (and his sidemen, such as Steve Nelson).  Also, not sure how readily available many of the titles are currently.  Finally, many of these dates were recorded at Rudy's, so they're sure to sound great.

JazzDepot.com which is the label's direct sale website lists 10 releases and I think that is all of them. So ... pretty readily available if not necessarily at a discount.

55 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

JazzDepot.com which is the label's direct sale website lists 10 releases and I think that is all of them. So ... pretty readily available if not necessarily at a discount.

The Joe Henderson Blue Notes are all readily available, yet they were collected in a Mosaic box.  

Mosaic's website states: "But when you consider how much was happening from 1963 to 1966, the years covered by this collection, and contemplate how many different looks he provided through that time period, you can’t ignore his significance as a saxophonist and as someone central to the music’s development."  In other words, the box prompts a reassessment.

And going back to "readily available," Amazon has the following only available through third-party vendors:  Chillin, Keep The Spirits Singing, Davey Blue, The Gift, Song For The New Man, I Remember Brother Ray, and Life.

Finally, should Mosaic take my suggestion and issue a Fathead box, you don't have to buy it.  Others will.

18 minutes ago, mjzee said:

The Joe Henderson Blue Notes are all readily available, yet they were collected in a Mosaic box.  

Mosaic's website states: "But when you consider how much was happening from 1963 to 1966, the years covered by this collection, and contemplate how many different looks he provided through that time period, you can’t ignore his significance as a saxophonist and as someone central to the music’s development."  In other words, the box prompts a reassessment.

And going back to "readily available," Amazon has the following only available through third-party vendors:  Chillin, Keep The Spirits Singing, Davey Blue, The Gift, Song For The New Man, I Remember Brother Ray, and Life.

Finally, should Mosaic take my suggestion and issue a Fathead box, you don't have to buy it.  Others will.

Considering that Mosaic has never done anything close to a set that involves music released as recently as 2009 I won't hold my breath for the opportunity to decline a purchase.

Nevertheless I thank you very kindly for leading me to check out discogs and the discovery of something by Fathead that I am definitely on the hunt for now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 9:18 PM, Justin V said:

I suggested a complete set of Grant Green's Club Mozambique material, as that single disc is so damn funky.  Unfortunately, they only had a bunch of rough mixes and not the complete set of tapes and Bob Belden selected the best takes.  I confess that I'd still love to hear whatever they have, though.

You can get that now through Third Man. 

There’s been a little but not a lot of discussion about the Muse catalogue (around 500 records) which is owned by Craft through their acquisition of Savoy in 2017, which acquired it from 32 Jazz in 2002. Craft has done nothing with it and when I asked about it those marketing fools don’t know what I’m talking about. I talked to Scott but it’s not on their radar.

I think it’s “criminal” that, aside from 32 Jazz and the Shaw Mosaic, nothing has been done with this humongous catalogue  

I peppered him with emails to get them to at least think about something.  However, I think it’s better to talk to Michael about this than Scott. Can someone send me his email. Initially, I don’t expect a different result but you have to keep at it with them as I’m sure they receive a lot of suggestions.