Jazz Times -- no white writers admitted now? per Nate Chinen

On 4/25/2023 at 9:55 AM, Dan Gould said:

Why would the co-writer of "It's Raining Men" even get booked on her show? I never knew him to have any yearning for playing jazz or being inspired by it though I guess there was some incipient threat of it if Dave had to tell him not to play that style.

IIRC, he is on Howard Johnson's Gravity!!! album.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'm more of a Night Music fan myself. That was some shit. I was a little young to understand jazz but thought the eclecticism of the program was very interesting.

You'd need to go to England to have programs like this on national TV. The American tv-watching public's intellect level has taken a deep dive in the last 30 years. 

• 1 month later...

https://petapixel.com/2023/06/21/four-months-of-chaos-the-bewildering-story-of-bebop-and-madavor-media/

Interesting. Not a particularly neutral article. It is hard to tell what precisely is going on in the lawsuit (a transfer of assets pre completion and even pre due diligence is not that normal, but perhaps the allegation is that bad faith due diligence requests were being used as a way to obtain confidential information. If so, that doesn’t really come out) and I think the idea that BeBop is suing on this failed sale as a money making scheme due to pending debts on the acquisition is a little far-fetched.

My key takeaway is the debt heavy structure of the original acquisition of jazz times along with the rest of the portfolio, combined with wider closures and run downs of all titles.

Either way, the whole thing feels pretty grim, both the structure of the purchase, the consequences, and BeBop’s attempt to frame its actions.

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

https://petapixel.com/2023/06/21/four-months-of-chaos-the-bewildering-story-of-bebop-and-madavor-media/

Interesting. Not a particularly neutral article. It is hard to tell what precisely is going on in the lawsuit (a transfer of assets pre completion and even pre due diligence is not that normal, but perhaps the allegation is that bad faith due diligence requests were being used as a way to obtain confidential information. If so, that doesn’t really come out) and I think the idea that BeBop is suing on this failed sale as a money making scheme due to pending debts on the acquisition is a little far-fetched.

My key takeaway is the debt heavy structure of the original acquisition of jazz times along with the rest of the portfolio, combined with wider closures and run downs of all titles.

Either way, the whole thing feels pretty grim, both the structure of the purchase, the consequences, and BeBop’s attempt to frame its actions.

I gave it a quick read and proudly state that I understood almost nothing, aside from the fact that someone tried to sell something to someone, and now the seller is suing the buyer for 25 million. 

the same website had some earlier articles on the topic that I thought were a bit more accessible... 

7e310b_15278f3e85d54ed6aae88d17ec165a2d~

my main takeaway was that in order to buy and dismantle JazzTimes, the Royals needed to buy an entire ecosystem of niche magazines and websites... Plane & Pilot they managed to sell to new owners,  with others, all concerned parties were less lucky... here is another more accessible article, this time from the perspective of the founder of the  "Women Create" magazine (which was also sold on to a compassionate buyer after a few months of chaos)... 

Edited by Niko

I just added it to my Roku lineup. It's free!

A LOT of "international independent" film, not a lot of "jazz", but a Billy Bang documentary at least. Also some dance stuff (as in modern dance, not club stuff) that I can watch with interest 

If you remember BET Jazz... This is definitely not that (thankfully?)  What it IS... We will see.  

Right now..."jazz" is the least of its priorities, which has me wondering where/how/why about this pretty sizable library of content that is not at all "Jazz" related.

Stay tuned, maybe.. 

• 1 month later...

Paid, yes, definitely. That's a separate conversation. Not even a conversation, even.

Which one was it whose proudest accomplishment was a deep-dive into the career of George Butler? That was Murph, right? Talk about not only drinking the Kool Aid but also handing it out to others...

So strike  "white" from my statement then. Otherwise, it stands 

I think the $9/week checks are not defendable, but otoh, if I had to deal with people like that, I would be tempted to throw a statement pitch or two myself. 

OTOH, pay them and be done with them. Let them whine on and on about everything else.