Artists of Whom You Accumulated a Zillion LPs Without Really Trying

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those were "reissues' in only the most literal sense. They were Kenton issuing his old records on his own label, on his own dime. He bought(?) his old masters from Capitol to get them back in the market again.

At the time, all that reminded in print was a Duophonic repackaging of Artistry In Rhythm and a Greatest Hits package.

Do yeah, those Creative World reissue covers were ugly/generic but as tangible statements of an artist's self-determination, they were a real statement. The whole Creative World enterprise was, really. 

34 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Those were "reissues' in only the most literal sense. They were Kenton issuing his old records on his own label, on his own dime. He bought(?) his old masters from Capitol to get them back in the market again.

At the time, all that reminded in print was a Duophonic repackaging of Artistry In Rhythm and a Greatest Hits package.

Do yeah, those Creative World reissue covers were ugly/generic but as tangible statements of an artist's self-determination, they were a real statement. The whole Creative World enterprise was, really. 

Understood.  Either way, I still left them behind in the dollar bin.

I wound up with a lot of Herbie Mann albums, even though I didn't care for his playing. He always used good guitarists, so that was why I bought them.

Same thing with Red Norvo. I recently found out that Tal Farlow couldn't stand Red's playing either; he just played with him to get somewhere. When I met Tal, he and his friend would periodically joke to themselves saying, "It's 8:00pm in Las Vegas; Red's probably getting ready to start his first set." Then they'd laugh their heads off. I had no idea what that was about back then.

Edited by sgcim

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

The two artists with the most representation in my music collection are Charles Ives and Duke Ellington.  However, all of those records were accumulated with deliberate intent.  So enough of this rabbit trail...  Back to the thread topic at hand.  

I have tons of Duke, but that was a combination of very intentional buying and it randomly showing up for low dough.  For a while, I was finding all of his Columbia LPs for a dollar.

3 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I have tons of Duke, but that was a combination of very intentional buying and it randomly showing up for low dough.  For a while, I was finding all of his Columbia LPs for a dollar.

Yowza.  That's great that you were able to get all that terrific music so inexpensively.  IIRC, my one-and-only EKE bargain-bin find was The Togo Brava Suite on UA.  The top seam was busted, but the vinyl was fine.  That was a long time ago, near the beginning of my deep dive into Duke.

I've been able to get most of Coltrane's Impulse albums without really trying. I think non-jazz people buy them, get scared when things go all altissimo and sell them again. Ditto Archie Shepp, I've managed to pick up almost every Impulse album used in the past year. I remember when Ahmad Jamal albums were everywhere, but nowadays they get bought quickly. I work near two used record stores and I could pretty much buy Bob James entire non-ESP output in the next 15 minutes if needed.

20 minutes ago, bresna said:

If we're talking vinyl here, over the years I seem to have acquired a bunch of Gene Ammons & Lockjaw Davis LPs without even realizing it.

I've done the same, but being perfectly aware of it:  "More Jug!" "More Jaws!"

• 3 weeks later...

I've started buying lp's only last year to fill 'gaps' in my (CD-) collection and I have had no problems finding affordable copies of Les McCann on Pacific and Limelight. Early pressings (those lavish Limelight Gatefolds!) too. I was somewhat surprised by that. In my vinyl-collection of about hundred records there are seven titles by McCann.

There is a market gone absolutely bonkers out there, but not (so much) for early soul-jazz: Ramsey Lewis, Ray Bryant and McCann. Classic West Coast Jazz appears to be not that collectible either: Mulligans aplenty indeed, Bud Shank and Bob Cooper too. Which suits me just fine. 

West Coast hardbop, now that's a whole different story. It would be nice to find affordable Pacifics by Teddy Edwards or Carmell Jones but it's not going to happen. Thus far I've managed to pick-up two: Curtis Amy 'Blues Message' and Harold Land's 'Jazz Impressions of Folk Music'. Spent a little more on those too.

Edited by Mark13

For some reason I've accumulated loads of Keith Jarrett records - they just seem to regularly turn up in the cheapo boxes.

Always happy to find cheap Art Pepper records or Konitz I don't have.

I have a pile of Coleman Hawkins records as they're often dirt cheap and always good.

Kind of jealous of the US members finding Lockjaw or Cal Tjader records for a few dollars! It's a bit harder here in the UK... 😆

I think I´m more an outsider if it comes about more easy listenable jazz. 

So much stuff that was celebrated by different fans all over the decades (Mulligan, Brubeck, mainstream swing, soul jazz like maybe Ramsey Lewis and Adderly stuff in the style of "Mercy Mercy" just didn´t enter in my collections. 

I´m glad for everybody who likes one or the other style of jazz, that´s true. 

Just, that to my ears or to my maybe more complex personality the more "easy listening" kind of it doesn´t appeal. I want Bop´n Bird/Diz, Mingus, Trane, Ornette,  Jackie McLean or from the seventies mostly the electric Miles from 73-75, and most of all ,  all them fantastic drummers who would thrill me, Max. Elvin, Roy Haynes, Al Foster, Tony Williams and so on.....

That´s not a good example for comfortable evenings, but that´s my musical personality. 

I did some years of listening to easier stuff like fifties hardbop, those BN´s of the Messengers, Horace, Hank, Lee Morgan, but have not listened much to them for some years...., and maybe the only organ I love is Larry Young. 

On 5/23/2023 at 4:02 AM, Gheorghe said:

I think I´m more an outsider if it comes about more easy listenable jazz. 

So much stuff that was celebrated by different fans all over the decades (Mulligan, Brubeck, mainstream swing, soul jazz like maybe Ramsey Lewis and Adderly stuff in the style of "Mercy Mercy" just didn´t enter in my collections. 

I´m glad for everybody who likes one or the other style of jazz, that´s true. 

Just, that to my ears or to my maybe more complex personality the more "easy listening" kind of it doesn´t appeal. I want Bop´n Bird/Diz, Mingus, Trane, Ornette,  Jackie McLean or from the seventies mostly the electric Miles from 73-75, and most of all ,  all them fantastic drummers who would thrill me, Max. Elvin, Roy Haynes, Al Foster, Tony Williams and so on.....

That´s not a good example for comfortable evenings, but that´s my musical personality. 

I did some years of listening to easier stuff like fifties hardbop, those BN´s of the Messengers, Horace, Hank, Lee Morgan, but have not listened much to them for some years...., and maybe the only organ I love is Larry Young. 

Easy listening is relative. What's easy for some to listen to is challenging for others. 

33 minutes ago, Bill Nelson said:

By the time I finally counted 'em up, there were 11 Capitol Peggy Lee LPs on the shelf.

I mean, when you find such nice copies with those Capitol rainbow labels, how can you resist?

Yeah, I hear ya.  I accidentally/purposely accumulated a lot of her albums over the years.

Do you have Peggy's Placidyl album, with the note inside in which she thanks the medical community for keeping her medicated? 

4 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Do you have Peggy's Placidyl album, with the note inside in which she thanks the medical community for keeping her medicated? 

Ha! Yes. I found that one and bought it for the WTF? factor and was pleasantly surprised to find it to be up to the task of positively paralleling the product!

11 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

That would be a sure candidate for a topic(-to-be-created?) about "oddball/bizarre vinyl record cover inserts/inlay sheets". 😁