Mal Waldron and Steve Lacy: The Mighty Warriors

ghost of miles

Another upcoming release from Jazz Detective:

Another great find from the brilliant producer Zev Feldman, Mal Waldron & Steve Lacy: The Mighty Warriors: Live in Antwerp features a previously unreleased live concert recording from Waldron and Lacy with Reggie Workman and Andrew Cyrille. The 180-gram vinyl limited edition 2-LP set will be available via Elemental Music on Record Store Day, April 20, 2024 with the 2-CD set, streaming and downloads to follow on April 26.

The package includes reflections by producer Zev Feldman and acclaimed jazz writer Adam Shatz, as well as the testimonies of the concert’s bassist Reggie Workman, and drummer Andrew Cyrille. The extensive booklet also contains interviews with Jane Bunnett, David Virelles, David Liebman, Vijay Iyer, Evan Parker, and Mal Waldron’s widow, Hiromi Waldron, as well as never before seen photos from the actual concert taken by Hugo Peeters. The music was transferred from the original tapes (preserved by Patrick Wilen, son of legendary saxophonist Barney Wilen), mastered for vinyl by Matthew Lutthans at The Mastering Lab, and pressed by Memphis Record Pressing. 

4c0eedb3-0d68-978c-5e0f-bde22e2be5b2.png
24168602-6ded-f656-e975-23d8d2e751cc.jpg
1773188c-f9b0-ecef-cf62-0beca6dd6f31.jpg
Edited by ghost of miles

18 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Look forward to hearing this, but I gotta say the cover art and choice of album title are not too appealing.

I agree on that. Part from that I am so in! But I don't think that surprises anybody. The band with Lacy, Workman and Cyrille was magic. 

21 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Have there been other releases by this specific band?

Specifically, no. But the Mal Waldron Super Quartet - Live At Sweet Basil album from 1987 is close-- Eddie Moore in the drum chair rather than Cyrille.

23 minutes ago, colinmce said:

Specifically, no. But the Mal Waldron Super Quartet - Live At Sweet Basil album from 1987 is close-- Eddie Moore in the drum chair rather than Cyrille.

Yeah that’s an excellent record. Mal toured with Andrew Cyrille (and Workman) quite a few times  but the only official record with both is the Soul Eyes album from 1997. Plus the one you mentioned of course. Check out minute 8:38, always makes me smile:

This whole documentary by Tom Overberghe is lovely by the way but has been mentioned quiet a few times here of course.

Edited by Pim

• 2 months later...

IMG-7008.jpg

Not sure about the vinyl but the cd is great. CD 2 is amazing and CD 1 is very, very good. Lovely set of music, essential for both Lacy as Waldron aficionados. The interviews with Workman and Cyrille are great and the essays by Hiromi and Evan Parker are a lovely read. Recommended stuff. Another review on my blog after 1.5 years:

https://snake-out.blogspot.com/2024/04/1995-mal-waldron-steve-lacy-mighty.html

Glad this is a good one; I have the 2 cd set pre-ordered. I've been able to get all those I want on cd pre-ordered except the RSD only Nat King Cole 2 cd set . . .I hope to get it too in time.

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Glad this is a good one; I have the 2 cd set pre-ordered. I've been able to get all those I want on cd pre-ordered except the RSD only Nat King Cole 2 cd set . . .I hope to get it too in time.

You didn't find an online ordering store the Cole, did you? I'd love to get it as well.

40 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

You didn't find an online ordering store the Cole, did you? I'd love to get it as well.

No, it's still RSD and so no one will have it til after tomorrow at the earliest. It may show up on eBay first, we'll see if it's affordable.

Amazon has the Cole cd listed but as unavailable. Perhaps that’s a space saver.

Stores can start selling their unsold stock on Sunday.  I’m sure there will be many listings on Discogs tomorrow for RSD material. 

My local still had LP copies this morning so succumbed and will give it a spin later on.

Bread and jam for the next month !

On 2/15/2024 at 8:12 PM, tranemonk said:

Zev is killing me with these releases... Why is he putting these out while I'm waiting on my tax refund....??? Uggh... 😕

He has over-done himself with good stuff this year. Thank goodness this is only an annual thing.

Edited by sidewinder